Jacobite Steam Train Excursion - Oban, UK

I haven't done this one - yet, but I have been on a number of similar trips. The route takes you through some of the finest scenery Britain has to offer and the vintage carriages are pulled by a steam locomotive. 

I can think of a lot worse ways of spending nine hours, although I would probably pony up the extra for a first class seat.

13 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

Has anyone done this excursion from Oban and if yes, is it worth the long 9 hour day?

We've driven that part of Scotland, including Oban to Fort William, which is probably where you'll board the train.

The drive is something over an hour, but through great scenery. For the outbound journey, best to sit on the left side of the bus (along the shore of Loch Linhe) and perhaps also on the train (for the Glenfinnan Viaduct), though of course that will all be reversed for the return trip and hopefully same-seats will be allocated on both bus and train.

Despite the high fare, we'd have loved to ride the Jacobite but it didn't tie in with our road-trip timings.

JB :classic_smile:

I've done the trip between Oban and Fort William lots of times, the Jacobite twice.

Its a scenic bus trip, its an even more scenic train ride.  The one thing you can't book is the weather and it rains a lot in the west of Scotland.

I assume there are alternative day trips from Oban, but this one is worthwhile.