Luggage retrieval

dan-o 2

On our last cruise out of Tampa on the Inspiration we were put through a terrible situation. At customs we were put into a warehouse where our luggage was thrown into rows. Everyone was in a hurry to hit the road and to find your bags was a total nightmare. This time I'm going to Port Canaveral to cruise on the Glory. Do they have a better setup.

I've never gone through Port Canaveral, but that's the only way I've ever seen it done. Not quite sure what you would change to make it better...My suggestion is to get very distinctive luggage so it's easier to find yours, or to do the self-assist debark.

On our last cruise out of Tampa on the Inspiration we were put through a terrible situation. At customs we were put into a warehouse where our luggage was thrown into rows. Everyone was in a hurry to hit the road and to find your bags was a total nightmare. This time I'm going to Port Canaveral to cruise on the Glory. Do they have a better setup.

Haven't been there but what you describe seems very typical for all of the lines. Luggage is unloaded, and but in rows or groups for you to search through and claim.

Sadly, that is the way it works for all the cruise lines. The fault lies with customs I guess. :eek: If we have to blame somebody. My solution was to tie a brightly colored ribbon to each peice of our luggage. In our case I used along strip of rubber (if it gets caught it stretches rather than breaks) that my DH had used for therapy when he hurt his shoulder. ;) It is bright yellow and very easy to spot. :D No more problems!

Luv's Crusin'

I put duct tape all over my bag when we went on the Elation. Big silver 'X's everywhere lol. I saw it the second I turned the corner. This time I'm getting neon! :D

Big "X" -- must have been a Celebrity Cruise. :)

Our only expereince with luggage carry off was with RCCL out of Long Beach. We were among the first to leave the ship. Carried our bags to customs and were at the curb in about 20 minutes. If Carvial has carry off at Port Canaveral we will certainly use it for our Feb 25 cruise on Glory

My 1st (and only until 4/29) was out of Tampa. The OP made me laugh because I remember leaving the ship and walking into this warehouse where there are hundreds of suitcases (99% black, like mine). Being an experienced (;) ) cruiser and a cruise critic member I will of course have ribbons, and bows and duct tape (and flashing lights) on my luggage this year. But...I always worry about someone picking up my suitcase by mistake. Oh well, I doubt I can pack light enough for a 7 nite cruise to do self assist.

Don't get too freaked if you don't find one of your bags grouped with all the others with the same colored tags. Apparently they have people sorting bags that may be somewhat color-blind. My largest bag (tagged with the appropriate tag) was found after a 35 min search 3 groups down in a completely different group of color tags. Can't remember the colors but I remember all of the wonderful people who helped us look laughing about how the heck that bag ended up with that color group! I was so relieved to find it that I didn't care!

Big "X" -- must have been a Celebrity Cruise. :)

*gag* If I wanted to be treated famously, I'd slap the ship's photographer after my boarding picture was taken, yell at the matre'd(sp?) for getting my prefered seating time wrong, and throw up on the cruise director after one too many rum punches...

Oh wait...I did that already! :D

(of course I'm kidding-I just kneed the photographer in the nuts and went on my way)

We were just on the Mariner in Oct. out of Port Canaveral. Yes, there are conveyor belts like in airports. I found this system to be far better than the long lines in a warehouse. Much easier to spot our bags.

In order to make our bags easier to find, I put reflective tape on them (you can get commercial grade on eBay relatively cheap). I also made short straps from reflective webbing material to which I attached snaps to they fit snugly around the handles of the suitcases. I had no trouble at all recognizing our bags.

We were just on the Mariner in Oct. out of Port Canaveral. Yes, there are conveyor belts like in airports. I found this system to be far better than the long lines in a warehouse. Much easier to spot our bags.

In order to make our bags easier to find, I put reflective tape on them (you can get commercial grade on eBay relatively cheap). I also made short straps from reflective webbing material to which I attached snaps to they fit snugly around the handles of the suitcases. I had no trouble at all recognizing our bags.

Don't get too freaked if you don't find one of your bags grouped with all the others with the same colored tags. Apparently they have people sorting bags that may be somewhat color-blind. My largest bag (tagged with the appropriate tag) was found after a 35 min search 3 groups down in a completely different group of color tags. Can't remember the colors but I remember all of the wonderful people who helped us look laughing about how the heck that bag ended up with that color group! I was so relieved to find it that I didn't care!

This happened to me as we disembarked off the Destiny a few weeks ago! I have bright red duct tape on top and on the bottom of the bags, also a rainbow strap around the suitcase. We also had a dark blue duffel bag that at the last minute at home, I put on either side of the zipper, 2 pieces of red tape with our name and address in sharpie....Also, b4 I left the luggage out at night, I had put TWO colored tags on each of the bags in different places in case one of them got ripped off. This is our 20th or so cruise and hadn't done this b4 w/2 tags. So we disembark, and there is my husbands' luggage--can't miss it--first one in the row--for our luggage color. Mine and the duffel is NOWHERE to be found. I'm up and down the rows, in and around the area, and we have a 12:30 pm flight. It's after 8:00am--like 8:45 already. So I'm looking, and looking, and for the first time, was surprised that 2 Carnival reps came and helped look for the baggage and THEY couldn't find it!!! It's after 9:00 already, one tells me to go to the beginning of the warehouse and look thru all the luggage....Well, finally my suitcase was found, and eventually the duffel bag was found (9:25) Where???? IN THE PILE WITH NO TAGS!!! And I had put 2 on each!!!

Archived