Azura arrival time in Stavanger

Babyeddiedog

Can anyone who's done the Fjords this year tell me what time we're likely to be able to disembark in Stavanger? The cruise port timetable has us there from 0900 hrs and I have a choice of an independent tour at either 10am or midday. I'd prefer the early one but hate the scrum of getting off when the ship first docks 🙂

I dont think weve ever got into Stavanger that late. usually wander off before 10am. When ever weve done private tours anywhere they tend to know when the ships are due in and we are always told 1/2 hour after its docked, rather than a set time. Surely If you have booked them  they will not set off at 10am with nobody on the tour, because for some reason you are not in port until later.

• Thanks 1

There's a website that will tell you all the times for your cruise. It's www.cruisecal.com and you click on the 'Itinerary lookup' tab. Find your ship from the drop down menu then choose the date of your cruise. I use it all the time and it gives you the times you arrive and depart every port. I did  a 35 day cruise recently and it was 100% accurate.

Edited by tartanexile81
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tartanexile81 said:

There's a website that will tell you all the times for your cruise. It's www.cruisecal.com and you click on the 'Itinerary lookup' tab.

Thanks for that. I normally use Cruise TT but this seems a better resource. It tells me that Zenith docks at 8am (which isn't showing on CruiseTT) 

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We were on Azura over Easter and think Stavanger was our first port of call and it was 9.30 am.

We had a fabulous time 🙂

Just what I wanted to know thanks, glad to hear you had a good trip!

5 hours ago, Babyeddiedog said:

Thanks for that. I normally use Cruise TT but this seems a better resource. It tells me that Zenith docks at 8am (which isn't showing on CruiseTT) 

Just what I wanted to know thanks, glad to hear you had a good trip!

Hi, just double checked and it was our excursion that started at 9.30am so am guessing that we docked at 9am as they usually leave a 30 minute gap. :-)

If you are thinking of doing any excursions just ask as we did 4 P&O ones

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Babyeddiedog said:

I've compared cruisett with cruisecal and there's no doubt cruisecal is more accurate. We rarely do P&O tours and cruisecal is a  Godsend for us organising transportation, tours etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

I've compared cruisett with cruisecal and there's no doubt cruisecal is more accurate. We rarely do P&O tours and cruisecal is a  Godsend for us organising transportation, tours etc

What we have found is that, if you check out your shore excursions on your personaliser, then your ship will dock half an hour before the first excursion goes... just a tip to pass on :-)

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Hi, just double checked and it was our excursion that started at 9.30am so am guessing that we docked at 9am as they usually leave a 30 minute gap. 🙂

If you are thinking of doing any excursions just ask as we did 4 P&O ones

😉 In that case I think I'll give the 10am boat trip a miss, it's always a bit like a rugby scrum getting off first thing.

I usually prefer to do my own thing, but there is a ship excursion to the gardens at Flor og Fjaere, I don't suppose you did that one did you? My other option is a cruise to Pulpit Rock (I'd do that independently hence my asking about original post)

1 hour ago, Babyeddiedog said:

😉 In that case I think I'll give the 10am boat trip a miss, it's always a bit like a rugby scrum getting off first thing.

I usually prefer to do my own thing, but there is a ship excursion to the gardens at Flor og Fjaere, I don't suppose you did that one did you? My other option is a cruise to Pulpit Rock (I'd do that independently hence my asking about original post)

Yes we have and they are a sight to behold!  This link shows the beauty of the gardens and the story of how they were developed from quite a barren landscape is fascinating.   There are tropical gardens, Italian, cactus, beach, rose, Japanese and so many different themed areas of planting.  Its amazing.

https://florogfjare.no/no/bildegalleri/

Here is a link to a previous thread where the gardens were discussed from post #30 on.

Were going to Norway again later this year and it's the one trip I'd been determined to book before we travel in case it was sold out.  We're booked and will be going again - not a cheap trip but so memorable and impressive! 

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2584758-tips-for-these-norwegian-ports-ship-excursions/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-56652665

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are doing a boat trip to Pulpit Rock you will be looking up at a large rock formation from the water.  I imagine that will be rather similar to vistas you will get at other times during your cruise and travels down the Fjords in which case the Gardens would offer something very different.  Just a thought.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.  Norway is truly beautiful.

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Babyeddiedog said:

We did the Pulpit Rock excursion with P&O (which was basically the same one you can do privately) and it was ok - nothing special I suppose. It took about 50 minutes to an hour to get to the area where the mountains were high and we didn't go down most of the fjord. We also saw a superb waterfall and they collected some water for us to drink. Also went in to a small cavern with soaring cliffs and stopped for waffles and coffee. Then it was the 1 hour ride back to the port. It was a good choice for us as we weren't particularly stuck with Stavanger and wouldn't have known what else there was to do there to be honest. We did have a walk around the sites after but it didn't take long. We were lucky and the weather was stunning, so not sure what it would be like in the pouring rain. If we were to go again the option of the gardens sounds wonderfully, particularly if you are going later in the year (we were there late April).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Presto2 said:

What we have found is that, if you check out your shore excursions on your personaliser, then your ship will dock half an hour before the first excursion goes... just a tip to pass on :-)

That sounds too much like hard work to me  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: when I can just click a button and get all the info. Call me lazy :classic_blush:. Here is all the info for Azura for the Summer through to the Caribbean season 

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 11.03.15 am.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Yes we have and they are a sight to behold!  This link shows the beauty of the gardens and the story of how they were developed from quite a barren landscape is fascinating.   There are tropical gardens, Italian, cactus, beach, rose, Japanese and so many different themed areas of planting.  Its amazing.

https://florogfjare.no/no/bildegalleri/

Here is a link to a previous thread where the gardens were discussed from post #30 on.

