HAL AIR

cl61447

5 minutes ago, cl61447 said:

Is the any advantage such as fare when booking with Hal

Depending upon the air itinerary and the airline, date of travel, and the Class of service, most certainly yes.  I have saved major $$ booking open jaw air tickets for HAL cruises, particularly internationally flights.  Even domestic flights provide some savings.  Usually, though, booking air on my own for such flights provide a better deal.

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

New to this, but I can say that booking with HAL Air postpones the payment until final payment and perhaps extends the cancellation deadline.  I have a booking with another line which has turned out to be a major problem with potential total change of itinerary.  Booked our own air and would lose the whole amount of $$$ should we cancel.

I was able to get Business Class air to and from Amsterdam for half what the airline wanted.  It pays to at least check it out.  And, the days of taking the schedule they hand you are over.  I was able to let Flight Ease know what my parameters were and they followed it.  Generally, my PCC sends me some samples and gets my input.  I have also told her about schedules I have found and she's been able to book them.  

Totally agree that comparing is worth the time. While HAL's air was the same as we could find on line, by booking through them we received a voucher for transportation between the airport & ship at each end of the trip, worth $100. Also saved on hotel night on both ends of the trip, worth $325, which in turn means 2 less nights of kennel expense for our fur babies.

12 hours ago, dfish said:

I was able to get Business Class air to and from Amsterdam for half what the airline wanted.  It pays to at least check it out.  And, the days of taking the schedule they hand you are over.  I was able to let Flight Ease know what my parameters were and they followed it.  Generally, my PCC sends me some samples and gets my input.  I have also told her about schedules I have found and she's been able to book them.  

I agree that Flight Ease is worth checking out.  However, it was not satisfactory for me.  The price was not much less than what AA was charging for MIA - SA flights.  The good thing is that I would not have had to pay until final payment.  The bad thing is that when I attempted to change the returning flight, the entire itinerary  had to be scrapped and started over.  By that time, the departing flight was no longer available.  Further, since I was working with a TA, Flight Ease would not talk to me, and this particular TA was not that helpful.  Still, others report large discounts, so it does pay to investigate.  Just be aware that these discounts are not a given.

As for the fees for changing flights made directly with the airline, it does pay to take  out the minimal insurance charge offered by the airlines.  It cost  us $56, and I feel that it was worth the money.

A couple of nice things about using Flight Ease is you don't pay for your ticket until you pay for your cruise, and you can cancel it up to the date of final payment.  That way, if you find a lower fare than what you could get through HAL, you're free to book it and cancel the Flight Ease ticket.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Here's another issue:  We booked November cruise, then Flight Ease 45 days later for $415 RT.  Within the last few days, found cruise price was about $600 less, so asked TA to check.  HAL told her that if we booked reduced cruise price then we would lose $200 pp on Flight Ease.  I am not happy with TA or HAL right now and not quite sure what to do about it....

16 hours ago, HokiePoq said:

New to this, but I can say that booking with HAL Air postpones the payment until final payment and perhaps extends the cancellation deadline.

2 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

The good thing is that I would not have had to pay until final payment.

I just checked the Flight Ease page (available from HAL's home page), and when you pay and whether you can get a refund depends on which HAL fare you've booked. Some itineraries have only one type of fare, so don't know which of these fare options will apply to those. (N.B. Italics are mine.)

FLIGHT EASE OFFERS TWO BOOKING OPTIONS:

FLEXIBLE FARES
For those who want greater flexibility, payment for air travel will be due with your cruise final payment. Flexible fares can be changed or cancelled without fees at any time prior to your cruise final payment due date. After the cruise final payment due date, fees up to the full cost of the ticket apply.

RESTRICTED FARES
For those sure of their plans; non-refundable, but generally lower rates.
Pay at time of air booking:  Full payment for air reservation is due at time of air booking.

Change/Cancellation fees apply:  Changes to air reservations will result in cancellation of air booking and cancellation fees up to the full cost of the ticket.  Air prices are nonrefundable (no money back).

