Sorry another question about tips

5 minutes ago, Sylvia999 said:

Well of course everyone has there own opinion and it is a very emotive subject.however I also liked the old way of the envelopes and will continue to tip in this way,

Agreed.  If we weren't supposed to do it that way, they wouldn't give us that option.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

You said "their policy is all tips must be turned in".  Did she not do this?

No she did not turn all of the tips in and I believe 2 others were fired as well. Tips were supposed to be turned in but the kids never received any portion of it as they were to be used for the staff parties.  It was a situation where someone else got caught and decided to snitch on others.  General manager always spoke highly of her and they were training her to be an assistant manager but policy is supposed to apply to all so his hands were tied. She started working there shortly after turning 16.

Edited by Mr. Candyman

(I am not speaking of the OP because it seems like she is going to tip the old way)

I cannot figure out why people who go on cruises try to stiff the people who work hard to make their vacation great. Cruises are reasonably priced but they aren't cheap. We all can afford to pay for them one way or another. Why is $15 a day such a killer for some people? I don't get it.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

(I am not speaking of the OP because it seems like she is going to tip the old way)

I cannot figure out why people who go on cruises try to stiff the people who work hard to make their vacation great. Cruises are reasonably priced but they aren't cheap. We all can afford to pay for them one way or another. Why is $15 a day such a killer for some people? I don't get it.  

I don't believe anybody said they aren't paying the $15 a day.  They just said they are paying it in a different way.  Or did you see otherwise?

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

I'll be the first one to admit, when I first sailed and saw gratuities being taken out I was like W T F!  I had never been a cruise and had zero knowledge of anything.  But then after thinking about and remembering jobs I've held where tips were a huge supplement to my base salary, I chalked it up to part of the deal.  Some people have good intentions and will disperse those refunded funds how they see fit among the crew; and others that will have those funds taken off and keep the money.....no one would ever know!  

Edited by Mr. Candyman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Yep.  Why?

because I said I wasn't talking about OP. This is such a hot button item on CC because there are so many people who feel tips are optional. 

12 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

because I said I wasn't talking about OP. This is such a hot button item on CC because there are so many people who feel tips are optional. 

I never said you were talking about the OP.  

Edited by time4u2go

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

I never said you were talking about the OP.  You said "Why is $15 a day such a killer for some people? I don't get it."  I replied by saying that people aren't not paying it.  They just prefer to pay it in a different way.  I never mentioned the OP.

so you're telling me all these people on cc are tipping in a different way rather than stiffing staff? I would think that some are but no way that all of them are tipping in other ways.

6 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

so you're telling me all these people on cc are tipping in a different way rather than stiffing staff? I would think that some are but no way that all of them are tipping in other ways.

I don't doubt that some aren't tipping at all.  But then there's others that tip more than the recommended amount.  The cruise line provides multiple options, so it obviously all works out in the end.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I don't doubt that some aren't tipping at all.  But then there's others that tip more than the recommended amount.  The cruise line provides multiple options, so it obviously all works out in the end.

you and several other cc members go from thread to thread rationalizing this. It is sad. If someone has enough money to cruise they have enough money to tip. Saying it all works out in the end is a cop out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

you and several other cc members go from thread to thread rationalizing this. It is sad. If someone has enough money to cruise they have enough money to tip. Saying it all works out in the end is a cop out. 

I'm not rationalizing anything.  If the system wasn't working, they'd change it. 

The sad thing is when people try to tell other people how or if they should tip.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Before the days of prepaid tips you had a guideline of who to tip and how much.i believe it was room steward,waiter.assistant waiter and maitre d.no mention of any other staff.As they all got different amounts I can only assume they were not pooled.i As stated in my post we will leave one lot of tips on and use envelopes for the rest as I like the personal touch.i agree if you can afford to cruise you can afford to tip.i think if the system was not working then rc would do the same as a lot of the other cruislines and include it in the fare,which would certainly stop any more threads like this one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sylvia999 said:

Before the days of prepaid tips you had a guideline of who to tip and how much.i believe it was room steward,waiter.assistant waiter and maitre d.no mention of any other staff.As they all got different amounts I can only assume they were not pooled.i As stated in my post we will leave one lot of tips on and use envelopes for the rest as I like the personal touch.i agree if you can afford to cruise you can afford to tip.i think if the system was not working then rc would do the same as a lot of the other cruislines and include it in the fare,which would certainly stop any more threads like this one

I believe you but for the majority of OP's who ask the identical question, the question is merely a façade. They just don't want to ask the real question. "I am cheap and want to hold on to every nickel I can so how do I remove all gratuities?"

• Like 2

On 5/7/2019 at 6:47 PM, Sylvia999 said:

I would like to cancel tips for one of us in cabin and pay the other half to staff that have given me good service.we are booked on mtd so not sure if you can cancel tips when you do anytime dining.would be grateful if someone could answer this.

thank you sylvia

Ok, as this thread degrades to the same old discussion, I'll ask.  Why do you want to cancel tips for one person in the cabin?  It's a bit unusual and might help guide this discussion if the reason was known.  

