Norwegian Breakaway: Replacement show for Cirque Dreams?

connolk

Hi - I read that Cirque Dreams was discontinued in April: do you know what's replaced it, and what the showtimes are? 

Also, were you able to reserve in advance?   Sailing on Sunday 5/26/19!  

Thanks in advance for replies! 

Velvet

Ready to “Turn the Beat Around”? Then slip behind the red velvet rope to relive the music and glamour of the sexy disco era. Showcasing a stellar array of circus acrobatics, Velvet will have you off your seat with excitement singing along with fabulous disco divas, and boogying to groovy hits like “Enough is Enough” and “Last Dance.”

I assume you already have a "myNCL" account on the NCL website? You can log in, view your Vacation Summary, go to 'Explore and Plan', select 'Entertainment', find "Velvet" and Select it. Then you'll see the booking options. It is a dinner and show, cost is $29.99pp plus 20% service charge. Currently I see that reservations are available on all evenings of that cruise (from May 26 through June 1) except May 31. There seem to be 3 shows per day, at 5:15pm, 7:00pm, and 8:45pm, although I can't be absolutely sure, as all 3 times do not show up on every night, so the online booking slots for some of those times may already be filled up. 

On 5/23/2019 at 10:50 PM, BirdTravels said:

Velvet

Ready to “Turn the Beat Around”? Then slip behind the red velvet rope to relive the music and glamour of the sexy disco era. Showcasing a stellar array of circus acrobatics, Velvet will have you off your seat with excitement singing along with fabulous disco divas, and boogying to groovy hits like “Enough is Enough” and “Last Dance.”

Anyone know age requirements/suggestions for this show?

On 5/25/2019 at 4:26 PM, BeccaGrad said:

I am SOOO Sad that Cirque has been replaced it was one of the things I was excited for!!

If you've seen any land-based Cirque performance, you wouldn't have been very impressed with the Cirque show onboard.

It wasn't bad. It just wasn't very good either. And, the food is mediocre.

If you haven't seen a Cirque show though... then it is worth seeing.

But if that's the case... treat yourself to a Vegas vacation and see a real Cirque performance. They're spectacular.

• 4 weeks later...

The new show (saw last week) is great - however, there is one scene that I was embarrassed about (my 9 year old was with me). They had - only for one scene that did not go along - at all - with the rest of the show inappropriate things for kids. Whips, chains, black leather, face masks and men being led on hands and knees like animals on a chain. THat one scene brought the show (in MY opinion) from an outstanding PG show to a R. I had to answer questions about that afterwards. Real let down (to me). But, if you're not brining a young kid in, it's only about a 2 minute scene and the rest of the show is AWESOME! I really enjoyed it. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, kirkleyv said:

The new show (saw last week) is great - however, there is one scene that I was embarrassed about (my 9 year old was with me). They had - only for one scene that did not go along - at all - with the rest of the show inappropriate things for kids. Whips, chains, black leather, face masks and men being led on hands and knees like animals on a chain. THat one scene brought the show (in MY opinion) from an outstanding PG show to a R. I had to answer questions about that afterwards. Real let down (to me). But, if you're not brining a young kid in, it's only about a 2 minute scene and the rest of the show is AWESOME! I really enjoyed it. 

I agree that if a show is clearly inappropriate for children, NCL has a duty to make parents/guardians aware of that fact.

I have to say I really did enjoy the former cirque dreams dinner show. It may not have been on the scale of a Cirque du Soleil show, but then the latter would have been impossible to pull off on a cruise ship. And it wasn’t as expensive as going to a Cirque du Soleil show even though dinner was provided (admittedly, not a great dinner)....

Edited by fondtravel

I thought that watching the circus skills of a few talented performers up close did hold some interest for me, but I didn't think it was a great show and look forward to seeing its replacement. 

9 hours ago, fondtravel said:

I have to say I really did enjoy the former cirque dreams dinner show. It may not have been on the scale of a Cirque du Soleil show, but then the latter would have been impossible to pull off on a cruise ship. And it wasn’t as expensive as going to a Cirque du Soleil show even though dinner was provided (admittedly, not a great dinner)....

Ummm, not really: 

MSC + Cirque du Soleil

MSC Cruises has partnered with Cirque du Soleil to elevate the guest experience to new heights by introducing creative shows and performance spaces never before seen at sea.
This long-term and unique partnership will see a total of eight original shows produced exclusively for MSC Cruises’ four Meraviglia generation ships.
The first two shows are currently available on board MSC Meraviglia and now, two brand news shows are coming to MSC Bellissima starting March 2019. 
Six nights per week, this entertainment experience takes place in the multi-million euro, custom-made entertainment and dining venue, the Carousel Lounge, where guests will be able to enjoy dinner or cocktail and then experience a Cirque du Soleil at Sea performance.

Just now, fondtravel said:

Great to see that there will be Cirque du Soleil performances on MSC ships! Although I think they’ll still have to decrease the scale. Too much to expect motorcycles doing aerial turns, for example.

That's likely true about the motorcycles, however, CdS is not just about MCs. They are very creative and always looking for new/more ways to wow the crowd. 

On 6/21/2019 at 6:00 PM, kirkleyv said:

Does it still have tricks/acrobatics like cirque?

2 hours ago, Bobrunner said:

Is the Rock of Ages still playing?  Time to move on.  

Yes, one can still make reservations to the Rock of Ages through at least September that I have checked.    But we still need some intelligence on this new Velvet show.   Many made the choice of the Breakaway rather than other ships so that they could enjoy a cirque show with their kids.   Now we are hearing of a sex slave show masked with some aerobics and perhaps some dancing.    Which story is more correct.   Would a normal family take their six to 10 year old kids or tweens or even their teenagers without any of their parties being embarrassed or disgusted?   At nearly $30 a head that a lot a money to spend on something that one has to walk out of during dinner, a mediocre dinner at that.    That is the information that we need.

(And I am coming from camp of advising several cruiselines to come up with more adult shows in the after cruise survey from 10 to 19 years ago.    They have met that request, but now they appear to be going overboard in eliminating family events to meet the needs of old people.)

On 7/2/2019 at 1:21 AM, Hotspring said:

Yes, one can still make reservations to the Rock of Ages through at least September that I have checked.    But we still need some intelligence on this new Velvet show.   Many made the choice of the Breakaway rather than other ships so that they could enjoy a cirque show with their kids.   Now we are hearing of a sex slave show masked with some aerobics and perhaps some dancing.    Which story is more correct.   Would a normal family take their six to 10 year old kids or tweens or even their teenagers without any of their parties being embarrassed or disgusted?   At nearly $30 a head that a lot a money to spend on something that one has to walk out of during dinner, a mediocre dinner at that.    That is the information that we need.

(And I am coming from camp of advising several cruiselines to come up with more adult shows in the after cruise survey from 10 to 19 years ago.    They have met that request, but now they appear to be going overboard in eliminating family events to meet the needs of old people.)

I don’t think this show is only for old people.... just adults. Personally, as a couple in our 30s, I’m ok with this. Kids can go do the kids stuff and parents can go enjoy this. Having some night time escapes for parents is great imho.