Room Changes

cwd79

Hi all, hoping to get some info from you fine folks. 

Hubby and I booked a guarantee veranda cabin on the N. Amsterdam. If there is availability can we pay to change our room to a Signature Suite? We have tried to reach our PCC but haven't gotten a response and it's been several days. 

We've already made the final payment for the cruise. I wasn't sure if this is something that is allowed, or if anyone has done that previously? I'm assuming we would just pay the difference... Also, if we are able to do this, would we get the bonus suite points for mariner purposes since it technically would not be an upgrade/upsell since we'd be paying the difference?

Thanks all 🙂

1 hour ago, cwd79 said:

Hi all, hoping to get some info from you fine folks. 

Hubby and I booked a guarantee veranda cabin on the N. Amsterdam. If there is availability can we pay to change our room to a Signature Suite? We have tried to reach our PCC but haven't gotten a response and it's been several days. 

We've already made the final payment for the cruise. I wasn't sure if this is something that is allowed, or if anyone has done that previously? I'm assuming we would just pay the difference... Also, if we are able to do this, would we get the bonus suite points for mariner purposes since it technically would not be an upgrade/upsell since we'd be paying the difference?

Thanks all 🙂

I'm sorry you haven't been able to reach your PCC, sounds like you need to change to another 🙂  Ours answers within minutes.  Anyway, yes you can do this, we have done it after final payment.  I *think* you should get the Mariner points as long as you're paying full price for the suite.  In our case they made a deal and we didn't pay full price, and didn't get the points.  

If I were you I would call the 800 number and explain the situation.  Another one of your posts state that you booked online.  When you book online the PCC does not get credit for it.  I think this is why you have not heard back from the PCC.  When you book online it is assigned to a different department and not the PCC.    Yes, call and ask how much it would be to upgrade yourselves to a SS.  Also, make sure you understand the terms if you do.  If you are booked on any promotions those could be lost.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Yes - You will get the double Mariner points for the self-upgrade to Signature Suite.  We've done this several times for very little money, and are boarding Zuiderdam on Easter Sunday - Our latest self-upgrade to a SS.

Our OBC and specialty dining has not been affected.  We don't drink, so not sure about what this might do to a drink package.

You don't have to wait for your PCC - Just give HAL call and someone will be happy to help you.

Thanks for the info I will give the 800# a call. I didn't realize that booking online didn't give the PCC credit. I assumed, incorrectly, that their name would be attached to my mariner # anytime I book something. We've cruised with Holland America the past four cruises and only got OBC once and it was pretty minimal. We usually book within the final payment window so maybe that is why? 

7 hours ago, cwd79 said:

I didn't realize that booking online didn't give the PCC credit. I assumed, incorrectly, that their name would be attached to my mariner # anytime I book something.

I booked my first three cruises online myself without realizing that my assigned PCC is locked out from control of the booking. I finally learned that fact before the third cruise when I asked the PCC to book air travel. Had to sign a paper form (sent via email, sign and scan) that officially transferred control.

As for upgrading by calling in, yes, I did on one cruise. About two weeks after final payment, a Canada/New England cruise had major price drops. I called in and went from inside room to Lanai on the Maasdam for reasonable amount. I could have gone to an ocean view for free. The fresh booking price for that ocean view was actually about CDN$800 less than my payment already, but they would not refund any. I paid a few hundred more and got Lanai, loved the room.