August Cuba cruise Port of Miami flight time?

docboy

Hi everyone,

First time sailing on MSC... Family and I will be on the Aug 12-Aug 19 MSC Armonia.  Departing and arriving at Port of Miami (heading off to Cozumel, Cuba, etc...)

I'm currently looking at flights and been monitoring prices.  Prices from WA state to Miami are pricey, ugh.

Question on the arrival date: Ship comes back to Port of Miami Monday Aug 19 at 7am. If I book a flight that departs Miami International Airport at 11:15am, is this enough time to make the flight?  The 11:15am departure is quite a bit cheaper than the 12pm departure, so I'm trying to see if I can save some money and use it for excursions 🙂  We plan on carrying our own on suitcases fwiw. 

Thanks!

I'm a little unclear as to where you are heading after the cruise.  You state arrival date but then say Aug 19th so I'll assume you're talking about disembarkation date.   Also, did you status match to a level that gives you priority disembarkation or plan to do self disembarkation with the masses.  Regardless, I guess it boils down to how stressful you want to end your cruise.  11:45 from Miami is quite doable for domestic flights, just get in the line early.

10 minutes ago, Até said:

I'm a little unclear as to where you are heading after the cruise.  You state arrival date but then say Aug 19th so I'll assume you're talking about disembarkation date.   Also, did you status match to a level that gives you priority disembarkation or plan to do self disembarkation with the masses.  Regardless, I guess it boils down to how stressful you want to end your cruise.  11:45 from Miami is quite doable for domestic flights, just get in the line early.

Apologies if I wasn't clear.  Yes you are correct, Aug 19th is the disembarkation date.

I wasn't aware I needed to do a "status match" to get priority disembarkation.  Is this something I can do online or do I need to call?

For those who have disembarked in Miami with a 7am Port of Miami arrival time, does the 11:15am departure from Miami International Airport give me enough time?  Or should I forgo saving some money and go for the 12pm flight departure? Thanks.

Bump...

Would be very grateful if anyone here has experience with MSC disembarkation process.  If the ship arrives in Miami at 7am and we carry our own luggage, can we make it to Miami International Airport and catch a 11:15am flight departure.  Thanks!

We just returned from the Armonia and flew home. Our flight was late so we did not rush to get off the ship and we were off by 9:30 and at the airport by 10:15. They started self assist by 7am so I would say no problem making the 11:15 am flight.

32 minutes ago, rwdtgb said:

We just returned from the Armonia and flew home. Our flight was late so we did not rush to get off the ship and we were off by 9:30 and at the airport by 10:15. They started self assist by 7am so I would say no problem making the 11:15 am flight.

Thanks for sharing, very helpful!

Mind me asking for self carry luggage during disembarkation, did you have to "sign" up anywhere online or call?

just tell guest services that you want to self disembark and then go to the disembarkation area from 7 as said you take your own cases so do not put them outside your door

You will also have to make sure your ship account is all paid up

Edited by Epos Man

11 minutes ago, Epos Man said:

just tell guest services that you want to self disembark and then go to the disembarkation area from 7 as said you take your own cases so do not put them outside your door

Thanks for the info.

Mind me asking, can you share your experience with self disembarkation?  Was it swift and fairly quick?   This will be my first time cruising with MSC, so just wanted to get a good feel.

depends entirely on the port authority if you get to the disembarkation area on the ship at around the 7am time its more than probable that you will be off and through the customs and border area by 8.30 at the latest.

Not done miami yet but have heard that they are doing face recognition when you get off which in theory would make that side quicker as well

Off Armonia yesterday morning.  Had a late flight out of FLL.  Have you looked at flying in/out of FLL?  For me, flights are considerably cheaper and the shared shuttle (I used QLS this time) was only $13/pp each way.

Anyway, we were lounging up in the pool area when, about mid-way through the disembarkation process, the CD announced that disembarking was halted for a while.  Then he announced that there was a fire alarm in the terminal and it had to be evacuated and cleared before they could re-start!  Not sure how long the delay lasted but we weren't out of the terminal until almost 11 (our disembark time was originally to be at 9:45).  I can only imagine the mob scene in there when departing pax were let back in to claim their luggage and get back in line to go through customs!

Yes, typically one can do self-assist (early) disembarkation on most lines and get to nearby airports in time.  But things do happen.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were people who missed their flights yesterday.

Just know that it's a risk.