Passau to Bucharest

jlf1

I am looking at this cruise with Avalon in 2020.  Has anyone done this itinerary?  Doesn't matter the cruise line.  If so, what did you think?

We have done 2 cruises back to back so far..........Rhine followed by Saone/Rhone. 

All comments/thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

Judy

We have noticed that Avalon is shaking things up a bit and offering some itineraries that are a bit out of the usual.  We are pleased with that, as we are now repeating some rivers, and enjoy the fact that the same river doesn't mean the exact same trip. 

We have cruised from Bucharest to Budapest (with Viking) - and have done Budapest to Nuremberg twice (AMA and Scenic).  We did look at a version of the one you are looking at - but starting in Bucharest and going to Transylvania for 2 nights before boarding the boat. In the end, we just booked Bucharest to Budapest with Transylvania (having already sailed the Budapest to Passau leg of the river twice)- only to have the trip cancelled 72 hours before due to low water levels.   Although we had already sailed this route, we were disappointed.  

We have rebooked with Avalon - for October 2020.  We have booked starting in Bucharest - going to Transylvania before boarding the boat in Fetesti instead of Rousse.  We get to the Black Sea - and Km 0 on the Danube --> we did not do that with our 1st cruise. 

Other than the Iron Gates, it isn't the most scenic of cruises.  But, we are OK with that. We have chosen to start again in Bucharest - as you cruise from an area of "have not" towards areas that have recovered more fully from the previous communist regime.  If you have the time (and the financial resources) I would suggest adding Transylvania to your cruise. That was my one regret on our 1st cruise - and so wanted to make sure we made it on this cruise.  Also, am looking forward to seeing the start of the Danube river. 

One thing you don't get on the cruise you are considering is much time in Budapest.  Budapest is one of our favourite cities in Europe - and would always opt to spend an extra few days there if possible.  If you cruise right up to Passau, you only get a day in Budapest.  I would do Budapest on my own - as the city is easy to navigate (and probably cheaper than booking it through the cruise line). 

One of the other options is going to Munich - and then going to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein Castle.  Now, the castle is awesome - and I am so glad I have seen it.... BUT, we did it on our own, driving through Germany with friends.  It would make for a very long day if you were seeing it as a day trip from Munich... Just my 2 cents worth here...

Hope this helps...  Please post again if you have anything further I may be able to help with.

Fran