Service Charge added to Drinks Package

On 5/13/2019 at 6:17 AM, tinkr2 said:

Right, they just made it a mandatory service charge because Australians do not like to voluntarily tip as in US. And as I stated, drinks package gets the gratuity added, which is reflected by your Royal statement. Not clear why that is odd, that I said that.

Perhaps I should have said unnecessary and almost rude, rather than odd. I was trying to be polite. When I travel to the US I adhere to local customs such as tipping. I respect the customs of other countries.

On 5/14/2019 at 6:18 AM, goodml said:

Have you been to Australia? There is no voluntary tipping. It’s not customary so no need to make a dig about not ‘liking’ to tip. Their minimum wage is also almost $19/hr so there’s little need for tipping there. The price they ask is the price you pay for everything. It includes tax and whatever else.

Thanks for this.

• Like 2

Not totally relevant to op's question, but may be useful for information.

I booked Deluxe Drinks' Package for our upcoming Oasis cruise from Barcelona at £38 pppd plus tax

Last week it was $41.40 pppd plus tax

Today showing as £44.08 pppd plus tax

I was hoping for a reduction..obviously not ! Keep watching your cruise personaliser..it's all about buying when the time is right !

I have experienced this many times - it’s because your cruise doesn’t leave from Australia.

When you see the daily drinks price advertised, if you leave from Australia it includes the gratuity, if you leave elsewhere it doesn’t. In both situations what you pay at checkout is the final price. 

• Like 4

On 5/13/2019 at 4:18 PM, goodml said:

Have you been to Australia? There is no voluntary tipping. It’s not customary so no need to make a dig about not ‘liking’ to tip. Their minimum wage is also almost $19/hr so there’s little need for tipping there. The price they ask is the price you pay for everything. It includes tax and whatever else. When you book a cruise through an Australian site or agency there are also no additional gratuities added usually. That’s why the OP asked the question. What happens in the US is irrelevant.

This is not a dig. This is a statement of fact. Australians do not like the tipping system of the US. Just as you are touting pay living minimum wage, so do most others. The cruise lines were aware that tipping is not part of your culture and included it. Not everything is to pick a fight. 

1 hour ago, tinkr2 said:

This is not a dig. This is a statement of fact. Australians do not like the tipping system of the US. Just as you are touting pay living minimum wage, so do most others. The cruise lines were aware that tipping is not part of your culture and included it. Not everything is to pick a fight. 

Yet again you missed the point entirely. Cruises booked in Australia have traditionally NOT added the gratuities after the total as is the custom in North America when booking. That’s why the OP was questioning why it was different this time. It has nothing to do with what you keep saying happens or is tradition in the US.  

And I said nothing about paying a living wage. I’ve cruised since the late 80’s, book in North America, think the model is just fine and pay my gratuities as stated every single time.