Size of tips expected on shore excursions

travelholics

We are booked on a Baltic cruise and we are considering a 2 day excursion at St Petersburg. The P and O tours information says that everything is covered, but does not mention tip to guide and driver, whilst outside tours state 10% guide and 5% driver tips. We are not adverse to giving a tip, but we wonder if this is included with P and O. The tour price is around 260 pounds each for 2 days. It is our first P and O cruise and we live in Canada so are not sure of the procedures. Many thanks for help from those who have taken company tours before.

Tips won't be included and will be entirely up to you. To be honest we generally just give a few Euros to the guide and based on my observations, this is far more than most people tend to do. I'm not sure about Russia but there is far less of a tipping culture in Europe than the Americas.

I have taken 7 cruises which included St Petersburg. The first couple we took the ships excursions but subsequent ones we used Alla and Denrus.

Both companies have been excellent and were far less expensive than the ship’s tours.

As said it's entirely up to you. There are no guidelines for excursion tipping.

If we think the guide and driver have enhanced our day we will give 5 euros or dollars depending where we are. In fact I noticed,  after a recent very informative tour of Ypres and Flanders Field from Britannia, the guide ended up with a wad of 5 Euro notes, so that perhaps indicates 'the norm'.

I think the guide and driver share the tips.

Edited by jake 26
Addition

to be blunt, I my experience most people do not tip the shore excursion guide or the driver.  in fact if they open the rear doors of the coach that's where most people get off! 😂 the ones that get off at the front might drop a few coins into the tray. 

When we do trips which is quite rare, would always tip. As I have a mobility scooter the driver helps me and so is going that bit further.

if you are on a long two day trip I would have thought in the region of 10 $\€\£ per person would be about right.