Celebrity "Not"- unless you're on the F list

micheles

January 23, 2006

Dear Cruisecritic.com:

Below is our review of a cruise booked through Travelocity.

Travelocity, shouldn't ever do it again. Recommendation of Celebrity Cruises will damage your reputation. In the land of stars they get a big fat 0. My husband and I left San Pedro on December 18th, 2005, and returned on January 2nd, 2006. We choose this particular cruise because, like idiot’s we thought it would be so easy. We live up in the hills of San Pedro and can see the ships from our home. What a great idea to cruise to Hawaii for the holidays.

As soon as we got to the terminal it started, here are the offenses from worst to least.

1/02/05 = Getting off the ship and to our home took 5 hours. You don’t even want to know. The culprit was supposed to be a broken gang plank. Well, they had 2 gang planks. It took them hours to figure out that the broken plank couldn’t be fixed so in the end, Celebrity staff finally let everyone go out of the ship on the lower gang plank. They were so disorganized and it took forever to make a simple decision.

Then you had to get your luggage, which was fine, but try getting a Porter to help you. You’re looking at another line for an hour.

Then there was the Taxi line which took over an hour. When I say 5 hours to get home I am not lying. I could see my house from the ship, but I am darn if I could get to it.

12/18/05 = By the way, boarding the ship took over an hour and a half

Anytime!!!!!! you had to take a Tender. God help up if you got up early and tried to start your day. It didn’t matter because part of your day was stolen. The brain scientists at Celebrity decided that everyone would have to go to get a Tender Ticket, and then wait until your tender # was called. So after 1.5 hours you finally got on Maui or Hilo.

Coming back was even worse. It took almost 2 hours to get back on the ship. Are you getting this? Three-point- five hours of just standing in lines, in the hot sun, with nasty or no bathrooms for 2 of those hours. I am talking about the first Tender stop only. Hilo was worse.

Beverages, especially alcohol, well my husband gets me a soda, coke in a can.

It costs over 3 dollars. If you’re not a big drinker there is always juice. “Yeah Right”. The dinner juices are so watered down that you can see your hand through the glass they serve it in. Ice tea and water are you only options.

12/20/05 approximately, I ordered a chocolate martini room service, cost eleven dollars. Which was served to me in a fancy martini glass filled to the brim, during the rockiest voyage I had ever been on? We were experiencing 30 ft. waves. It took my Steward 25 minutes to get that drink to me due to the conditions. As soon as he took it from the tray and handed to my husband the ship took a wave and the half the drink spilled. Tell me why didn’t the Bartender have the sense to send the drink in the Martini shaker with the glass on the side? My poor Steward went back to get me another drink with specific instructions from me to either leave the drink in the shaker, or to put the drink in another type of glass. The Steward returns with another drink in a different type of glass, and another charge slip. Yes, to add insult to injury I was charged 11.00 for a 2nd drink. I could have sent the drink back but then our steward would be put out. I didn’t have the heart, it was not his fault.

Every drink, even a glass of wine is 11.00 dollars a pop. Celebrity unlike like the other lines we have been on, and we have been on about ten. Celebrity’s policy for alcoholic beverages is outrageous. On every other cruise line that we have been on a guest can buy alcohol and take it to their state room. There is a charge for each bottle you purchase and the last ship the charge was 9:00 a bottle. Celebrity no, they really want you to drink and specifically alcohol@ 11:00 a drink. Usually a drink cost 6/7 dollars on a ship. I felt like I was in Las Vegas. “Get our money” “ Get our money”

The tipping policy, they want you to tip people I never heard of before. The chief housekeeper, and maybe an extra food service person, and it was not the Pantry Assistant who should have been included. There were two extra people named. Like I said “Get the money”

Last but not least, The Grand Ditz, Oh Captain. The man didn’t have the patience, respect, or even courteously to position the ship around so that we could see the Volcano erupting at night. You would think that would occur to him. DAH!!!!! This is like something you don’t see everyday, and most people will never see again. The Captain from the other ship did, and so did the Captain of the other ship the last time we sailed to Hawaii.

One more thing, try getting help the last night after you’ve paid your bill, impossible.

Royal Caribbean is usually together and well organized. Something has gone wrong with the purchase of the Celebrity line. I fear that the parents have over extended themselves.

We will never take Celebrity again.

Sincerely,

Michele & David L.Sponder

Sorry about your experience with Celebrity.

The same arguments you make would hold true if it were any other line in the exact same situation you and your cruiseship were in...ie, rough waves, a tough embarkation due to three ships in the Port of LA, by the way, which during the rain and broken ramp didn't help out the Summit's situation any. I believe the Summit had the worst time during debarkation and embarkation due to the 3rd slot it filled at the port, which does not have any covering or facility at all to handle 2000+ passengers. You should blame the Port of San Pedro and weather for your issues in this case. Also, porters are the responsibility of the Port of LA, not the cruiseline. Tendering to the ship from shore in Hawaii has it's problems. It doesn't matter which cruiseline you're on. Kona and Lahaina will have tender lines, no matter what. There are only so many tender boats the cruiseline can use. I think it's a matter of safety, not speed.

