Packing for a longer cruise

eddie11

Have any folk experienced in longer (4 weeks +) cruises, to warmer climes, got any top tips about what “extras” to pack?  I’ve been giving it some thought and come up with the answer “Nothing you wouldn’t take for a two week cruise - just more of some things”

Am I right, or are there items to enhance those extra, warm, days?

Guest ccpm

I work on 7 days when fly cruising for day time all mix and match - wash and repeat. Often do long cruises and it works well. Night time will take as many lightweight cocktail/evening dresses as will fit the baggage allowance - just rotate. Have to say my best was 28 dresses with 10kg extra luggage allowance but that was for 50+ days  

On longer cruises I tend to get to the point where I get fed up with alcohol so cut back on the G&Ts on the balcony and opt instead for fruit squash. You get the tiny bottles of concentrate that makes up 20 drinks so worth packing a couple to use with iced water.

Again  the sea day entertainment starts to pale on a longer cruise so I take extra books / downloads.

I'm wondering about this too - our next cruise is 22 days and my longest previous cruise is 15.  Also we are sailing to Dubai and Oman so very hot weather to be factored in.  We have six formal nights so I'm thinking of rotating dresses and separates.  Luggage allowance is 23kg as it's a fly cruise so should be plenty.  Expecting a deck party or two so I guess I should find a bright coloured frock. For going ashore in Dubai and Oman I'm thinking long loose trousers and shirts.  No way I'm doing any washing so will have to squeeze in lots.  Also gym gear to fit in!  Apologies for the thinking out loud nature of the reply.  

We flew from Australia to Heathrow last Boxing Day, stayed 10 days in the UK and boarded the Arcadia for a 7 week cruise back to Australia, so we had to pack for the British winter and the hot [what we thought would be humid climate] but the weather in the Pacific was not humid or hot. So we had taken too much summer clothing.  I would recommend on a long cruise take a hanging device to put over the bath/shower to do a lot of handwashing yourself.  It soon dries in the air-conditioning as well as our skin! All undies and socks and T shirts I hand washed.  It becomes expensive if you send the washing out to be done unless you have a suite and the washing is included in the price.   I also took a block of soap to use, not liquid.  I took Sard Wonder soap that lasted the duration.  It got the clothing nice and clean and smelt fresh. I was so grateful for that little bar of soap it saved us a lot of money!   Clothing out on the balcony is not permitted, but when we got to a port for several hours we did put clothing out on the chairs to air and dry. But not over the railings they would blow away. We would not do that cruise again as that time of year in the Pacific was not very warm, the warmest areas where the Caribbean, Mexico and Fiji. I would take a good parker jacket that is light and blocks the winds out when you layer your clothing.

Edited by Kalleroo
missed out a sentence.