Edited by kwb101

5 minutes ago, kwb101 said:

I just checked the Flight Ease page (available from HAL's home page), and when you pay and whether you can get a refund depends on which HAL fare you've booked. Some itineraries have only one type of fare, so don't know which of these fare options will apply to those. (N.B. Italics are mine.)

FLIGHT EASE OFFERS TWO BOOKING OPTIONS:

FLEXIBLE FARES
For those who want greater flexibility, payment for air travel will be due with your cruise final payment. Flexible fares can be changed or cancelled without fees at any time prior to your cruise final payment due date. After the cruise final payment due date, fees up to the full cost of the ticket apply.

RESTRICTED FARES
For those sure of their plans; non-refundable, but generally lower rates.
Pay at time of air booking:  Full payment for air reservation is due at time of air booking.

Change/Cancellation fees apply:  Changes to air reservations will result in cancellation of air booking and cancellation fees up to the full cost of the ticket.  Air prices are nonrefundable (no money back).

I booked the refundable one.   As I upgraded it's a good thing I'm not paying until final payment or I'd be in DH's doghouse for a lot of extra months for spending the extra $$$, lol.

• Haha 1

As others have mentioned when booking airfare for a TA or other open jawed flight, HAL airfare was considerable less than what I could find.  Also international flights seem to be a better deal with HAL.  As far as domestic flights I usually book on my own as there isn't that much of a price difference and I can get the flights I want.  It may depend on what your departure airport is as to what the savings will be.  I live in MN so everything flies out of MSP and has to connect somewhere else for international flights.  If you live on one of the coasts you may be able to find direct flights that aren't available to us, so you may get a better deal.

17 hours ago, dfish said:

We also got Business class air for half of what the airline wanted. And it was nice that we didn't have to pay until after final payment. 

I just checked on First Class airfare domestically for my cruise (one way) and it was about 10% more than what the airline was quoting, but with the flexible fare option I could cancel (up to final payment), while if I booked direct I cannot.  A plus and a minus I guess.

We are going to book a segment on a world cruise, but there's only one fare category, no mention whether it's a flex fare or restricted. Will have to inquire, so we don't get locked in to early on our air. Anyone know about this? 

We saved a huge amount booking RT business class to/from Amsterdam.  Also saved a lot on a one way domestic after a cruise.  The not having to pay until  final payment plus the awesome air fares made it a win/win for us.  The airline selection may be a tad limited but when going business class that is less of a concern to us.

The savings on Flight Ease (HAL Air) is the best if you need a one way international or an Open Jaw international ticket.  We need to fly from Tampa to Amsterdam, one way, and the cruise ends in Ft. Lauderdale, where we will rent a car and drive home for $100, (rent it here, leave it there).   On anybody's air fare website, one way business class to AMS was $3800 to $5000.  On Flight Ease, we paid $1050 business.

On domestic flights, the savings are not as dramatic.  Also Flight Ease does not include low-cost carriers such as Southwest, Spirit, etc.   

One of the huge benefits, even if the fare is the same or less by booking yourself, is the ability of not having to pay for your air ticket until 75 days out from the cruise, along with your final payment.  If you do book your flights on your own, months in advance, and have to cancel the cruise, you can cancel with no loss of money if you have a refundable cruise fare, but you will have to eat the air fare you booked on your own.   

22 hours ago, CM1984 said:

Here's another issue:  We booked November cruise, then Flight Ease 45 days later for $415 RT.  Within the last few days, found cruise price was about $600 less, so asked TA to check.  HAL told her that if we booked reduced cruise price then we would lose $200 pp on Flight Ease.  I am not happy with TA or HAL right now and not quite sure what to do about it....

I had something told to me like that a few weeks ago - we had a $50 per person air credit and would have lost it if I reshuffled the cruise. Anyway, they gave me shipboard credit instead - she said they can give 1/2 of cost difference. I think the cruise went down $600 and they gave us $300 of room credit. However, our cruise was booked within 60 days of sailing, so air fares had doubled in two weeks time, so we saved a lot by booking when we did.

