Here's how bizarre the MoveUp thing can get...

Bruin Steve

2 hours ago, karolinatx said:

Woohoo, just got the email that my MoveUp bid for the FV on the 5/31 Solstice sailing was successful!

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Congrats!  Care to share how much you bid?

We will try to move up on another upcoming celebrity cruise. We are currently in a Celebrity suite, but will try for a Royal suite.  However we have time as we cannot bid yet!   Never had a Royal suite and what a treat it would be!!!

a special Anniversary coming!

On 5/27/2019 at 12:16 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

You imagine the goal would be to fill the ship from the top down and the software does all the work vs a human trying to figure this out. 

Really it's just an big optimization problem. The company wants the combination of bids makes for the overall highest profit.  They might even take a lower bid on a particular cabin if the total of all cabins ends up being more.

To illustrate, imagine you are a thief trying to grab the highest value of items from a display case. You have a constraint however in that you can only carry so many items (stuff is heavy!). So, you pick the combination of small and large items that you can carry.  This is an easy math problem for a person when you are talking about maybe tens of items. When you are talking about an entire cruise ship there are a ton of possibilities and this is done with a computer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_programming

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Really it's just an big optimization problem. The company wants the combination of bids makes for the overall highest profit.  They might even take a lower bid on a particular cabin if the total of all cabins ends up being more.

To illustrate, imagine you are a thief trying to grab the highest value of items from a display case. You have a constraint however in that you can only carry so many items (stuff is heavy!). So, you pick the combination of small and large items that you can carry.  This is an easy math problem for a person when you are talking about maybe tens of items. When you are talking about an entire cruise ship there are a ton of possibilities and this is done with a computer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_programming

100% agree, I just believe the overwhelming majority of the time in order to trigger a mass bid acceptance, a royal must receive a good bid.

I’ll also share as I just received the rejection emails. I’m on the 5/31 solstice as well, currently an OV.  Bid $255/person on a FV, $105/person on a concierge & $75/person on a veranda and they all were rejected.  I bid low and had very low expectations they’d be accepted.