UP FOR SALE

Looking at a shipping web site i see Dream and Celebration up for sale at $18,ooo,ooo and Celibration at $17,ooo,ooo

and all of the Millennium ships from Celebrity up to year 2002 and a smattering of Royal,s vision class, just a thought

any taker,s.

33 minutes ago, so,ton saint said:

Looking at a shipping web site i see Dream and Celebration up for sale at $18,ooo,ooo and Celibration at $17,ooo,ooo

and all of the Millennium ships from Celebrity up to year 2002 and a smattering of Royal,s vision class, just a thought

any taker,s.

I think most of the regulars would prefer a model on the mantelpiece for memories,lol.

A lot of the websites showing cruise ships for sale show ships which are not actually for sale! They just use the hook to get people to visit their site for whatever purpose.

Anyway it would be unlikely that TUI would put the Celebration up for sale after only buying it last year! As the Dream is still owned by a Costa/Carnival associated company I would guess it is up to them but TUI have announced it will be going for an extensive refurbishment in Jan- Feb 2020.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 9:57 AM, so,ton saint said:

any taker,s.

Whats the site?

Doesnt surprise me that Dream is up for sale.  I would say it must be prime for replacement for TUI as she now is quite out of sync with the rest of their fleet.  

Presumably they will keep using her until they can find a buyer.

5ish years before the Dream will be moved on I think

Marella Cruises has revealed it is set to retire its so-called "classic ships" -- Marella Dream and Marella Celebration -- in five years' time.

The two ships, who between them have clocked up an impressive 68 years' service, will leave the Marella fleet by 2024, according to the line's managing director, Chris Hackney

Speaking to Cruise Critic, Hackney said: "They've been in the fleet a number of years and the next stage will be looking at replacement plans for when we retire those ships further down the line. 

"I would say they [Dream and Celebration] will retire in the next five years. That's realistically the timeline. We haven't got concrete plans for when they leave and what replacement options will be -- clearly we are in the market to grow and not shrink," Hackney revealed.

However, before that Dream is heading for a two-month dry dock in January 2020 that will see the ship undergo a complete refurbishment.

Edited by Jim The Scot

On 5/25/2019 at 2:33 PM, Jim The Scot said:

5ish years before the Dream will be moved on I think

Marella Cruises has revealed it is set to retire its so-called "classic ships" -- Marella Dream and Marella Celebration -- in five years' time.

The two ships, who between them have clocked up an impressive 68 years' service, will leave the Marella fleet by 2024, according to the line's managing director, Chris Hackney

Speaking to Cruise Critic, Hackney said: "They've been in the fleet a number of years and the next stage will be looking at replacement plans for when we retire those ships further down the line. 

"I would say they [Dream and Celebration] will retire in the next five years. That's realistically the timeline. We haven't got concrete plans for when they leave and what replacement options will be -- clearly we are in the market to grow and not shrink," Hackney revealed.

However, before that Dream is heading for a two-month dry dock in January 2020 that will see the ship undergo a complete refurbishment.

They are being a little vague there with "will retire in the next five years" and "We haven't got concrete plans for when they leave", rather than setting a specific date.  Presumably that retirement date from their fleet will depend on when they get them both sold on.  I would say there will be a hard stop though at five years and they'll stop using them if not sold before then.

Yes, the Dream could do with a freshen up.  Even if they spend £1 million on it, if that helps keep her going for another 4-5 years then it would be well worth it for them.  She must be pulling in £1 million a week in revenue for them so presumably the figures stack up.

Will be interesting to see if they do anything about the engine noise / vibration that seems to come up as a complaint all too frequently in the reviews.

9 minutes ago, Sheila49 said:

I thought it was the Celebration which had a problem with vibration. In 6 cruises on the Dream the only noise we have heard was from the thrusters on docking.

There were people when we were on her complaining and asking to change rooms.  Really "cant get to sleep with the noise" type problems.  We were in a balcony cabin on Deck 8 and those are to the rear.  We had a significant amount of noise and vibration even up there.  Would not like to have been on Deck 5 or below.

Referenced here in reviews..

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=642761

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=544094

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=619460

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=654181

One example -

"

Cabin 5197
The noise and constant vibration made it impossible to sleep while sailing which was through night every night. request move but not move till last night. Slept out on deck day at sea and slept in day while ship moored. Same for othe passengers. Several passengers moved. One 85 year old gentleman was moved 3 times."

HI after Dreams refit in winter 2020  she is due to work a long side Explorer 2 in the Caribbean for 20/21 a company can pull a ship away any time they want to if its to be sold or to earn more money else were just look at Royal pulling  INDEPENDANCE away from So,ton and home base her in FT  lauderdale  that was in 12 MONTHS may 2020

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pgilc1 said:

They are being a little vague there with "will retire in the next five years" and "We haven't got concrete plans for when they leave", rather than setting a specific date.  Presumably that retirement date from their fleet will depend on when they get them both sold on.  I would say there will be a hard stop though at five years and they'll stop using them if not sold before then.

Yes, the Dream could do with a freshen up.  Even if they spend £1 million on it, if that helps keep her going for another 4-5 years then it would be well worth it for them.  She must be pulling in £1 million a week in revenue for them so presumably the figures stack up.

Will be interesting to see if they do anything about the engine noise / vibration that seems to come up as a complaint all too frequently in the reviews.

