MedallionNet experience

ccruzer123

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

Apparently if you cruise Ruby Princess to Australia the MedallionNet Internet service is totally awesome. If you then cruise around Australia/New Zealand on the same ship the service remains amazing. If you then switch to Majestic Princess and continue to cruise in the same area the service is beyond abominable. Princess really needs to get their act together if they are going to charge for this service and advertise it as "the best Internet at sea".

Yes our recent Ruby cruise from Sydney to New Zealand had really good internet all the way. For some reason even my subscription tv provider was able to be streamed all through the cruise and it normally doesn't work outside Australia. I wasn't using a VPN. The Net was fast and streaming never buffered at all as did video calls.

There are youtube videos about the medallion net; in one video Princess talks about losing the satellite signal in parts of the world or different locations in the respective hemisphere.  They say in Alaska, and any far north regions like Norway etc, the signal will be very weak.  I sailed on Caribbean Princess last year in western Caribbean and the signal was super strong and fast the entire cruise.  I don't know if this helps explain for some passengers; but for me it was great. I sail Sky Princess to New England and Canada this fall so will see if there is any difference with bandwidth and speed.  Have fun out there.