Visiting Hiroshima from Kobe

Boatharbour

Our ship arrives at Kobe at 11.00 am and departs at 6.00 pm the following day. Would this allow us enough time to visit Hiroshima and possibly Miyajima? We would consider staying overnight and returning to the ship on the second day.

Sure, you can do it by Shinkansen.

However, although Hiroshima is an impressive and moving place to see, reaching Kyoto from Kobe is much more convenient. And Kyoto offers many fabulous places to visit.

You can also find some ideas in our travelogue: http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

We just returned last week from another cruise around Japan. I wrote about it here: 

Edited by Miaminice

Thank you so much for sharing your beautifully written blog. We will be sailing on Celebrity Millenium, so it was wonderful to read about your experiences.

Our itinerary is slightly different as the ship will not be visiting Hiroshima or Nagasaki. We will be visiting two ports in Taiwan and then complete the cruise in Hong Kong after visiting Shanghai. So there is much in your blog to read up on!

From your blog, it seems there is so much to see in Kobe and Kyoto than I realised. We are now having second thoughts about Hiroshima given the travel time involved. 

I hope you mind if I come back with more questions once our planning is under way. Thank you again for sharing.

From Shin Kobe to Hiroshima is a bit over 1 hour & cost one way around Yen 10,000.

Info in terminal on how to get to Shin Kobe involves 1 change of train.

First train station is on cruise terminal & very convenient for town.

13 hours ago, Boatharbour said:

Thank you so much for sharing your beautifully written blog. We will be sailing on Celebrity Millenium, so it was wonderful to read about your experiences.

Our itinerary is slightly different as the ship will not be visiting Hiroshima or Nagasaki. We will be visiting two ports in Taiwan and then complete the cruise in Hong Kong after visiting Shanghai. So there is much in your blog to read up on!

From your blog, it seems there is so much to see in Kobe and Kyoto than I realised. We are now having second thoughts about Hiroshima given the travel time involved. 

I hope you mind if I come back with more questions once our planning is under way. Thank you again for sharing.

Sure, no problem!

Hiroshima and Nagasaki are without a doubt interesting places. Touching, moving and explicit examples and reminders of what mankind can do. So I am not excluding them.

However, especially Kyoto offers soo many different and fabulous temples, gardens, palaces etc. that you could spend a week there. Kyoto was one of the highlights of both our Japan trips. IMHO you would really miss something if you didn´t go to Kyoto.

• Like 1