I've sailed Celebrity, RCCL, Holland, and Carnival. None of these lines would have handled your situations much differently. They all charge for drinks, and no you can't purchase a bottle of alcohol for consumption in your room..It's against most cruiseline's policies now. Seems to me the last cruise you took on RCCL might have been 10 years ago. Things have changed over time..

Celebrity is a great line. We're going on the Summit on April 9 to Hawaii as well, and it cannot get here fast enough..

SDCruiser

Micheles.... I am very sorry that you did not have a good experience on Celebrity.

I will only comment on the Captain.

His #1 priority...is SAFETY....for the passengers.

You can't know all the details that he was responsible for.....regarding the tenders, positioning for the volcano, the broken ramp for exiting the ship.

We only can trust, that it was handled in the safest manner.

Again, I am sorry that you did not take home fond memories.

I've read the entire rant and still can't figure out what the "F list" is.

Unfortunately, SDCruiser is right. The situations you encountered would have been handled the same way on any cruise line. They really are not responsible for the weather or the ports.

But you probably don't want to hear that do you? This is a good place to vent your dissatisfaction. I hope it made you feel a little better to do so.

Susan

Hi Dan, Hi Phil:) good to see you both!

No biting....how about one of those nibbles......

Sorry the OP had such a horrible experience. I am going in 2 weeks

and mine will be wonderful. They always have been and I am sure

this one will be as well.:D...number 7!

The F list...would be the opposite of the "A" list...I think.

Oh Phil, Happy Birthday:) you 39 again????

The "A" List, would be those Mega Stars...that you know by

first name only...example, "Brad"...."Angelina"....you don't need their

last names to know who they are.

I am thinking the F list are those folks who are not even recognizable

with a last name.

But then again......I have always felt special on all of my Celebrity

Cruises! And I am just a "regular person";)

Notice this was the OP's first post. Perhaps if she had done her research and responded to some posts before she cruised, she would have realized that unfortunately there's those dreaded lines :mad: Sure sucks when you have to compete with 2,999 other people to get down the gang way or tendering.

Wouldn't it be cool to be the first in line every time????

So far Celebrity has been my best cruise yet.

Funny, A co-worker of mine was on the same sailing and she couldn't stop talking about all of the great things about her cruise.

I was espeically interested since I'm doing the same itinerary in March.

Guess it all depends on whether you're a "glass is half empty" or "glass is half full" type of person.

Chris

I'd be interested to know if the captain had announced that they'd be passing the volcano. If so, all one has to do is go on deck 4 and walk to the other side of the ship if you can't see anything from where you are. Same is true of the aft buffet area or deck 11.

I WAS on the same cruise as the original poster. Although I agree, the debarkation was a complete disaster. But, most of that was NOT Celebrity's fault IMO. I thought the cruise was wonderful. Swells were huge, but that sure isn't Celebrity's fault either.

As far as tendering, every cruise line I have been on has tender tickets to board the tenders. Although we had priority tendering, we usually did not get off until they quit calling numbers. As far as getting back on the ship via tender, the hold up was because of Hawaii security checking EVERY bag of people getting ON the ship.

I do agree with the OP that the captain could have taken in a night view of the volcano, and stayed closer to the coast for whale viewing. That was a disappointment to a lot of folks, me included.

I will be on Celebrity in March. So, I guess they haven't run all of us off.:D

Beverages, especially alcohol, well my husband gets me a soda, coke in a can.

It costs over 3 dollars.

Actually the price for a can of soda is $1.95 + 15% gratuity = $2..25 on the bar menu from 12/05. Maybe he got room service to bring it.

12/20/05

Every drink, even a glass of wine is 11.00 dollars a pop.

Daily and weekly specials are $4.95 + 15 % gratuity = $5.70

Many all time favorites are $5.95 + 15% gratuity = $6.85

Wines are from $5.95 for a few, $6.95 for a few and up to $10.00 + 15% gratuity on the bar menu (from Dec 2005).

Sincerely,

Michele & David L.Sponder

Just to clear up any misunderstanding about drink prices. We got off the ship just as you were getting on. Have a nice next cruise no matter what line it is on.

Hi Michele,

I am sorry that you have had such a bad cruise experience, my first advice for you is to book in the future the Silver Whisper or Silver Cloud or something in that style. Small ships and five star room service. My second advice is to get you the great book written by D. Ward, the Berlitz Cruise Guide. It will help to avoid such bad expriences as it says what you have to be aware of. ( Standing in line vor embarkation and disembarkation, tendering and so on ..) For X is the best Cruise line I have sailed with ( including cunard after her carnivalisation, to speak in the words of D. Ward) . As I am Ship buff- I love those big elegant, understated elegant, Millenium - Class ships, just the right size. Not to small not to big.

And if I have to wait for embarkation and disembarkation or even until the Tenderticket is called- I love it to meet fellow passenger and chat with them.

Greetings

Michael

Archived