Reputable Travel Insurance

CathieM88

We have decided that we will be puchasing travel insurance when we book our trip for next January, but have a few questions. Many have suggested not purchasing it through our TA but rather use one of the places on-line. How do you know which one is reputable? Is there a Consumers Guide type listing for these places? I am not positive but if I remember correctly my TA only offers cancellation not the medical, etc. and we would like it all.

Thanks again, you all are fantastic! I am counting down the days to when I can post on here that we have actually booked our cruise!!!!

Cathie

Insuremytrip.com is the name of a website where you can compare companies. If you are young you might get a very good deal. Prices go up with age, so you might find that the cruise line's insurance is a better price for the same coverage. Happy research.

Yo-

Used to purchase my travel insurance from our AAA club - until I discovered http://www.insuremytrip.com and their wonderful way of doing business-

They give you multiple choices of companies and coverages - and you can check a box next to a coverage and see it compared with another that you have checked - which makes it real meaningful and helpful-

There customer service reps really know their stuff - like suggesting that you get insurance from a primary insurer, etc

The coverage that you are looking for is for the entire trip (airlines, hotels, and the cruise itself) - and the cruise lines are generally 30 to 40% higher in most cases-

It is also important to get your coverage as soon after you have booked as possible - 'cause if you wait over 14 days from when you first book the cruise - they will not cover you for pre existing conditions that are generally waivered by most of insuremytrips companies-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

We also use travelex, since it was one of those recommended by members of CC..Have never had a claim but others who have had claims, were very satisfied with either Access America or Travelex..With Insuremytrip.com you can do a comparison of all the companies..

We've always found that the carriers or travel agents insurance costs more than the on-line rates for persons in our age bracket, however as one poster said shipping company or agent policies can be less if you are in the younger age range..

Another reason not to purchase insurance through either the cruise line or agent is if they go out of business, you may not be covered..

Some on-line companies also sell their products through travel agents.. You are just not paying the agents fees if you purchase it directly with the insurance company....

It would be interesting to know if Consumers Reports has ever done a survey on travel insurance..

I take Access America never had a claim and hope I never will.

They insure my crossing every year and the whole month I travel Europe.

About 8% of your trip expenses.You can buy there insurance for every vacation not just cruising.

If you have a good TA who negotiates prices and helps you with details, then buy thru that TA. I always check the insurance premium on line w/Insuremytrip and directly with the agency. I've never paid more thru my TA than I would buying direct. The TA gets a small discount and keeps that as his/her fee.

thanks to everyone as well - we are sailing alaska this yr but spending a few dew days in anchorage before hand and booking things to do there on our own - so I really need to buy insurance to cover us from take off to touch down

THANKS!

Have always bought travel insurance thru insuremytrip.com. Have used Access America, TravelX and Travel Guard. Only claim was with Access America and they came through with flying colors. Paid me everything coming to me - just had to fill out some forms and, voila, there was my money.

Because my hubby is 76 and not well, we always take a policy that has a high amount of evacuation insurance ($300-$500,000). Hope to never have to use it. If you're young insurance is the cheapest part of the vacation.

Marsha

We have always used Travel Guard at the recommendation of our travel agent. Had one experience with them. We were scheduled for a Med cruise in late Sept. 2001. The cruise eventually sailed as scheduled but we weren't sure in the few weeks before that we could make airline connections to get there due to the Trade Center attack and all the resulting uncertainty right after the event (nor did we want to go at that point).. Travel Guard paid us for the full amount of our cruise, no questions asked.

It is also important to get your coverage as soon after you have booked as possible - 'cause if you wait over 14 days from when you first book the cruise - they will not cover you for pre existing conditions that are generally waivered by most of insuremytrips companies-

Be very certain to read exactly what a pre-existing condition is. I believe that in most instances, you will find that any condition you have that is currently being "managed" will not cause the pre-existing condition limitations to kick in. AS A DISCLAIMER-THIS IS NOT ADVICE YOU SHOULD TAKE AS A GIVEN-JUST MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I always take out trip insurance, but I never buy it until a day or two before final payment is made. It just doesn't make sense to me to pay a big, non-refundable premium when you are still in that time period where you can cancel your cruise and get 100% of your deposit returned.

Prices go up with age, so you might find that the cruise line's insurance is a better price for the same coverage. Happy research.

