Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

Looks like delivery is set for October 26th based on this post. It will be interesting to see how they use all that time before the inaugural and whether they will do press cruises both in Europe and US, as they have left a lot of time before revenue cruises.

https://twitter.com/josietweekly/status/1656272380145041408?s=61&t=jgidOHN0p037rV5juBJ9TQ

Edited by Jumping Cruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"

Northern Europe’s largest gantry crane, nicknamed “Baby” at the Meyer Turku shipyard, lifted a single block of cabins for Royal Caribbean’s new Icon of the Seas, weighing more than 900 tons recently, Royal Caribbean Group officials said Tuesday.

The nine-deck, roughly 60-meters-wide block was moved in one day. It was the largest ever lifted in Europe, as far as shipyard officials knew.

Meyer Turku CEO Tim Meyer said there were no nerves in the move. His team had done a detailed study of how the steel would flex while being lifted and knew exactly how it should be handled while being moved into place.

“It’s very easy,” Meyer deadpanned. “It’s like building a Lego ship.”

While hoisting the cross section of cruise ship cabins was a feat of engineering, it was also an example of Icon’s aggressive build schedule. Putting the blocks together shoreside is much faster than doing so on the ship, so the larger the block moved, the less schedule burden.

In all, the Icon consisted of 201 blocks, with roughly one installed a day. Each block required about 100 meters of welding once in place.

Building the world’s largest cruise ship meant roughly 2,600 workers a day coming to  the Turku, Finland shipyard, representing some 20 nationalities from countless subcontractors. The ship will debut in Miami next January.

The Turku shipyard opened in 1737 — 58 years before the Meyer family started building ships.

Royal Caribbean Group President and CEO Jason Liberty called the yard the “tip of the spear” of innovation.

In their seventh generation of ownership and 228th year in operation, the Meyer family remains both focused and humble.

Patriarch Bernard Meyer, CEO of Meyer Werft, declined to spend much time looking backward.

“We have no time to be proud; we have work to do,” he said."

Inside the Construction of Royal Caribbean's Icon of the Seas - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

• Like 1

I'm hoping they do more than just music and lighting in the Pearl.  From what I've seen online, these things can do much more.  It would be a waste of $$$ and technology not to do video of some kind in there.  They can project anything on those walls like the IMAX etc.  Can't wait to check it out.

• Like 1

Just watching   television  on Explorer,  at least 4 channels are about Icon of the Seas 
Seams  looking at Royal Caribbean  production  videos only  slim young  people  with young  children are allowed on Icon
That counts me out, I don't  fit into that category  on all counts 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

On 5/12/2023 at 12:27 PM, sowhat said:

Just watching   television  on Explorer,  at least 4 channels are about Icon of the Seas 
Seams  looking at Royal Caribbean  production  videos only  slim young  people  with young  children are allowed on Icon

Me either but I'm going to go anyway!

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2023 at 6:27 PM, sowhat said:

Icon is the second new ship I'm not interested in going at all!

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 5:41 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

Aw were you one of those on the early cruises.

I did the 6th and we got the full Aqua show but not effectors

Don't like the small pools and the layout of the pooldeck and the missing features and the loud movie screen!

They sure cheaped out on that ship!

2 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Don't like the small pools and the layout of the pooldeck and the missing features and the loud movie screen!

Disagree wholeheartedly... i've been on all Oasis Class ships and Wonder is my favorite by far.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

well yes but I heard the NCL Prima really has small pools.    But at least Oasis does have 4. If it is pools you want, go on new ICON.  

6 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Well good for you! Not booking it - so more space for you on Wonder and Icon!

Well why do you care so much about the ship, if you have no plans to go on it.  One less opinion that doesn’t matter

Edited by Cruise for vacation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cruise for vacation said:

Well why do you care so much about the ship, if you have no plans to go on it.  One less opinion that doesn’t matter

I am very disappointed about the new ship and try to see if maybe something will come up that will change my opinion - but so far not....

• Like 1