How to get from cruise port civitavecchia to rental car

Aeryn2014

Does anyone know how I get to Avis after my Greek cruise?  I am very confused.  Do the car rental places have shuttles that pick you up?

I am very confused.  I would appreciate any insight any of you experienced renters may have.  

thank, Linda

No shuttles I have heard of.

The Avis is located across the street from the large fire station outside the port. If you look on Google Maps you will see it.

I would suggest taking your party outside the port by the free bus system. Then either walk, or one in your party can walk without the bags.

A taxi from within the port in unlikely. 

Using google maps to understand this area is confusing because their various tools give you conflicting information.

Street view of the Largo della Pace drop off area (image capture dated July 2018) shows this area as completely secured with no vehicles other than buses and an armed military presence to prevent unauthorized entry.

The exact same location in satellite view shows the old configuration, with this area as an open parking lot and a copyright date of 2019.

From the drop off point to the Avis office at Via XVI Settembre, 46 (see Avis site here:  https://www.avis.com/en/locations/it/civitavecchia) on foot is less than 100 meters (about 200 ft), it requires only walking across the street and around the corner.

Sometimes I think we should write a book about the logistics/geography of Civitavecchia but the rental car offices do change (i.e. Sixt is completely gone).   So how to get to Avis these days?  My advice would be to take the free port bus (it will run from your specific pier area) to its drop point at Largo della Pace.  This is a small bus transfer station and there are some benches.  So at that point one of your party should just relax with the luggage while the driver walks to Avis which is perhaps 350 yards distant.  Print out a map before your trip so the walker does not get lost or have a phone with GPS.  But it is pretty straight forward.  Once the driver gets the car he/she can drive back to Largo della Pace and retrieve passengers and luggage.

The reality is that you likely do not have any other options (other then everyone walking to Avis and dragging the luggage).  The taxis that will be at the port/pier will generally refuse to take such a short fare.

Hank