Alaskan Bliss: A Live Trip Report May 19-26

rockfsh

Great review. Brought back happy memories. We stayed in the same DOS in September. Isn't it awesome?! It was me (60), hubby (63) and my mom (89). We had always stayed in the Haven 2br and mom LOVED her bed and bedroom in the DOS. 

Who was your concierge and butler? Our asst concierge was Elena Salgado. She definitely deserved to be promoted  to concierge. (I won't name the Concierge but I will say Elena did way more for us than he did!) We had Lanie Limjoco for our butler. I heard a few weeks ago that she was training for a promotion. It would be awesome if Elena was concierge and Lanie was her assistant. They both went above and beyond duty. Our steward was Randolf Infante. He was awesome too.

Glad you had such a great time. How can you not in the DOS on Bliss and going to Alaska?! LOL!

Edited by Aprille

Our Butler was Walter who worked his way up from bellman. Concierge was Patrick and room steward was Randolph. All were excellent. The 2nd bedroom in the DOS is indeed great. All rooms in the DOS are great.

Thank you for such a good report along with all the photo's and videos to it was great to see.

We will be in this exact cabin next June sailing from Seattle so this was a fabulous preview of our trip.

Thank you for taking the time to do it and for sharing

On 5/29/2019 at 3:03 PM, rockfsh said:

NCL Bliss Haven Boarding

I (may be) finally finished 🙂

I really enjoyed your review and all the photos and videos.  One part of this video floored me when the butler asked/assumed your family was Japanese.  Then when you explained you were from Hawaii, he then asked, do they speak Japanese there?  You then state, we speak English in Hawaii.

OMG.  If it was not on video, I may not have believed it.  Was there some sort of inside joke the viewer did not see to put this in context?  

Edited by david_sobe

6 hours ago, rockfsh said:

^ David, no inside joke. Several times on the cruise people would try to speak to me in Japanese or Chinese.  "No hablo Ingles.", I would respond.

Oh wow, strange. I find it amazing that a cruise ship full of such diversity would have people so narrow with assumptions.  Its fine to ask people where they are from before you assume something. NCL sails Hawaii so was surprised he did not know Hawaii is part of the United States.

Sorry to digress.  Thanks again for a wonderful review.

1 hour ago, rockfsh said:

David:
I'm sure he knows that Hawai'i is part of the US. I think he was asking if those of Japanese descent in Hawai'i speak Japanese. My wife does.

Oh that explains it then.  I could tell there may have been a context that I could not pick up from the video.

On 5/22/2019 at 5:11 PM, rockfsh said:

Juneau, the Capitol.snip...<We took a pre-booked taxi from Glacier Taxi. I highly recommend using this company. We took it to Mendenhall Glacier and were dropped off just a 5 minute walk away. Fare $38. The Glacier buses now charge $44 PP.
Our  driver Tom is an Alaska native in that his ancestors were here over 10,000 years ago. If you use him, tell him Ken says "Hi". He took us to see the Governor's Manson as a drive  by  with no extra cost.snip.....>

The price for the taxi  is that per  person, one way? If so how did you get back?  Sounds like a nice alternative to the bus. Was the bus a regular bus  or  one especially for the tourists...again would you have to pre-book for that?

19 minutes ago, t60 said:

The price for the taxi  is that per  person, one way? If so how did you get back?  Sounds like a nice alternative to the bus. Was the bus a regular bus  or  one especially for the tourists...again would you have to pre-book for that?

The price is the total one way not PP. We had 4 persons so it was cheaper than the blue/white bus. The City bus is cheaper but the drop off is about 2.5 miles away. You should pre book as many tried to grab OUR cab at the cruise dock. Glacier taxi is orange and easy to spot. We were also picked up by Glacier Taxi. We called them after visiting Nugget Falls. Someone tried to grab our cab on the way back too. The drop off/pick up spot is an easy 5 minute walk from the Glacier Center.

The taxi drop off/ pickup site is here (near the black SUV). This is from Google Maps street view. You can walk to the Visitor Center easily.

https://www.google.com/maps/@58.4123564,-134.5450395,3a,75y,327.92h,63.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssWthuvC7I_rlH4xGmSfY8A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The Glacier Center is a 5 minute walk up the street. It's  third of a mile away.

Edited by rockfsh