Agree its very vague even contradictory

I just feel if they are going to spend millions on a total refurb they are unlikely to sell in the short term

38 minutes ago, Jim The Scot said:

Agree its very vague even contradictory

I just feel if they are going to spend millions on a total refurb they are unlikely to sell in the short term

i would say the price this side of the refit may be more negotiable than the price post refit.  Which is probably fair enough.  If they spend a million+ on her then its a million+ someone else doesnt have to.

We spoke to the captain on her as part of the bridge tour on this subject and he was suitably vague also about her remaining tenure (clearly he didnt mention it was up for sale).  I guess a vessel like this can take some considerable time to sell / negotiate the sale of, so they will be playing the long game.

Edited by pgilc1

46 minutes ago, pgilc1 said:

i would say the price this side of the refit may be more negotiable than the price post refit.  Which is probably fair enough.  If they spend a million+ on her then its a million+ someone else doesnt have to.

We spoke to the captain on her as part of the bridge tour on this subject and he was suitably vague also about her remaining tenure (clearly he didnt mention it was up for sale).  I guess a vessel like this can take some considerable time to sell / negotiate the sale of, so they will be playing the long game.

If Marella spends millions on her then its more someone is going to have to pay to buy her?Will she be worth it when were talking about a ship many years old irrespective of an extensive internal refurb if thats what is taking place.

Its like putting new seats in the shell of a car many years old 😂

Poor analogy buts its late on a Sunday night

To be fair i,d be surprised if the captain knew much of the Dreams tenure

Anyway,were off on her on Tuesday and looking forward to it and contemplating on booking her post refurb for next year

It is unlikely dream will get the amount of money spent on her that Explorer got when she moved to TUI as Mein Schiff 1. I understand that was 50 million euros and it shows aboard the ship. It is in a different league to the Celebration/Dream. For me Explorer sets the new standard, any 'new' ship added to the fleet has to at least match that standard.

They won't fix the noise/vibration issues because they were there from when the ship was built, all ships have them to a greater or lesser extent. Apparently to fix Celebrations 'vibration' problem would cost more than the ship is worth. Dreams fate is like Celebrations, a beach in India.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

If Marella spends millions on her then its more someone is going to have to pay to buy her?Will she be worth it when were talking about a ship many years old irrespective of an extensive internal refurb if thats what is taking place.

Its like putting new seats in the shell of a car many years old 😂

Poor analogy buts its late on a Sunday night

To be fair i,d be surprised if the captain knew much of the Dreams tenure

Anyway,were off on her on Tuesday and looking forward to it and contemplating on booking her post refurb for next year

I dont forsee it being a massive multi million £ major refit.  I think it will be enough to keep it "appealing" for a while yet.

I would say they budget for minor refits every X years to keep things looking ship (!) shape.  To use your car analogy, it would be like leaving your car in to get some scuffs sorted out and maybe some damaged or worn trim replaced.

He was aware of the refit but was suitably vague about her future, talking only about the short to medium term 2-3 years.  He certainly wasnt "oh she'll be with Marella for a long time to come", so i think at least he was aware she was in her twilight years with Marella.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

It is unlikely dream will get the amount of money spent on her that Explorer got when she moved to TUI as Mein Schiff 1. I understand that was 50 million euros and it shows aboard the ship. It is in a different league to the Celebration/Dream. For me Explorer sets the new standard, any 'new' ship added to the fleet has to at least match that standard.

They won't fix the noise/vibration issues because they were there from when the ship was built, all ships have them to a greater or lesser extent. Apparently to fix Celebrations 'vibration' problem would cost more than the ship is worth. Dreams fate is like Celebrations, a beach in India.

I agree totally.  I think it will be a minimum amount to keep her fresh and appealing.  Enough to see her through her last years and maybe help her appeal to prospective new owners.

Its funny RE: the noise / vibration because it certainly wasnt every night (for us anyway), but maybe it was when they needed to use both engines at once?  Not sure.  For us (on Dream) it was very noticable but not enough to stop us sleeping, but there definitely were passengers for whom it was a major problem.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=653004

"Our cabin was 5209. It was at the rear (aft). The noise level was horrendous, we seemed to be above the engines and for everyone on the last quarter of this corridor it was the same. It went on all night of course so no sleep! We were like zombies. I recorded it and it sounds like the floor and roof and walls are giving way. A gentleman next to us who had complained numerous times and asked to be moved was told by 2 letters the cabin was adequate. "

Edited by pgilc1

It's funny reading about the vibration on the Dream.

I didn't hear a single thing my first time on the ship. Fast forward 10 months and I couldn't relax at all or sleep from the vibration. In the same cabin I'd previously occupied.

1 hour ago, Vitalsign said:

We always have 7125 7129 7131 which are deluxe cabins in the middle which was added to the ship - no noise from anywhere or vibration at all 

I've no doubt that on probably 2/3rds or more of the ship theres no issue.  It was an observation that there was a lot of engine noise and vibration in the rear part of the ship (now) and musing as to whether or not they may attempt to fix it when its in for a refit.

We have always been midships or forward on deck 5 or 6 on the Dream which may be why we didn't have an issue with vibration. We have not been on her since September 18 but hoping to go on again next year so hope the problem is fixed after the refit.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at TUI profits report TUI Cruises are making more profit than the other areas of business and TUI would not keep Dream and Celebration if they were losing money never mind considering a major expensive refit

As a TUI shareholder this is pleasing however due to 15 grounded Boeing Max planes costs have escalated and this has reflected in the share price falling in the last 6 months - boohoo ☹️😪