50TH Birthday in San Fran, suggestions????

Our family is taking a Pacific Coast cruise early October 2019 for my hubby's 50th birthday.  We will be in San Fransisco on his actual birthday and in port from 7am-10pm.  We've visited SF before so have seen many of the sights, but have not been in years.   He wants to see Alcatraz again, which we'll do on our own, not via the ship. Was wondering about a HOHO bus, but not sure which one and how accessible those are from the pier if we don't go through the ship.  But was wondering if anyone has any other must do's/ must see/ must eat, that would be special for such a milestone birthday?  Suggestions appreciated.  Thank you in advance. 

It will take several hours to do Alcatraz.

Here is a link to other ideas CC members had:

I don’t know who comprises your “family” or what their interests or tastes in food are, much less your budget, but it’s hard to go wrong with taking a cab or Ueber up to Coit Tower if the weather is clear, for all ages, to get a panoramic view of the City and snap some memory photos.

If the tower is open, also check out the murals inside, and  

go to the top.

If it is a weekend, or you do a dinner, make reservations ahead of time, at whatever nice restaurant you pick, as it is crowded, so you do not have waits.

You can also book your Alcatraz tickets online to save time and lines.

Edited by Catlover54
typo
  • Like 2

There are wonderful restaurants of all kinds in the city if you’re hoping to celebrate with a landmark meal. But maybe you’d rather keep it casual if you’ll be tramping around all day sightseeing? Can you tell us more about what you have in mind? Are you going for fancy vs fun vs cultural, etc?

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Chart House just down from your pier where your ship will be docked.......at least it's walkable for you....it's on the pier where all the restaurants and carrosell is.......we love it and are Landry's members.....just another option.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 11:32 AM, Qcruise said:

There is a Chart House just down from your pier where your ship will be docked.......at least it's walkable for you....it's on the pier where all the restaurants and carrosell is.......we love it and are Landry's members.....just another option.

Chart House is a joke. Landry's has destroyed the once great chain the same way they destroy everything they touch.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:10 AM, scottca075 said:

My two favorite restaurants in SF, the ones I try to eat at every time I am there, are Tadich Grill and Sam's Grill. For a special occasion I go to Quince or Benu.

I also love Tadich Grill and Sam's. For fine dining, my favorite is Gary Danko. Boulevard is another option.

Quince is a no-go for me after a bad experience with service (unbelievable, I know). Chart House is a definite no. Waterbar Restaurant and Epic Steak, on the Embarcadero, have dramatic views of the Bay Bridge, but their noise levels are absurd. I would avoid those unless you believe a view is more important than conversation.

• Like 1

The Foreign Cinema is a fun place to eat and the food is excellent if $$$$$.  It's an old movie theater with an interior open air courtyard they set up with old drive in movie theater speakers and show B&W movies on a huge screen.   

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thank you for the suggestions!  We're going to see Alcatraz for sure.  Depending on how the parents are feeling, hopefully we can do a hop on hop off bus and see more of the city.  Looking forward to eating in SF too!!!  Going to the fortune cookie factory sounds interesting!   Great suggestions from everyone! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 9:00 AM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We bought a bag of rejects.  

I believe they are called "misfortune's".  That is, they are "missing fortunes".  I love misfortune cookies as they are cheaper and pack better in the luggage.

Yep, they sell....

• chocolate cookies
  • matcha cookies
  • adult cookies

Edited by xlxo

• 1 month later...

Probably, to late for OP.  We just spent the weekend in The City to see one of the last performances of Beach Blanket Babylon, which ends it's 45 year run on NYE.  I'm so bummed we didn't go see it before.  The show is fantastic.  If anybody is in SF and can get tickets before it closes it's a must see.  We did the early show (6:00 - 7:30PM) and then had dinner after at the Stinking Rose a short walk from the theater.  Great food if you like garlic, otherwise don't bother.  Everything is covered in garlic and outstanding.   

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE