Tipping on Oceania

Free and Easy

On 4/28/2019 at 5:21 PM, sunlover12 said:

Thank you Rob and Paul for your quick responses. I just looked at Oceania's website that lists their preferred travel agents. I hadn't seen that before.   Shows how little I know!   I was under the mistaken impression that the travel agent we have been using does a lot of business with O but they are not on this list.  I'll also ask our fellow cruisers this summer for recommendations. 

Where do you find the preferred travel agents list?

If you actually review that list there is not a single Travel Agent listed. They are all Travel Agencies which are comprised of multiple Travel Agents. If you contact the Agency, ensure you tell them you want an Agent with lots of experience with Oceania, not just who ever is next up on getting a referral list.

Rather sad the people in Miami struggle with the difference between Agency and Agent!

58 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Rather sad the people in Miami struggle with the difference between Agency and Agent!

Is the travel business analogous to the real estate business?  In real estate, the contract is technically with the agency (aka brokerage), the contract also specifies the agent, and you (or funds from closing) pay the agency, then the agency pays the agent.  If travel is similar, that could explain why it is a list of agencies - because O's contract is with the agency, not the agent...

Of course, this doesn't make it any easier for consumers to find the right agent 🙂

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

Is the travel business analogous to the real estate business?  In real estate, the contract is technically with the agency (aka brokerage), the contract also specifies the agent, and you (or funds from closing) pay the agency, then the agency pays the agent.  If travel is similar, that could explain why it is a list of agencies - because O's contract is with the agency, not the agent...

Of course, this doesn't make it any easier for consumers to find the right agent 🙂

I thought this thread was on TIPPING