Changes in Princess

flhusker

7 hours ago, caribill said:

I was on a Princess cruise several months ago where they had changed the late seating time to 7:30. While 7:30 is an OK time for us, they did not change the scheduling of other activities.

What used to end at 7:45 (such as the early show you mention) still ended at 7:45.  The Captain's welcome and farewell speeches were still scheduled to begin at 7:30 and be over by 7:45.  Trivia that started at 7:15 was still going until 7:45.  etc.

So late seating passengers could

a) skip the event they would normally attend so they could be at dinner on time

b) attend the event and walk out early, possibly interrupting a performance

c) go to dinner at 7:45 and inconvenience others at their assigned table

Neither a, b or c is a good situation.

ARGH!  We have often had a feeling that there is a complete disconnect between the CD and the Dining Room Manager.  But we think passengers have three choices:

1.  Modify their own schedule to coordinate with the ship schedule.

2.  Stubbornly stick to their own schedule and suffer the consequences

3.  Stubbornly stick to their own schedule and whine/complain how the schedule does not work!

Probably because we cruise on many different lines (5 cruises in the next 12 months on 5 different cruise lines) we have been programmed to modify our personal schedules to fit each cruise.  DW and I actually spend about 5 minutes (before a cruise) looking at the various schedule options :).  On Princess (and most other lines) we have found that using Open or Select Dining is a very valuable decision when it comes to dealing with crazy schedules.  This means we can eat dinner when it best fits our personal schedule for that particular night.   The days when Fixed sitting was the way of cruising is long gone.  Those that insist on sticking to a late sitting are often going to find some schedule conflicts.  Those that insist on eating dinner at tea or cocktail time (called early sitting) pay a price in that their shows are usually the most crowded!   If we are on a Princess cruise where the early show is at 7, then we simply go to that show, maybe have a cocktail after the show, and then go to dinner between 8:15 and 8:30 when there is no queue for Select.   Or perhaps we might have other late night plans and head to dinner right after the show (at 7:45) and then join friends for later night entertainment and cocktails around 10.  

And then we get the crazy CDs that decide to put on a 3rd show...often at 10pm (because the earlier shows are too crowded and they are getting lots of complaints.  When they have a 10pm show perhaps we will change our entire evening schedule, go have cocktails around 7, head to dinner about 7:45 and then off the 10pm show after dinner.  It all comes down to the very novel idea which is to eat dinner when it works for the cruiser (Select Dining).

Hank

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Georgie562 said:

Keep in mind the grass is not always greener on the other side..

I can''t wait to Celebrate my 35th Birthday on Princess this Monday!

I hope they" treat me old", I hope they cater to me, I hope they cook for me, I hope they make up my bed, I hope they make me good drinks.

Have a Happy Birthday!

8 hours ago, caribill said:

I was on a Princess cruise several months ago where they had changed the late seating time to 7:30. While 7:30 is an OK time for us, they did not change the scheduling of other activities.

What used to end at 7:45 (such as the early show you mention) still ended at 7:45.  The Captain's welcome and farewell speeches were still scheduled to begin at 7:30 and be over by 7:45.  Trivia that started at 7:15 was still going until 7:45.  etc.

So late seating passengers could

a) skip the event they would normally attend so they could be at dinner on time

b) attend the event and walk out early, possibly interrupting a performance

c) go to dinner at 7:45 and inconvenience others at their assigned table

Neither a, b or c is a good situation.

Option "b" isn't all that inconsiderate if you know in advance that you plan on leaving early. Just arrive early & get a seat towards the rear in the aisle. Hardly anyone will notice 2 people leaving early.

We do it all the time at the end of any performance since we don't care to listen to the CD announce things to do later that evening.

14 hours ago, Daniel A said:

DW and I are active seniors.  I didn't know we were required to eat dinner at a particular time.  We generally eat dinner when it fits into our active lifestyle.  What time are we supposed to eat dinner?

R

4 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

The way Princess runs it?.....😁😁😁

Bob

(p.s.) Just a little Saturday morning humor....

We're active seniors and go on cruises to take a break from our schedules. All and all we really like Princess. We have been using them since the 90's. I have no complaints .