Dress Code Along Danube Waltz Countries Visited

Beeper

I am aware that European countries don't have as quite a relaxed public general dress code as the U.S.

We're sailing next year and visiting Hungary, Slovakia, Austria and Germany.  Are shorts acceptable on

the various tours?  I have to assume no tank shirts for the men or revealing tops for the women. Am I

correct on that?

I appreciate any input so I know just what not to pack! 

Thank you!

In general, I would say you are correct.  However, I have worn shorts in Hungary, Austria and Germany.  I have read where others have said that jeans are not appropriate to wear in Europe.  In response to this I would say we see many locals wearing jeans in Europe.  But they are usually younger - under 40.  One thing you should remember about wearing shorts is that you may not be allowed into some churches with shorts and/or with shoulders showing.  I would also agree with your comment about no tank tops for men or revealing shirts for women.

I would summarize by saying that, in general, Europeans dress more modestly and better than what you might see in the US.

But, at the same time, you will see some locals dressed similar to the way we dress in the US.  On our very recent cruise in Eastern Europe a couple of our independent tour guides were wearing jeans.

I would say if you want to wear jeans go for it but I would leave the tank tops at home.  Lastly, remember jeans will take more room in the suitcase and might take longer to dry if you wash them.

Stan

Yes, shorts are acceptable for men and women. However, for churches tank-tops and bare midriffs will need to be covered and skirts and shorts should be closer to the knees than to the navel (grab a sarong to wrap around your waist).

As for jeans, they are as common in Europe as they are in the US, even in the over 40 set. But, travelingman does make some interesting points about weight, etc. If you are going to wash them, for heavens sake don't try to do it in your stateroom sink or the shower; they will take days to dry. Send them to the laundry and they will be back in your closet in 24 hours.

Edited by Peregrina651

3 hours ago, djh1959 said:

We visit Europe most years in winter, and I am closer to 60 than 40.  I always wear jeans, often black, but denim too.  Have never felt out of place.

I too wear jeans - never felt out of place either. Have never worn shorts in Europe though.

• Like 1