Snorkeling at Labadee or Coco Cay

We will be doing a B2B on the Allure in Octobr/November.  The Western stops at Labadee; the Eastern at Coco Cay, as of today. Both offer snorkeling boat excursions.  Is either worthwhile for a beginner/  Which is better?

Thanks

Coco Cay is much better than Labadee.  I would not even bother trying to snorkel at Labadee.  We've tried several times at Labadee and the water is typically all churned up with poor visibility.

At Coco Cay there is a sunken airplane and a reef a short distance offshore.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Coco Cay is much better than Labadee.  I would not even bother trying to snorkel at Labadee.  We've tried several times at Labadee and the water is typically all churned up with poor visibility.

At Coco Cay there is a sunken airplane and a reef a short distance offshore.

Note that at Coco Cay, you can snorkel FROM SHORE -- you don't need to take a boat excursion to do so.

Personally, though, I'd snorkel at one of the other islands on your itineraries, versus at either private island.

Is it best to have fins to get out to the wreck for snorkeling at coco cay?  Anyone know how much it is to rent just fins?  Or if it's easy to do?  I'm sure cost is reasonable but if there's a line I can't see bothering, likely won't snorkel long.

Snorkel in CocoCay but you do not need to do an excursion.  Snorkeling right from shore is amazing.  We have seen some of the coolest stuff at CocoCay.  We head first to the area where there is the opening between the rocks towards the lifeguard station way to the left.  Then we swim across to the far right buoy-that is where the plane wreck is.  Then when you head toward shore and the other buoy, that is where the sunken ship is.  Lots of great things to see there.  We take our own gear, but you can rent it on the island if you need to.

Water at Labadee is super clear, especially at Nellie's Beach, but the snorkeling there is nothing to brag about.  CocoCay has way better snorkeling.  We have snorkeled at CocoCay countless times and always love it there.

10 minutes ago, SAmome said:

Is it best to have fins to get out to the wreck for snorkeling at coco cay?  Anyone know how much it is to rent just fins?  Or if it's easy to do?  I'm sure cost is reasonable but if there's a line I can't see bothering, likely won't snorkel long.

yes you need fins, makes much easier to get out there and back as it is a ways out there

56 minutes ago, karena1 said:

yes you need fins, makes much easier to get out there and back as it is a ways out there

Plus, depending on the location and weather conditions, we've experienced a strong current at times and it would have been very much harder to get back to shore without the fins.

This was at Coco Cay in Jan. 2018. The water was chilly and the currant was the worst I had ever seen. Fins are a must. The Turtle was by the plane and the Sting Rays were on the left be the rock opening going out to the ocean. Search YouTube to see what others have been able to see at Coco Cay.

Happy Sailing!!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BlueSkySailing said:

This was at Coco Cay in Jan. 2018. The water was chilly and the currant was the worst I had ever seen. Fins are a must. The Turtle was by the plane and the Sting Rays were on the left be the rock opening going out to the ocean. Search YouTube to see what others have been able to see at Coco Cay.

Happy Sailing!!!

I could tell the current was strong, but the video and the sea life were amazing, I must do it!  Thanks!😁

Edited by Judyrem
wrong tense
  • Thanks 1