Loyal Celebrity fans thinking of NCL...

lysolqn

We've been loyal Celebrity cruisers for years - big fans of the Solstice class. We followed the build of the Edge for two years and were on the first preview cruise in December.

We had never sailed NCL until last October - always assumed we'd hate it. But I was speaking at a conference in Seattle last October, and we really wanted to add a Pacific coast cruise to our trip. The only ship with dates that worked for our trip was the Bliss.

So we sailed Bliss in October and Edge in December. Since that time, we've canceled a seven-day in an Edge suite and booked a seven-day in the Haven on the Bliss. In a head-to-head comparison of the two lines' brand new ships, Bliss was our hands-down favorite:

• Buffet on bliss is significantly better with better variety.
  • The thermal spa on Bliss is just divine.
  • The entertainment on Bliss is head and shoulders above entertainment on Edge.
  • The staff on Bliss was more customer service focused.

We still love the Solstice class and are open to cruising Celebrity again at some point. But, for now, we're NCL converts all the way.

Well, I've sailed NCL, Princess, Holland, Celebrity, and Crystal.  Crystal was obviously the clear winner-but so pricey, I doubt we will do it again.  The other 4 were all very nice and honestly, except for more kids on NCL, and more older folks on Holland, there was not that much difference as far as hubby and I are concerned.  We have had a terrific "trip of a lifetime" on all of them.  Many say the entertainment on NCL is better, and the food on Celebrity is better.  We haven't found it to be so.  We now guide our trips based on the itinerary and the "value" (ahem, am I getting a good deal).  I guess one's attitude is what makes the experience and we are so happy to be on vacation it makes it all good.

Both lines have bloated pricing due to price bundling with beverage packages.  Also, NCL absurd 20% gratuity on the outrageous inflated value ($99 per day) turns me away from ever choosing that promo.  However, still stuck with the inflated prices.

Celebrity's prices are through the roof and we are looking more at Royal now.

I like them both.  We've sailed many more times on Celebrity than NCL but always in suites.  I like Celebrity's suite class but NCL's  Haven is pretty nice too.  My June cruise in on NCL and my November cruise is on Celebrity.  Since we are satisfied with both, I look at embarkation port and ease of getting there, along with the itinerary.  While Celebrity "feels" a little bit classier, we find their night life to be  sleepy compared to the evening entertainment options on NCL.

We were loyal Celebrity cruisers for many years but really got tired of the lack of quality entertainment at night and the lackluster quality of the cruises overall.  We tried The NCL Haven on Getaway and loved the experience!  Food in the Haven dining room was equal or better than luminae on Celebrity and the entertainment choices in the evening were incredible in comparison!  We're senior citizens who cruised in top suites on Celebrity and are not sorry we made the change...already booked on the Escape Haven next Jan.   Never was bothered by kids or the number of people on the ship...loved the Haven pool and sundeck area!   Try something new and enjoy!

On 5/2/2019 at 6:10 PM, 4774Papa said:

Prior to the price bundling by NCL we would buy a wine package that would be 90% of what we drank on our cruise.  We would pay about $300 for that package.  I don't think NCL offers that package anymore.

I assume you are referring to Viva Vino. It is still offered, and the hard working team at NCL headquarters who deal with putting prices up don’t seem to be aware of it. It costs the same now as it did years ago.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

I assume you are referring to Viva Vino. It is still offered, and the hard working team at NCL headquarters who deal with putting prices up don’t seem to be aware of it. It costs the same now as it did years ago.

On our last cruise on the Dawn last Fall, I attempted to purchase the Viva Vino package by calling NCL prior to the cruise.  It was a mystery to the NCL rep.

13 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

On our last cruise on the Dawn last Fall, I attempted to purchase the Viva Vino package by calling NCL prior to the cruise.  It was a mystery to the NCL rep.

It has never been available to purchase before the cruise. You have to buy it onboard.