Unless cruise lines have drastically changed their travel insurance in the past few years, you will never get a better price from a cruise line for the same coverage. The only change in cruise line insurance that I've noticed is that some lines now offer two levels of insurance--IMHO to attract those who were put off of cruise line insurance due to lack of coverage, not price. The added level gives greater coverage, but at greater cost. Another factor I would consider is that if one had to make a claim, would you rather it be through an independent insurer or an agent of the cruise line? While I know legally they aren't an agent of the cruise line, I would still question the impartiality of a cruise line insurance provider.

My gut says you will still get better coverage through an independent for a lower price when you compare similar levels of insurance. If anyone is considering buying cruise line insurance, I suggest getting a copy of the cruise line's detailed coverage and studying it carefully. Too bad insuremytrip.com does not include cruise line insurance so you can do a side-by-side comparison to independent insurers!

We have found CSA to be the most cost effective for us and have used it for 4-5 trips and have had claims handled very effectively twice - once cancelling a trip due to a death in the family and once travel delays due to airplane problems...

If you are traveling with children there are some independent insurance companies that cover children sharing your cabin. We had that deal with Travelex a few years ago and currently have our children covered on our next cruise at no charge with Access America through AAA. This can cut your insurance premium by 50 percent if you are traveling with 2 kids.

Short story- Only had to make a claim one time. This was while on a Carnival cruise and we bought the policy through Carnival. While flying from NY to Florida to catch our cruise the airline lost our luggage (along with about 40 other passengers as well). While many upset passengers were screaming at the poor young women clerks of the airline- we decided just to fill out the lost luggage form and hop into a cab to the ship. When we boarded we went straight to the pursar on board and told her of our situation. She immediately asked us a few questions (airline, flight number etc) and then proceeded to give us some Carnival t-shirts, and toiletry packages. She said she will do what she can to recover our bags as soon as possible. "In the meantime try to enjoy yourselves" . We thanked her and went on to tour the ship, check out our cabin, and ate buffet lunch. Since we told her that we purchasd insurance she said not to worry and she would contact us shortly.

Sure enough after dinner we found 3 of our 4 bags at our door (only our dress clothes carry on bag was missing).

The next morning my kids woke up when someone slipped an envelope under our door. It was a note from the pursar who said our bag was found- taking a trip on a different Carnival trip. They will have it flown to us as soon as possible. In the meantime Carnival credited our ship board account $200, arranged for me to have a complimentary Tuxedo fitting and rental for the entire cruise and "feel free to purchase any clothes or necessary items through out your cruise". We went down to see the pursar the next day to thank her. We bought dresses for the children and a few outfits for my wife- and some other items of need. Our bag arrived on day 5 of the 7 night cruise and all the clothes were professional cleaned and pressed. We had a wonderful cruise. The interesting thing was when we got to the airport we saw alot of the same "angry people " who were arguing with airline personnel. They said Carnival did nothing for them except give them some drink tickets. The best I can figure was 1) it pays to buy cruise insurance-I recieved a check for over $800 to cover our costs a few days after we got home and 2) it pays to be polite to people (can't think of any other reason why Carnival took so good care of us) and not these other people.

Just thought I'd share this experience because of the topic of insurance and since Carnival sometimes gets some bad comments on these boards.

One more vote here for insuremytrip.com. We usually get Travelex or Travel Guard, but have also used Access America. The most important thing to me is the medical evacuation insurance. I have seen people removed from the ship or a remote location by helicopter to a large medical center, and the cost is exorbitant. Our medical insurance doesn't have that kind of coverage. When we previously used a B&M TA, the policies we bought from them were from the same companies, so it's just as easy to eliminiate the middle person and buy direct. It also gives you the opportunity to compare policies on line and get the one that provides for your specific needs.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking into Insurance for my October cruise and noted that CSA Luxe and CSA Freestyle Luxe offer return of premium if you cancel your cruise for any reason. Unlike most other insurances you don't have to purchase your policy within 14 days of your initial cruise deposit for some items to be covered. With CSA you have up until your final payment.

www.quotetravelinsurance.com rates the different types of coverage and also allows you to compare.

Does anyone know a ball park amount for med evac from a ship for an Alaskan cruise?

If the ship is underway in US waters and a med evac is required, it will usually be done by the Coast Guard at no charge. Of course that would be to the closest hospital or medical facility that can handle the medical emergency.

Archived