Ketchikan tragedy

DeanoNorthPerth

14 hours ago, Mura said:

It's been a VERY LONG time since we cruised to Alaska -- June 1990 on Princess.  But we did a flight from Misty Fjords (don't recall if it was a ship's tour or private, PROBABLY the ship).  It was a wonderful day ... don't know if I'd do it again, though!

I agree that it is pertinent here.

I did the Misty Fjords flight a few years ago as a private excursion with Michelle of Island Wings. I enjoyed the day and my friend on the sailing who is afraid of small plane flights did the Misty Fjords by boat. Said the boat excursion was disappointing. I would not do the flight again only because I consider it a one time excursion. Generally I don't repeat excursions. Planning to do Alaska again next summer and will find something different to do in Ketchikan. 

As to whether it is pertinent to this board it is not always an easy call so I will leave that to the moderators.......

Edited by Charles4515

We were scheduled to do Misty Fjords with Island Wings a couple years ago.  I had read nothing but raves about Michelle. It was cancelled because of weather - it was raining like crazy.  I wonder if weather was a factor in the unfortunate accident.  

BenMurphy/Josie,

That is a totally bizarre response. Please reread what I wrote and think about it again. I was obviously referring to the repeated complaints and resulting debate about this thread being off topic (or not) because it doesn’t expressly involve Oceania, not about the tragedy itself. How can you reasonably  interpret it that way?

Those complaints were entirely unwarranted, for the reasons others have stated and because no one is forced to read the thread.

Edited by JPR

2 hours ago, JPR said:

Those complaints were entirely unwarranted, for the reasons others have stated and because no one is forced to read the thread.

This thread references an accident which occured to an outside vendor which possibly had a contract with a different cruise line.

The only connection to Oceania is that they also travel to Alaska, and might, under different circumstances, have purchased tours from that vendor.

I would call that an extremely tenuous connection.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

This is why there are moderators.  

This board is not moderated. A least as far as I can tell.  There are posts of one poster insulting another just in the last couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

Some people let insulting comments roll off them, or, give back in kind.  If they don't report it, no intervention happens. 

I think you are right in that there is no one monitoring the content on this board on a regular basis, stepping in (or stepping on) content even if not reported.... but I wouldn't go so far as to say unmoderated. If you mouseover the top right of every post there is "report post".  This can be to report abuse, or, to report content you feel is "inappropriate". 

• Like 1

StanamdJim,

Wow. Your posts usually are quite interesting and thoughtful. But unsurprisingly it appears that everyone disagrees with your comments this time, which should give you a clue.

Oceania passengers routinely take floatplanes when they cruise to Alaska, so there are totally legitimate safety concerns among us. It’s fine to tell someone who has started a new topic on a particular cruise that they belong in Roll Call, but if Oceania Cruise Critic members want to discuss these issues, it is simply not your business to serve as the topic police in this instance.

For example, does Oceania currently use either of these two private floatplane vendors? Has fault been determined? Totally legitimate subjects for discussion here. In fact, at least one poster wrote that she had books a floatplane on her Oceania Alaska cruise and was now thinking of canceling; had she not seen this information elsewhere, she might not have known about it.

What is inexplicable is why this is such a big deal for you. Just ignore the entire discussion and move on! It’s not as if there is a shortage of space for such discussions.

Edited by JPR
  • Like 3

On 5/14/2019 at 2:47 PM, StanandJim said:

What you continuously fail to comprehend, RJB, is that posting every type of information without any rhyme or reason will only diminish the communication which you are seeking to increase.

The sheer volume of random information would plunge Cruise Critic into unreadable chaos. 

The "rules" are there for a very good reason.  

In short, your knee jerks far too often for your own good.  😉

Lighten up s & j

• Like 1