QM2 April 28, 2019 Transatlantic Crossing – Mini Review

seacruise9

I sailed on the Queen Mary 2’s April 28 – May 5, 2019 transatlantic crossing and had a wonderful time.

Background: This was my seventh sailing on the QM2. Previous sailings on this ship: (1) 2004, Caribbean; (2) 2006, Canada; (3) 2009, Canada; (4) 2014, transatlantic; (5) 2016, Canada/New England; and (6) 2017, World Cruise segment from Hong Kong to Singapore. I also sailed aboard the QE2 seven times between 1984 and 2005. In recent years, I also have cruised aboard the Queen Victoria and current Queen Elizabeth. This was my sixth Cunard transatlantic crossing (three on QE2, two on QM2 and one on Queen Victoria).

I had a sheltered balcony stateroom on Deck 5 and had dinner in the Britannia Restaurant every evening. On most days, I had breakfast and lunch in the Kings Court, but had breakfast and lunch in the Britannia Restaurant on a few occasions. I also had lunch at The Verandah.

Prior to the crossing, I spent some time in London and then used the Cunard transfer service from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton.

Embarkation: The boarding process was not good. There were computer problems and boarding was substantially delayed for many passengers. Fortunately, I had priority boarding as a Cunard World Club Diamond member. The ship departed behind schedule due to this delay.

During the first night, the captain made an announcement at 2:30 am that there was going to be an emergency medical evacuation by helicopter. At approximately 10:00 the following morning, there was a second emergency evacuation.

Daily activities: I was very active during the day and usually attended two or three lectures. The lectures were excellent and very popular. They covered a wide variety of diverse and interesting topics. In addition, I saw two plays performed during the day by the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) actors. I went to afternoon tea nearly every day. On one day, RADA performed a scene from an Oscar Wilde play during afternoon tea. A tea dance was held during the final day. Of course, there was a variety of other activities such as movies, dance classes and trivia.  

Evening activities: I attended the main show each evening. There were two production shows, including a new show, Be Our Guest. I enjoyed the production shows as well as the guest performers on the other evenings. My favorite performers were the Three Tones (a male vocal group). I also liked an evening show, Cunard Street, which was held in the Carinthia Lounge. This was performed by RADA and featured the history of Cunard.

Dining: I was seated at a large table for 10 (second seating) on the lower level of the Britannia Restaurant with mostly independent travelers. The food and service were fine. I particularly enjoyed lunch at The Verandah. My meals in Kings Court were okay, but this venue usually was fairly chaotic. However, I never had trouble finding a table. Due to my busy daily schedule, my meals here usually were very quick between various activities.

Passengers: I learned that 432 people were doing back-to-back crossings roundtrip from New York. There were a fair number of passengers that recently had completed the Queen Victoria’s World Cruise. As usual, I greatly enjoyed meeting the other passengers. They were very polite and interesting.  It is very easy for a solo traveler to meet people on this ship.

Debarkation: The ship was delayed docking in New York due to a mechanical issue. As a result, debarkation was approximately 45 minutes behind schedule. I purchased the Cunard transfer to LaGuardia Airport. There were various delays and my bus did not leave the pier until 11:20 am. There were street closures due to a bicycling event. I barely arrived at the airport in time for my 1:30 pm flight.

Conclusion: I greatly enjoyed my time on the QM2 and met many interest people throughout the crossing. The ship is beautiful and I truly appreciate its design, style and atmosphere. The QM2 remains my favorite ship. I highly recommend a transatlantic crossing on this incredible ship.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Chuck

• Like 4

I was on this crossing having disembarked from the Victoria -agree with you on everything but was distressed to see some one dressed as a Scotsman in a kilt all day-rather grubby looking snd did “smell” a bit! I spoke to him and asked what plaid he was wearing and he mentioned he was a Swiss German and had what he called a “fantasy” kilt on-he Did Not impress the Brit’s or Scots at all !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, loerie said:

I was on this crossing having disembarked from the Victoria -agree with you on everything but was distressed to see some one dressed as a Scotsman in a kilt all day-rather grubby looking snd did “smell” a bit! I spoke to him and asked what plaid he was wearing and he mentioned he was a Swiss German and had what he called a “fantasy” kilt on-he Did Not impress the Brit’s or Scots at all !

Hi,

Fortunately, I did not see this person. 😃

Chuck   

• Haha 1

Thank you for the excellent review, Chuck.

We are preparing for our first QM2 crossing later this month. Although seasoned cruisers, primarily on Crystal, we are looking forward to the Cunard experience.

I saw many a liner off from NYC as a kid, including on board bon voyage parties when that was possible, the chimes announcing "All ashore going ashore", plus the streamers and all that.  So although different today the allure remains.

The crossing experience just seems so unique, so very much appreciate your comments.

1 hour ago, CalTom said:

Thank you for the excellent review, Chuck.

We are preparing for our first QM2 crossing later this month. Although seasoned cruisers, primarily on Crystal, we are looking forward to the Cunard experience.

I saw many a liner off from NYC as a kid, including on board bon voyage parties when that was possible, the chimes announcing "All ashore going ashore", plus the streamers and all that.  So although different today the allure remains.

The crossing experience just seems so unique, so very much appreciate your comments.

Hi,

I'm glad that you enjoyed the review. The QM2 truly is a magnificent and very special ship. I have done both cruises and crossings on this ship, but the crossings are particularly wonderful. Cunard offers an incredible variety of activities during the day. Because Cunard has been doing crossings since 1840, they really know how to do sea days. 😃

I hope that you have an excellent crossing. 

Chuck

Great review Chuck. I share your love of doing a crossing on the QM2. 

Just wanted to add one more highlight to your trip, you missed two snow storms while you were sipping tea in the Queens Room. Each was 4"-6" up here in Riverwoods.

Jack

On 5/9/2019 at 7:43 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Great review Chuck. I share your love of doing a crossing on the QM2. 

Just wanted to add one more highlight to your trip, you missed two snow storms while you were sipping tea in the Queens Room. Each was 4"-6" up here in Riverwoods. 

Jack

Hi,

Thanks, it is always good to hear from people who love crossings on the QM2. I was fortunate to miss the unseasonable snow storms. I currently live and work in downtown Chicago, but I used to work in Riverwoods (at an office located on Lake Cook Road). 

Chuck