Boston rental car return

hew2nd

We are cruising in October on the Symphony out of Boston. We will be arriving in the morning of cruise day via rental car - probably Budget. Is the rental car return at the airport or off site. What is the best way to get from rental car return to the port?

Also, what is the best way to get from the port to the airport on the last morning?

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, hew2nd said:

We are cruising in October on the Symphony out of Boston. We will be arriving in the morning of cruise day via rental car - probably Budget. Is the rental car return at the airport or off site. What is the best way to get from rental car return to the port?

Also, what is the best way to get from the port to the airport on the last morning?

Thanks.

Do you mean Serenade from Boston?

Rental cars are “at the airport” and are accessible from the terminals via free shuttle bus. Budget also has a return location on Atlantic Ave near Long Wharf.  Where exactly are you driving in from?  Airport return will be better if you’re coming from the northeast.  Otherwise Atlantic Ave would be better if it’s open.  Avoiding the tunnels will save you the complications of settling out a tunnel toll with the rental company.  Uber or Lyft are your best choices to get around that area of Boston.

Yes, Serenade, sorry.

Coming from the NE - Hamilton. We'll be there the day before departure - Oct 4th.

I think Hamilton is NE of Boston, but it's been a long time since I've been there. 

That's helpful, thank you.

52 minutes ago, hew2nd said:

Yes, Serenade, sorry.

Coming from the NE - Hamilton. We'll be there the day before departure - Oct 4th.

I think Hamilton is NE of Boston, but it's been a long time since I've been there. 

That's helpful, thank you.

Hamilton is Northeast.  Coming from that area I’ve always gone on route 128 to route 1 (at the intersection of 95), to route 60 to route 1A to the airport.  However that can be a miserable drive depending on the traffic and the traffic patterns have changed a lot since I last did it.  Currently the route via I95 and I93 is showing as about 10 minutes faster, but you then have a tunnel toll to get to the airport.  If you were using that route, a rental return on Atlantic Ave would avoid the toll and dealing with the confusion at the airport.

1 hour ago, hew2nd said:

I guess returning at Atlantic Ave and then Uber to the cruise terminal sounds good?

For someone not used to driving in Boston, that’s what I’d recommend.  It’s a straight shot down Atlantic Ave to Summer St or Northern Ave to the pier.