Alaskan Bliss: A Live Trip Report May 19-26

rockfsh

22 minutes ago, rockfsh said:

On one end is the shower window. At the other end is  door to the master bedroom.

This balcony is  sheltered and usable.DSC06173.jpg

Oh I get it now! You are so nice to take the time to explain. The DOS is a bucket list item for me and I am working up the financial nerve to book one. Hence all my Qs, lol. Thanks again.

Juneau, the Capitol.

We arrived in Juneau over an hour early but the Joy was parked in OUR slot. OH JOY!

IMG-7321.jpg

DSC06198.jpg

When we finally docked they first boarded the passengers that missed Seattle.
To get ashore we were allowed to use this elevator which some feel is appropriate for Haven guests.

DSC06205.jpg

We took a pre-booked taxi from Glacier Taxi. I highly recommend using this company. We took it to Mendenhall Glacier and were dropped off just a 5 minute walk away. Fare $38. The Glacier buses now charge $44 PP.
Our  driver Tom is an Alaska native in that his ancestors were here over 10,000 years ago. If you use him, tell him Ken says "Hi". He took us to see the Governor's Manson as a drive  by  with no extra cost.

DSC06237.jpg

DSC06207.jpg

The Nugget falls trail is an easy walk of about a mile. It is designated a Bear Trail with no food allowed (you will be the  food.)

DSC06235.jpg
I saw no bears except some fellow Berkeley alums who shouted "Go Bears!". "Not today", I replied.

The falls are well worth the hike. Cold refreshing spray from the falls cools you off after the hike in. We met fellow M&Gs Shay and Racelle again.

DSC06216.jpg

DSC06225.jpg

DSC06234.jpg

We were saddened to see the glacier had receded since we were last here 5 years ago.

DSC06224.jpg

You can barely see my tripod on the balcony in this shot

DSC06245.jpg

Back on the ship we had dinner at Los Lobos. The table side guacamole muy bien.

DSC06252.jpg

On to Skagway

IMG-7334.jpg

Hasta luego.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shawnanewtocruise said:

Interested in activities offered in the Teen Club.  Do they have a daily schedule posted?  Thanks!  Our son will turn 13 while we are cruising.

They do post a schedule but when I went down to check,  I found thisDSC06265.jpg

DSC06264.jpg

56 minutes ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

Looks like a nice weather day.  We are doing Bliss in June and struggling with what to pack.  Loving your trip reports, and watching to see what everyone is wearing.  🙂

Great in Skagway today. In Seattle  I gave the UBER driver a big tip and asked him to insure great weather on the trip. He agreed to try.

• Like 1

Skagway has a population of a little over a thousand. Even with all the cruise season help, a single cruise ship is enough to overwhelm the small town.
Yesterday there were 4 ships in port and both the Joy and Bliss were among them, parked end to end at the Railroad dock. Bliss was in front so the Joy cruisers had to walk further.
The steep hill adjacent to the Railroad dock is subject to landslides. The dock is hopefully protected by fencing, a barrier wall and a tunnel of containers. Someone spray painted "Trump" on the barrier wall. Since politics here is frowned upon, I'll (try too) refrain from making further comments about this.

DSC06287.jpg

DSC06397.jpg

There is a Smart Bus shuttle that runs (all day) from the pier through the town  with pickup every few minutes. Fare is $2 a hop or $5 all day. It's well worth it.

We attended the "Days of '98" show @ Broadway and 6th. It has played every cruise season since 1923 making it the longest running musical on this or any other Broadway. I give it 5*s. It is based on the true story of the life and (spoiler) death of grifter Jefferson (Soapy) Smith, a charlatan the likes of(insert your own &*)#@). After the show, I asked the girls, "How much for an all-nighter?" Since the Bliss was to depart @ 11 PM, this was not a realistic proposal.

DSC06330.jpg

DSC06341.jpg

After the show we ate lunch at the new location of the Skagway Brewing Company. Great food but it took 45 minutes after ordering to get it. Food and beer 5*, service 1*.

DSC06344.jpg

DSC06353.jpg

DSC06361.jpg

The delay in posting is due to no internet @ Glacier Bay.

Edited by rockfsh
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, UWCorry said:

Random question but were any of the pools or water slides open? We are on the Bliss in 9 days and I want to at least try that slide!

All are open with warm water

• Like 1

Glacier Bay, where the snows of ten thousand yester-years make their way finally to the sea.
Above me a lady on the Haven sun deck exclaimed, "Paraiso!" as we reached Margerie Glacier. Paradise indeed although we are used to a warmer variety of paradise.

Several guests were invited to view from the bow of the ship. I waved, some waved back.

IMG-7369.jpg

IMG-7371.jpg

IMG-7387.jpg

DSC06486.jpg

IMG-7405.jpg

Next we visited John Hopkins Glacier (yes THAT John Hopkins). We could not get close due to harbor seal breeding.

IMG-7429.jpg

IMG-7443.jpg
On the way out I spotted a group of kayakers. Don't know where they came from.

DSC06512.jpg

DSC06517.jpg
Heading out of the Bay, we passed a Princess ship. Princess is facing federal charges for dumping waste in Glacier Bay. (Everyone Boo!)

IMG-7418.jpg

On the way to Ketchikan we followed  a HAL vessel. (Not that NCL follows HAL in any category except price.)

IMG-7465.jpg

• Like 1

Ketchikan calls itself 1st City just because it's the 1st city in Alaska coming
from the South. It's another beautiful day in SE Alaska.

DSC06587.jpg

It also is a short stay here. We walk up the Creek Street, a former red light district.

DSC06583.jpg

The infamous Dolly's House now charges $10 for a tour. Back in the day you could get  a quickie for the same price.

DSC06571.jpg

DSC06573.jpg

These two are tour guides. Working ladies of a different sort.

DSC06581.jpg

This sign is misspelled.

DSC06582.jpg

I did not know Santa spends his Spring in Ketchican.

DSC06584.jpg

Can you spot the eagle?

DSC06563.jpg

Just another Dam HAL ship.

DSC06592.jpg

Our ship.

DSC06588.jpg

Tomorrow Victoria, named after the former Empress of India.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 7:52 AM, rockfsh said:

They moved us 2 doors down.

Despite what my countdown clock says, I haven't (yet) sailed.
Lynette C. who just finished sailing today in the same suite we reserved told me she left me a "surprise" hidden in the cabin. I hope it is not a chocolate covered strawberry.

I think it was the “leak”!

On 5/19/2019 at 7:52 AM, rockfsh said:

They moved us 2 doors down.

Despite what my countdown clock says, I haven't (yet) sailed.
Lynette C. who just finished sailing today in the same suite we reserved told me she left me a "surprise" hidden in the cabin. I hope it is not a chocolate covered strawberry.

Just realized that if they moved you 2 doors down, you got upgraded to the DOS!!

Fabulous, I guess they were not able to get anyone to bid on that one.

What a great upgrade, congratulations!!