Has anyone shown up before their boarding time?

Have received via our travel agent a message from Holland America asking that we bored at specific times by Our Deck State Room. I recall we had this same request by celebrity sailing out of Miami a year or so ago and it was not enforced. Is anybody had a similar situation sailing out of San Diego. Due to certain circumstances we would like to show up earlier than what has been recommended in the notification from Hal. I understand the reasons while they're doing that but they're also reasons why we might need to show up earlier than the requested or recommended time. I just want to make sure that we're not going to be held in some room for an hour or more until they board our deck. Any insight in this would be very helpful thank you very much

15 minutes ago, san diego spartan said:

Have received via our travel agent a message from Holland America asking that we bored at specific times by Our Deck State Room. I recall we had this same request by celebrity sailing out of Miami a year or so ago and it was not enforced. Is anybody had a similar situation sailing out of San Diego. Due to certain circumstances we would like to show up earlier than what has been recommended in the notification from Hal. I understand the reasons while they're doing that but they're also reasons why we might need to show up earlier than the requested or recommended time. I just want to make sure that we're not going to be held in some room for an hour or more until they board our deck. Any insight in this would be very helpful thank you very much

We recently boarded in San Diego.  Had a 1:00 "report" time.  Actually arrived at the terminal around 11:00.  No problem entering terminal, or checking in at that time.

It wasn't particularly intentional (as in "I want to be first on"), but we were arriving by bus into San Diego, and there was only one option for arrival time there.  We just headed for the terminal when we arrived.

Excellent thank you for the first-hand experience and replies. We don't need to be the first people on board but have reasons to need to be there earlier than what the assigned time is. And my husband is very impatient and I think if he was held in a room for an hour he would not be a happy camper.

Edited by san diego spartan

24 minutes ago, san diego spartan said:

Have received via our travel agent a message from Holland America asking that we bored at specific times by Our Deck State Room

HAL/San Diego boards by first-come-first-served... after 4* and 5* Mariners and suites (and maybe wedding parties?).

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 1

As a rule HAL will board the wheelchair and Pinnacle Suite passengers first.  Then the Neptune Suites and 4 and 5 star Mariners.

Reading reviews, many people have been asked to arrive at a later time but they still show up when they want to.

A lot of people like to have lunch in the dining room which is only from Noon until 1:30 so you have to get to the ship early in order to eat there.

• Like 1