I booked flight ease for the first time - IND to SEA and about 60 days before the cruise. I think that is pretty last minute. With our $50 per person discount, our main cabin flight was $210 per person round trip on Delta - direct flight. Immediately, I could pull up the flight on my Delta app and in my account. A few days ago I upgraded a few of us to first class ($139 per person each way) using the Delta website.

I basically used the flight ease to initially book but after that I have done changes via Delta.

38 minutes ago, kentuckycruiser said:

I booked flight ease for the first time - IND to SEA and about 60 days before the cruise. I think that is pretty last minute. With our $50 per person discount, our main cabin flight was $210 per person round trip on Delta - direct flight. Immediately, I could pull up the flight on my Delta app and in my account. A few days ago I upgraded a few of us to first class ($139 per person each way) using the Delta website.

I basically used the flight ease to initially book but after that I have done changes via Delta.

Wow, that is new.  Last summer Delta wouldn't allow me to upgrade our tickets.  They said HAL was the travel agent of record and all changes had to come through them.  

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Wow, that is new.  Last summer Delta wouldn't allow me to upgrade our tickets.  They said HAL was the travel agent of record and all changes had to come through them.  

When you booked did you add your Delta skymiles number into the initial reservation? This is no different than booking flights on the Chase UR site or Amex travel, the flight goes on your own AA or Delta account. Now hotels are different and those don't get you points like flights do. And all the upgrades show up on the app or one's Delta account. Flight Ease only books main cabin - not basic economy - so upgrades costs should pop up on your phone.

Edited by kentuckycruiser

21 hours ago, qoap24 said:

We also got Business class air for half of what the airline wanted. And it was nice that we didn't have to pay until after final payment. 

Can  you quote  the route the dates and what you paid?

1 hour ago, dfish said:

This is true any time you book through a 3 ed party  HAL, Priceline   etc.      Also there is some mis use of  the term Direct flight .   Many think Direct flight means " non stop"   It does not  Direct means one flight number which may change planes,  and make several stops.     Do not Assume you direct flight is a non stop.  By the way  Delta charges more than many other airlines for the same route....  check out IATA Matrix. com  to compare all flights all airlines from any airport on any day. in any class.   Know what your playing with and who.  using Matrix  you will know.   95% of  the time  book my own and save far more.     You can tooD0rfVrcX4AIBto9.jpg.9d6370f44f953d21a1b88379a090516b.jpg

43 minutes ago, kentuckycruiser said:

When you booked did you add your Delta skymiles number into the initial reservation? This is no different than booking flights on the Chase UR site or Amex travel, the flight goes on your own AA or Delta account. Now hotels are different and those don't get you points like flights do. And all the upgrades show up on the app or one's Delta account. Flight Ease only books main cabin - not basic economy - so upgrades costs should pop up on your phone.

Yes, my sky miles number was in the system for the flights.  I had been able to upgrade seats on American and United the year before, so this surprised me.  This year I just went ahead and booked Business Class from the start.  Considering that it was not too much more than economy, I was pleased.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

This is true any time you book through a 3 ed party  HAL, Priceline   etc.      Also there is some mis use of  the term Direct flight .   Many think Direct flight means " non stop"   It does not  Direct means one flight number which may change planes,  and make several stops.     Do not Assume you direct flight is a non stop.  By the way  Delta charges more than many other airlines for the same route....  check out IATA Matrix. com  to compare all flights all airlines from any airport on any day. in any class.   Know what your playing with and who.  using Matrix  you will know.   95% of  the time  book my own and save far more.     You can tooD0rfVrcX4AIBto9.jpg.9d6370f44f953d21a1b88379a090516b.jpg

I always use kayak.com and google flights as a comparison. I had never heard of the website you referenced. I typed it in and it doesn't come up. I think you meant www.matrixflights.com 

3 minutes ago, kentuckycruiser said:

I always use kayak.com and google flights as a comparison. I had never heard of the website you referenced. I typed it in and it doesn't come up. I think you meant www.matrixflights.com 

3 minutes ago, kentuckycruiser said:

yes....