Best port to do a Safari??

Kiwi_cruiser

cashmeremypuppydog!!  Thank you for all your information!!  Did you write a blog that you can share? I saw your post on the Feb 2/21 Cpt to Singapore Oceania roll call to read your posts here!!  Thank you for doing that!  I am going to write you as I have so many questions.  

Lauren

On 6/13/2020 at 10:09 AM, deus said:

cashmeremypuppydog!!  Thank you for all your information!!  Did you write a blog that you can share? I saw your post on the Feb 2/21 Cpt to Singapore Oceania roll call to read your posts here!!  Thank you for doing that!  I am going to write you as I have so many questions.  

Lauren

Looking forward to hearing from you Lauren!

The Canadians!😎

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 10:36 AM, 31 cents said:

I was hoping to go to south Africa in Jan./Feb 2021, but with the Covid 19 virus, it is on hold.  I think my expectations are too high,  I would like to visit the Krugar area, Capetown and VIctoria Falls.  I hope to include stays at 2 different lodges for safaris for 2-3 nights,  I think that is doable, but my problem is I am a cruise lover.  I also have a hard time with long flights.  We are coming from the united states.  I have found cruises that sail round-trip Capetown and also from Dubai to Capetown on NCL that are reasonably priced.  So we would do the Safaris before of after the cruise.  I like some of the packages OAT has.  My problem are the flights.  Flying to Dubai or Capetown is sooooo long.  Any ideas?

We have done a short 2 night safari from a cruise ship near Port Elizabeth -- after the 2 nights, we flew to meet our ship in Durban.  We also spent 2 months in South Africa this past Jan/Feb.  I can recommend Qatar flights for well priced business class from the USA -- the problem was the long layover in Doha, but part of the adventure?? (not really).  The 12hr+flights did not seem long at all.  We ruled out flying into Jo.burg, which would have made a Kruger safari a choice.    We decided to base in Cape Town, and a safari was not our main goal.  We ruled out Kruger and other parks as it was their summer, and didn't feel like it was the best time of year for us. We did stay 3 nights in a private game park near Port Elizabeth (the end of a 2 week garden route drive) and then flew to Victoria falls from Port Elizabeth with a return to Cape Town.   The flights connected through Johannesburg, but I believe there might be a direct flight from the Falls to Cape Town.  If you have a short amount of time, I found the private reserves to be very nice -- though I would like to do Kruger some day. 

• 7 months later...
On 1/14/2020 at 11:42 PM, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Thank You everyone for your information,  very helpfully 😊

I just wanted to post an update from our cruise and share some photos from our first Safari:

On 22nd November 2019 we were in Port Elizabeth, South Africa and we did our first Safari.

It was really good. We saw Zebra, Elephants, Giraffe, Rhinos, Lions with a fresh kill, Warthogs plus lots of Springboks to name a few…. It was a good day!

The game reserve ask us if we want to post photos of the Rhinos on social media, not to name them, as then poachers, will know that they got rhinos and go and try and poach them!

IMG_8246.JPG

IMG_8298.JPG

IMG_8318.JPG'

IMG_8339.JPG'

IMG_8343.JPG

IMG_8396.JPG

IMG_8439.JPG'

IMG_8447.JPG

IMG_8460.JPG'

IMG_8488.JPG

IMG_8570.JPG

IMG_8603.JPG'

IMG_8610.JPG

IMG_8708.JPG

IMG_8837.JPG

IMG_8894.JPG

Hi Kiwi, 

I found this old thread loved the pictures.  Are they from a day trip with the cruise ship.  Where did you go on the Port Elizabeth day.  elephant Island or Addo?

Thanks, Mary

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 2:16 PM, 4774Papa said:

Bengal tiger In Africa?

Note the fencing and the plastic watering hole.

Not out in the wild like the native species in the other photos.

It's effectively in a zoo environment - and there are other examples in South Africa.

But hey, you could say much the same about Regents Park, or Longleat, or San Diego Zoo.

JB 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 1:05 PM, Lido deck main said:

Hi Kiwi, 

I found this old thread loved the pictures.  Are they from a day trip with the cruise ship.  Where did you go on the Port Elizabeth day.  elephant Island or Addo?

Thanks, Mary

Yes, we did this trip thought the cruise ship Queen Elizabeth.