Actually another way to do this is decrease your spending by $14 per day. For example if you like martinis then drink one less per day. Then take that money and tip extra to the people you think deserve it. You really wouldn't miss one little drink would you? Also on port days buy one less souvenir or trinket and take that money and use it for tipping. I can think of many ways this would work and let's face it, you wouldn't miss the money. How many times have you bought a piece of junk on a cruise ship just because you got caught up in the moment? We all have! This way all the hard working employees get their fair share and those who paid a little more attention to you will get a little extra. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

FYI you may want to google the 2019 pay for those that work on a cruise ship. Not as small as you think. Waiters get between $36,000 - $48,000 take home not including you tips.

Agree they are not as poor as they like us to think. Having said that I leave auto tips on but it is your choice to make!

• Like 2

I am travelling with a friend and she wants to leave tips on.i however like to give them in person. That is my choice.I always wonder if they no I have paid auto tips if I don’t give them anything in person.Yes I do give extra if I have received good service and I certainly don’t have to curtail my spending to do this

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, brentconn said:

Actually another way to do this is decrease your spending by $14 per day. For example if you like martinis then drink one less per day. Then take that money and tip extra to the people you think deserve it. You really wouldn't miss one little drink would you? Also on port days buy one less souvenir or trinket and take that money and use it for tipping. I can think of many ways this would work and let's face it, you wouldn't miss the money. How many times have you bought a piece of junk on a cruise ship just because you got caught up in the moment? We all have! This way all the hard working employees get their fair share and those who paid a little more attention to you will get a little extra. :classic_biggrin:

P&O now include gratuities because so many were stopping paying them.

The reports on P&O UK tipping boards was that people were getting letters from GS left in the docket outside their cabins asking them to reconsider reinstating their auto-gratituities that they stopped.

We always pre-pay our gratuities on Royal and forget about it and give cash to people who give us excellent service but as someone posted 

$435 for a 15 night cruise is a reason people think ;:How Much:

and most will probably tip in cash but possibly a lot less than would have been taken in autogratuities and some like on P&O UK didn't tip at all.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

P&O now include gratuities because so many were stopping paying them.

The reports on P&O UK tipping boards was that people were getting letters from GS left in the docket outside their cabins asking them to reconsider reinstating their auto-gratituities that they stopped.

We always pre-pay our gratuities on Royal and forget about it and give cash to people who give us excellent service but as someone posted 

$435 for a 15 night cruise is a reason people think ;:How Much:

and most will probably tip in cash but possibly a lot less than would have been taken in autogratuities and some like on P&O UK didn't tip at all.

I suppose tipping isn’t really a ‘thing’ in the UK - it’s more an American thing - given the majority of P&O cruisers are probably from the UK, that could be the reason.

6 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

I suppose tipping isn’t really a ‘thing’ in the UK - it’s more an American thing - given the majority of P&O cruisers are probably from the UK, that could be the reason.

I tip like an American after 30 visits to US and 49 cruises but yes on P&O and on UK tipping sites in general the majority of posters are anti tipping and why a lot of cruiselines include gratuities for UK sailings.

• Like 1

Just because something is optional, does not mean it is not expected or the custom.   

I don't understand the "it's not our culture to tip".  This is just an excuse.  So if you are traveling to a country that removes shoes before entering a home, do you just say "not my culture"?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Just found this.

On Celebrity, the mandatory tip was $14.50 per person per day, so the total tip bill based on double occupancy came out to be $435 for a 15 day cruise, so her cut was about $109.00  or $2,600 per year. If they worked on the ship for a year. That is for one room. Assigned the usual 16 rooms to clean, so that works out to $41,600 per year in tips. If the base is $500.00 a month that now comes out to $47,600.00 a for 12 months. They say it is a 12 hour 7 day job. less than $11.00 an hour. 

Confused about the 12 hours a day. What do they do when they are not there? I can understand a super crazy morning on debarkation day.

This is the worst way to distort facts. You seriously believe that guys make about 50K per year? LOL. You are taking a few positions salary and making a blanket statement.

Taken from here:

At the entry level is the dining room junior waiter. This employee is reported to make an average of $1,200 to $1,800 per month depending on tips from passengers. However, the real salary is difficult to determine as many of these types of cruise ship employees make a base salary of under $500 and gratuities are inconsistent and often not reported. A dining room waiter typically has more direct interaction with guests and valuable language skills, therefore making a reported $2,200 to $3,800 per month. A head waiter on a cruise ship will have a higher base pay than most and can make $2,600 to $4,800 per month.

Anybody can google. :classic_wink: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Just because something is optional, does not mean it is not expected or the custom.   

I don't understand the "it's not our culture to tip".  This is just an excuse.  So if you are traveling to a country that removes shoes before entering a home, do you just say "not my culture"?

Personally I think the people who claim 'It's not our culture' are hiding behind this because basically they are tightwads.

There are still many people in the UK like myself accept tipping is part of cruising.

• Like 2