menus and daily planner

markf

I have read most of ATW blog  currently running, but there is little talk about  entertainment , things to do  and  actual menus.

I am doing some early home work on a  future ATW cruise..need  to figure which line t take 

I understand your concern but I will say this -- not having done the ATW cruise and not contemplating doing so.

Oceania is known for having superior food.  I won't say it's the best ever, as others have done, but it's certainly consistently high.  In our past experience menus in the GDR changed roughly every 14 days -- perhaps I should say "repeated".  Menus in the specialties don't change.  Terrace offerings typically will have at least some of what the GDR has.  On the smaller ships (in which category Insignia is) the grill in Terrace is smaller, and so offerings are no doubt fewer than what you'd find on Marina or Riviera.  After all, the space is about half of what it is on the latter ships.

Having said that normally the menus in GDR repeat every 14 days or so, I'm not at all sure that this is the case on an ATW cruise.  People who are on your ship for 6 months may indeed want more variety than that.  Hopefully past travelers can add some insight on this.

As to activities, all the ships have various activities.  It depends on the ship, staff, itineraries, etc.  Usually there are lecturers at various times -- again, I'm talking about more standard itineraries but I find it hard to believe that the ATW would have FEWER than a 14 day cruise!

Have you looked at any of the Currents that have been published?  They can give you some idea.  I'm sure that past cruisers and current cruisers can tell you MUCH more than I can.

If I were tempted by an ATW cruise, I'd definitely have Oceania at the top of my list.  But I'm a regular Oceania cruiser and so I'm prejudiced.

Mura

thanks--I have taken anout  35  cruises, but  none on oceania.

I have taken YC on MSC, Haven on NCL , Aqua  on X.

I will have to take a 30 day crusie first and see how that works.

I have not seen a Current publication--I do not recall seeing one in the ATW blog  that is on CC.

On various threads people have posted photos of an issue of Currents.  This is distributed every night around turn-down time and describes the next day's activities as well as information about a port.  I think there have been a few shown on the ATW blog but at 72 pages or so, that would be a lot of material to wade through in hopes of finding one!

If you'll email me so I have your address I'll look and see if I have an old one in my files.  Usually I strip them down to just the first page after a cruise is over, but I should have one somewhere.

Mura

6 hours ago, markf said:

thanks 

how  do i email you privately?

I wil search  for Currents on CC--I am sure I can find it-

The Preismans have photos of menus, currents etc and they can be Google searched. They may be a few yrs old and not for a rtw, but not much can change. It gives you another research avenue. 

8 hours ago, markf said:

I have taken YC on MSC, Haven on NCL , Aqua  on X.

I will have to take a 30 day crusie first and see how that works.

Haven't done MSC but have done Haven on NCL and Aqua on X-- I think you'll find as we have that Oceania food is significantly better than the premium dining rooms on those large ships. Like others have said, Oceania food isn't going to be a Michelin star restaurant ashore, but its pretty near the top, if not there, in terms of cruise ships in the MDR.