We did not go to elephant Island or Addo.

The game reserve ask us if we want to post photos of the Rhinos on social media, not to name them, as then poachers, will know that they got rhinos and go and try and poach them!

Sorry I cannot name them!

7 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Yes, we did this trip thought the cruise ship Queen Elizabeth.

We did not go to elephant Island or Addo.

Sorry I cannot name them!

Hi Kiwi, 

thanks for answering.  What location did you go to, what was the excursion name.

• 2 months later...

I travel a lot, go to a lot of countries and visit a lot of different ports. I have been to the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Kenya. My last trip was to Kenya. There is a very good port there. A very good travel agency helped me with my trip. I really liked the wildlife and the wild animals I saw there. I used to love to see architectural structures, but after Kenya I like nature and animals more. Not only that, but I want to travel more in Africa and see the animals and nature. But would like to visit some more exotic countries, can anyone recommend a good agency? https://www.natureswonderlandsafaris.com/

53 minutes ago, Dan5632 said:

I travel a lot, go to a lot of countries and visit a lot of different ports. I have been to the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Kenya. My last trip was to Kenya. There is a very good port there. A very good travel agency helped me with my trip. I really liked the wildlife and the wild animals I saw there. I used to love to see architectural structures, but after Kenya I like nature and animals more. Not only that, but I want to travel more in Africa and see the animals and nature. But would like to visit some more exotic countries, can anyone recommend a good agency? https://www.natureswonderlandsafaris.com/

Dan,

Are you asking for a travel agency?  We don't use one.   I do all the research and we have traveled any way possible:

1) Cruises, usually in conjunction with a land trip.

2) River Cruise

3) Bus tours

4) Going it your own, booking B&Bs or small  hotels, renting a car or taking the train.   Sometimes booking private tours.

We are booked with Good Earth Tours for our safari.

Check out Gate 1 tours, they have great tours reasonably priced.

• 2 months later...

I realize some of this thread is older but I noticed some of the safari costs & would like to add my pre-cruise (cruise began in Cape Town) safari.  We flew to Johannesburg for a 6 night safari:

TYDON AFRICAN SAFARIS - "reserved the six-day Kruger Park and Sabi Sand safari from 28/01/2020 to 02/02/2020 for 3 adults sharing ( 1 tent at Safari Camp, 2 tents at Bush Camp). You will be at Bush Camp for three nights and Safari Camp three nights". 

NOTE: "Tents" included normal beds, indoor bathrooms, air-conditioning...not your typical "tent camping".

The price, including pick-up & drop-off from Johannesburg hotel was: $1,536.53 per person - including all meals, 2 daily game drives via 4X4 + 1 night drive ( frequently off-road in Sabi Sand - preferred to Kruger where you must stay on pavement but where we saw the Wild dogs) + 1 night campfire dinner AND if you are young enough (<65?) a walking excursion in the Bush.  We saw every imaginable animal except a Black Mamba or a Cheetah that another group saw!    Unforgettable!

Edited by ljones
Additional

• 11 months later...
On 1/15/2020 at 12:42 AM, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Thank You everyone for your information,  very helpfully 😊

I just wanted to post an update from our cruise and share some photos from our first Safari:

On 22nd November 2019 we were in Port Elizabeth, South Africa and we did our first Safari.

It was really good. We saw Zebra, Elephants, Giraffe, Rhinos, Lions with a fresh kill, Warthogs plus lots of Springboks to name a few…. It was a good day!

IMG_8246.JPG

IMG_8298.JPG

IMG_8318.JPG'

IMG_8339.JPG'

IMG_8343.JPG

IMG_8396.JPG

IMG_8439.JPG'

IMG_8447.JPG

IMG_8460.JPG'

IMG_8488.JPG

IMG_8570.JPG

IMG_8603.JPG'

IMG_8610.JPG

IMG_8708.JPG

IMG_8837.JPG

IMG_8894.JPG

What tour company did you use?  It looks amazing.  Juliekayberry@gmail.com

• 6 months later...

My Son did a safari in Kruger a few years ago when he visited South Africa.    He did the safari in Kenya and Tanzania with me this August and said that our safari was by far the best when comparing the two.  We were able to see the great migration of thousands of wildebeests crossing the river, which is special.  Also, we saw so much that was amazing.