Silversea Antarctica Cruise Do you need a breathable rain jacket and walking stick?

luvtocruise88

I am going on the Silversea Cloud to Antarctica 2019.  On the packing list it states under essential clothing items to bring a "Rain jacket- waterproof and breathable"  to me that sound like regular light rain jacket.  I have heard you live in the orange parka they provide.  Do you really need a rain coat and for what?  Also if anyone found the walking sticks worth bringing?

Thanks for your help!

A light raincoat may be useful around Ushuaia, if it's not cold enough for the parka (or before you board, and get your parka). Ours take up very little space so they are easy to bring. Nowadays (I hear) the parkas are two-piece so the outer shell is lighter. So you probably won't need a separate raincoat once you have the parka. I am looking forward to finding this out firsthand, when we go back in January 2020.

If you like to use walking sticks and have the ones which collapse so they fit in your suitcase, bring them. We did and they were handy to have. Some hills to climb, where they were useful. If you never use them and/or don't like using them, don't bother buying them special for this cruise.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:13 AM, luvtocruise88 said:

I am going on the Silversea Cloud to Antarctica 2019.  On the packing list it states under essential clothing items to bring a "Rain jacket- waterproof and breathable"  to me that sound like regular light rain jacket.  I have heard you live in the orange parka they provide.  Do you really need a rain coat and for what?  Also if anyone found the walking sticks worth bringing?

Thanks for your help!

We took a lightweight nylon rain jacket and used it in Ushuaia. You don't get the parka that Silversea provides until you get on the ship, and yes you will live in it. It was raining on the day we boarded the ship so the rain jacket came in handy. This kind of jacket can fold up and fit in your carryon. I now take it on all my travels. We also purchased an inexpensive pair of trekking poles on Amazon. They collapse to a small size and fit in your suitcase. I also will use them on other trips. They definitely came in handy.    

Edited by Carol From California
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are on Dec 10 antarctic cruise and plan to bring our light rain jackets.  My husband's is a Columbia that is waterproof and folds into a small pillow that is very handy to have while travelling.  Mine goes in my carryon.  I expect will be handy throughout our travels.