Cashless in Norway - possible?

funinhounslow

Got a Norwegian cruise coming up, and I don't want to get cash and end up with an annoying amount of Krone at the end that I'm unlikely to use in the near future and isn't worth changing back.

Is it realistic to expect to be able to depend on contactless credit cards and Apple Pay for the shore days?

I can go for days without using cash in London but just wondered if this was the same in Norway? Thinking in particular of things like cafes, public transport etc

Thanks in advance

Hols4

You can buy even the smallest item in Norway with your card,papers,sweets etc. I was jokingly told by a shopkeeper they prefer card payment because no one can add up in Norway !

I took £50 worth of Krone to the Fjords last year and still have it in a drawer somewhere...

I can offer you a very good rate...

Seriously though, except for the toilets, there is no need for cash, but you might need a mortgage if you plan on visiting the coffee shops.

Andy

38 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I took £50 worth of Krone to the Fjords last year and still have it in a drawer somewhere...

I can offer you a very good rate...

Seriously though, except for the toilets, there is no need for cash, but you might need a mortgage if you plan on visiting the coffee shops.

Andy

3 hours ago, clarkttopcat said:

If you can meet me in Flam tomorrow Andy I will take the money off your hands 😁

I can't think of anything better than joining you for a coffee in Flam but that would be the 50 quid gone if we shared a cake...

Have a fantastic time, very jealous.

Andy

12 hours ago, funinhounslow said:

Got a Norwegian cruise coming up, and I don't want to get cash and end up with an annoying amount of Krone at the end that I'm unlikely to use in the near future and isn't worth changing back.

Is it realistic to expect to be able to depend on contactless credit cards and Apple Pay for the shore days?

I can go for days without using cash in London but just wondered if this was the same in Norway? Thinking in particular of things like cafes, public transport etc

Thanks in advance

We went without cash in Norway. We even bought 2 ice-cream with our cc