Greenland/Iceland Excursion Recommendations

Swordfish1949

We are cruising to both Greenland and Iceland (Reykjavik & Akureyri) and I wanted to know folks experience with excursions there (whether private or through Celebrity).

Apologies in advance if my search for this information was faulty and the information is already on the boards.

Thanks for your help

In Akureyri, just go round the port, it's very lovely with shops and views.

Or if the excursion is available, go to the Whaling Station and see the sights getting there. When there the Station shows the history and it is amazing what they did in the olden days.

29 minutes ago, SausPud said:

In Akureyri, just go round the port, it's very lovely with shops and views.

The OP should also be asking in the Northern Europe Ports of Call forum as Guindalf said above, but since you posted your comment, I just want to respectfully disagree on how to spend the day.  We were in Akureyri for several days last summer on a HAL cruise (was only supposed to be one day, but weather gave us the other two).  I would strongly suggest an all-day excursion that takes you out of Akureyri and into the beautiful natural surroundings (which really is the reason for visiting Iceland, imho). The typical excursion from Akureyri will visit the Goðafoss waterfall, Lake Myvatn, the lava "sculptures" at Dimmuborgir, the geothermal area of Hverir (steaming vents, bubbling sulphur mud pits), and possibly an optional stop at the Myvtan Nature Baths (like the Blue Lagoon, but not as touristy, and just wonderful).  The day we spent doing this (on a private tour) was one of the best of a spectacular trip.

OP: please go over to the Northern Europe board, where I and others will be happy to suggest some excursions from Reykjavik, and where you'll find info on Greenland as well (and I'd be happy to comment about it there too).

enhance

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Swordfish1949 said:

We are cruising to both Greenland and Iceland (Reykjavik & Akureyri) and I wanted to know folks experience with excursions there (whether private or through Celebrity).

Apologies in advance if my search for this information was faulty and the information is already on the boards.

Thanks for your help

Besides checking the Northern European boards, please check in with your roll call. We have a roll call for Ireland/Iceland and a lot of people have connected there to set up private tours. We have a group of 10 so did not need to connect with anyone else but it’s the way to go. It really cuts the cost of the tours if you hook up with others. ToursByLocals and Saga Tours seem to be popular. I am so excited to be going to Iceland. Can’t wait!!

• Like 1