Cruising in December

mustang67

Done Eastern and Western cruise both in April and had great weather, smooth sailing each time. Thinking about Southern out of San Juan in late December but friends say they've experienced lots of motion while on board. I know this is tail end of hurricane season so is lots of motion/wave action normal for this time of year or were my friends experiences more out of the ordinary. My option is to sail in April again.........

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Of course it depends a lot on the size of your ship, but we’ve never encountered rocking in December. We actually find that the first few weeks of December are the best time to sail the Caribbean. Prices are usually the lowest (next to September’s) and the weather has always been great. We'll definitely go again then in the future.

We cruised last December and had hardly any motion at all. We were on the Serenade of the Seas to the Sothern Caribbean. This year we are going on the new Crown Princess but in the reverse order of Islands that we did last year. I say December is the time to go, especially the first two weeks after Thanksgiving as the prices seem to be at the lowest.

We've cruised twice in the Caribbean during the first part of Dec. and had no problems with rough seas, once the Southern route, once the Western route. As others have stated, it's really past the hurricane season and is usually a great price. Late December is probably another story as to price, since that is school vacation time. Of course, you can get unlucky and get rough weather at any time, but it is the exception.

We sailed in December over New Years a few years ago. It was our first cruise and the waves were so high they shut down the pools. The ship rocked so much it made walking a little tricky at times. But we took motion sickness meds prescribed by the dr. so it didn't really bother us. We loved the cruise adn are planning our next one for this year over the same time frame.

Archived