Joy upgrade offer

ute_fan

For those of you who have been on the ship, is there enough of a difference between a regular balcony room (BD category) and a concierge level balcony to be worth putting in a bid?  I'm struggling since there's not that many pictures available of the cabins yet.  Our minimum bid is $400 pp.  

• Like 1

This person did a review of the NCL Joy 9 different Cabins.

I think they sailed on the on the inaugural sailing last week from Vancouver.

Maybe they have info on the 2 you requested.

According to the web site, the regular balcony size is a few square foot larger. That alone would not be worth the $400.00 bid, in my opinion. I'd personally use the money to book an Aft-Balcony, as they are some of the largest on the ship and have a fantastic view. That said, Concierge class also comes with upgraded amenities, such as Concierge service and a private breakfast. 

50 minutes ago, GrabMyWrist said:

According to the web site, the regular balcony size is a few square foot larger. That alone would not be worth the $400.00 bid, in my opinion. I'd personally use the money to book an Aft-Balcony, as they are some of the largest on the ship and have a fantastic view. That said, Concierge class also comes with upgraded amenities, such as Concierge service and a private breakfast. 

We booked a balcony guarantee, but if I'd been able to afford to select a cabin it would have been an aft one.  We were in one on the Pearl 4 years ago, and it was marvelous!  Unfortunately they were (and still are) $1200 pp additional, and I wasn't willing to pay that.

• Like 1

If you can get it for a reasonable upgrade bid do it 

We plan on doing the same as you 

it’s worth it to us to be able to have breakfast n lunch in Cagneys and more space in the cabin 

40 minutes ago, LaCal said:

If you can get it for a reasonable upgrade bid do it 

We plan on doing the same as you 

it’s worth it to us to be able to have breakfast n lunch in Cagneys and more space in the cabin 

Breakfast and lunch on the Joy are in La Cucina for concierge passengers, but I'm sure it will work the same way.  It's the cabin space I'm wondering about.  Wish it was easier to tell the individual cabin sizes from the deck plans.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ute_fan said:

Breakfast and lunch on the Joy are in La Cucina for concierge passengers, but I'm sure it will work the same way.  It's the cabin space I'm wondering about.  Wish it was easier to tell the individual cabin sizes from the deck plans.

Check check out on the Cruise Critic NCL board under Everything Joy at around page 20ish or before The Dougout posted loads of cabin photos including the concierge plus lots of great info about the Joy when they were just on it for a week 

1 hour ago, LaCal said:

Check check out on the Cruise Critic NCL board under Everything Joy at around page 20ish or before The Dougout posted loads of cabin photos including the concierge plus lots of great info about the Joy when they were just on it for a week 

I've been reading it with great anticipation, along with searching all the You Tube videos I can find on the Joy. 

I am booked on the JOY 

May I ask when you are going?

just curious as I am waiting to see the cost of the upgrade.

I also booked a regular balcony with all 5 perks.

Edited by PrinceonRN

This is my first time bidding for upgrades, such a novel idea. 🙂 For those of you who have done this in the past when do you get your assignment if you win?  Is it really 48 hrs before sailing? My bids were pretty low so I'm guessing we won't "win" but that's the fun of gambling, right? 

3 hours ago, ute_fan said:

Has anyone posted the breakfast and lunch menus from La Cucina?

We were originally booked in a balcony room and upgraded to a Concierge balcony. Just looking at the pics alone - I would do it -- well maybe not for $800.  I would compare current room prices and what they want you add to your cost with a bid. Then decide. There were a couple bid offers we got that if we paid $800 more - we'd be paying current cost. Plus we have 3 cabins in arow. No guarantee we'd all get an upgrade and theyd still be close.    So we didn't bid.  The Concierge rooms look so much bigger than regular balconies.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:02 PM, pumpkinpatch4 said:

This is my first time bidding for upgrades, such a novel idea. 🙂 For those of you who have done this in the past when do you get your assignment if you win?  Is it really 48 hrs before sailing? My bids were pretty low so I'm guessing we won't "win" but that's the fun of gambling, right? 

Bids acceptance can definitely come as late as 48 hours prior to sailing. My one and only upgrade bid win game at 12:30 on  Thursday before our Saturday sailing.

More typically, it seems to come around 5-7 days out on most US sailings. They seem to come much earlier on European itineraries.