Were going to Norway again later this year and it's the one trip I'd been determined to book before we travel in case it was sold out.  We're booked and will be going again - not a cheap trip but so memorable and impressive! 

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2584758-tips-for-these-norwegian-ports-ship-excursions/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-56652665

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are doing a boat trip to Pulpit Rock you will be looking up at a large rock formation from the water.  I imagine that will be rather similar to vistas you will get at other times during your cruise and travels down the Fjords in which case the Gardens would offer something very different.  Just a thought.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.  Norway is truly beautiful.

Many thanks. I think between the comments that you and Presto2 made the gardens it will be. It's a bit costly (and a ship excursion!) but as we love gardens it would be a shame to miss them. Hopefully we'll get some good fjord views from our balcony so we won't miss too much if we skip the Pulpit Rock trip.

Just back from a week on the. Britannia.  We must have docked in Stravanger by 7.30 / 8am and we’re off the ship by 8.30 . We didn’t have anything booked, but really enjoyed Stravanger.  The weather help as it was a sunny 17c .  The only problem as the 40min queue to get back onboard  

Have to say, sorry we really did not rate Stavanger. Glad that Ali-W had good weather too but we had about 23 degrees and it really did not do anything for us at all. Not great scenery to be honest unless you travelled further. If we returned we would do something that involved going beyond the place.

Agree re the queue to get back on the ship !

8 hours ago, tartanexile81 said:

That sounds too much like hard work to me  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: when I can just click a button and get all the info. Call me lazy :classic_blush:. Here is all the info for Azura for the Summer through to the Caribbean season 

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 11.03.15 am.png

With you on that one ;-)

13 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

With you on that one ;-)

I would love to know how you get on with your Celebrity Edge cruise. We saw her in St Maarten this Winter and were intrigued. We're going on Celebrity this Summer but at the other end of the scale - Infinity!

Edited by tartanexile81

5 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

I would love to know how you get on with your Celebrity Edge cruise. We saw her in St Maarten this Winter and were intrigued. We're doing celebrity this Summer but at the other end of the scale - Infinity!

To be realty honest we were on Constellation last August and would not sail this class on Celebrity again. Hope Infinity is better for you. Looking forward to Edge. Know that she will not be perfect, but no ship is. Will keep you all informed when we get back.

Where is your cabin on Infinity? To us Connie was similar to the older P&O ships, but to us not as pretty as Oceana.

:-)

Edited by Presto2

13 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

To be realty honest we were on Constellation last August and would not sail this class on Celebrity again. Hope Infinity is better for you. Looking forward to Edge. Know that she will not be perfect, but no ship is. Will keep you all informed when we get back.

Where is your cabin on Infinity? To us Connie was similar to the older P&O ships, but to us not as pretty as Oceana.

:-)

We've been on Summit so know the layout. We struggled with getting a cabin at all as Celebrity were offering guarantees only 16 months before the cruise but our TA did a great job fighting them and got us a named balcony on Deck 7. It wasn't our first choice of ship but we really wanted to do the itinerary - Venice to Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Sicily, Majorca Ibiza, Valencia and Barcelona. It will be port intensive so if past experience is anything to go on, the US passengers  will be so busy doing tours and getting up early, the ship will be dead by 9:00 p.m. Nobody talks about anything else on our roll call. It's one of the things we have against Celebrity.  BTW Oceana  may be pretty but She and Black Watch are the only ships we've been on that we would NEVER go on again, so now I am VERY worried

Edited by tartanexile81

36 minutes ago, tartanexile81 said:

We've been on Summit so know the layout. We struggled with getting a cabin at all as Celebrity were offering guarantees only 16 months before the cruise but our TA did a great job fighting them and got us a named balcony on Deck 7. It wasn't our first choice of ship but we really wanted to do the itinerary - Venice to Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Sicily, Majorca Ibiza, Valencia and Barcelona. It will be port intensive so if past experience is anything to go on, the US passengers  will be so busy doing tours and getting up early, the ship will be dead by 9:00 p.m. Nobody talks about anything else on our roll call. It's one of the things we have against Celebrity.  BTW Oceana  may be pretty but She and Black Watch are the only ships we've been on that we would NEVER go on again, so now I am VERY worried

I suppose we are all different. Oceana was our first proper cruise and we fell in love. Ahhhhh.

Am sure you will have a great time. Are you going to Kotor at all? If so, worth the cruise cost for that alone :-)

Life would be boring if we were all the same :-)

39 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I suppose we are all different. Oceana was our first proper cruise and we fell in love. Ahhhhh.

Am sure you will have a great time. Are you going to Kotor at all? If so, worth the cruise cost for that alone :-)

Life would be boring if we were all the same :-)

Yes, 7 ports down that coast which is the main reason for the cruise.  A nightmare Transatlantic put us off Oceana for life

Edited by tartanexile81

14 hours ago, tartanexile81 said:

Yes, 7 ports down that coast which is the main reason for the cruise.  A nightmare Transatlantic put us off Oceana for life

Have you got a roll call? I could chat on there re the cruise as we've done the ports a few times with Celebrity if it would help.

Poor Oceana was not built for the transatlantic life apparently. Am sure someone said she was built for the Caribbean so would not do well in the Atlantic waters.

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Have you got a roll call? I could chat on there re the cruise as we've done the ports a few times with Celebrity if it would help.

Poor Oceana was not built for the transatlantic life apparently. Am sure someone said she was built for the Caribbean so would not do well in the Atlantic waters.

Yes there's a roll call for Infinity on 24th August.

The problem wasn't Oceana's sail-ability but the shocking condition she was in and the constant banging and hammering for days on end.  Our balcony doors had fist-sized holes in them as one example and the air-con didn't work in the Caribbean.