Scotland,Iceland,Greenland ports of call

I and my wife will be taking a cruise this summer with the following ports of call:

Lerwick,Scotland 

Akureyri,Iceland

Isafjordur,Iceland

Prins Christian Sund,Greenland

Nanortalik,Greenland

At which of these ports do you think taking an excursion would be an absolute must and which ones we can explore on our own? And if you do recommend excursions which ones do you think are the best, particularly for nature/scenery?

We appreciate your help and suggestions.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Glad you made it over here from the British Isles board.  :classic_smile:

I've already given you (on that board) one of the links from this forum to info on Nanortalik.  As I said in that thread, it's a charming little town (no excursions, just walk around), and I highly recommend seeing the Open Air Museum there.  (The residents will likely have a schedule for your ship, including performances by a local choir.)  Also, Prins Christian Sund is a spectacular day of scenic cruising; I do hope your ship can make it into the Sund.  (Ice and/or wind can prevent this.)     Here's that thread again (in case anyone else is researching as well), including some of my photos from Nanortalik and Prins Christian Sund:

We had port calls last summer in Akureyri and Isafjordur as well.   In Akureyri, I strongly recommend taking a private tour outside the town that takes up most of the day and visits such beautiful sites as Goðafoss waterfall,  Lake Myvatn, Dimmuborgir, Hverir, and more (often including optional time in the Myvatn Nature Baths -- think Blue Lagoon but less touristy).   See more info on this thread:

Isafjordur is a very tiny town.  A bunch of us on our Roll Call took a private tour to the multi-tier Dynjandi waterfall.  It's a good ways from town, and one of the most spectacular parts of the drive was going through a really long one-way two-lane tunnel (with an intersection in it no less and a road going in a different direction!).  Some folks spend the day there walking around the town.    These threads have info and photos:

I hope that's helpful.

Edited by Turtles06

Akureyri was our favourite port. We had a lovely sunny day and pre booked a tour with FAB tours. We had an amazing day and saw lots, our guide was very informative and as there were only 8 of us we didn't have to keep waiting for people. The guide dropped us in Akureyri so that we could walk through the little town on our way back to the ship.

Lerwick we also loved.  Decided to hire a car in advance do we could get straight out on the road. We drove down to the lighthouse, beautiful scenery and we saw puffins and other seabirds. Then  to Jarlshof and up the east coast where we walked on the beach at St. Ninians Isle. The roads are very quiet,  easy driving