Trip Cancellation and Trip Interuption Insurance

I always purchase insurance when I make the Final Payment.  But I'm fairly certain that you can purchase it any time you want.  You should have no problem purchasing it now for a July cruise.  There are some things that won't be covered though (pre-exisiting conditions, etc.).  Look on "insuremytrip.com" and compare policies.

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, evelyn51 said:

Is there a cut off date (We are to sail from Bayonne in July) to purchase the insurance.  Given the weather of late, and hurrricane predictions we are wanting coverage.  

If you're buying 3rd party, some coverage such as pre-existing condition and cancel for any reason may not be available if it's too far out from the original booking date. Read the policy carefully.

You can purchase insurance anytime.  The look-back period will vary by policy.

If you are concerned about weather, you will need a cancel for any reason policy which will be expensive.  Most times the ship will sail and just because you don't want to sail, it's only refundable if the ship goes nowhere for your entire scheduled cruise.  Not likely to happen.

• Like 1

Have sailed from Bayonne for almost 20 years, including during a January blizzard and a couple of hours ahead of hurricane Hermine.  Both times ship left as scheduled. 

Wouldn't worry.  Captains are very good at steering around bad weather.  Might just get a little rocky for a while.  

• Like 1

Certain credit cards include trip insurance. Mine does, but doesn't include medical. However, buying medical is a lot cheaper and can end up even better. For example, the medical-only policy I bought has zero deductible, so even if I THINK I'm getting sick, I'll go to the ship's doctor.

I buy it as soon as I put a deposit down. Then modify and increase it as soon as I buy flight, get hotel, etc. That way I stay within what is usually a short window (depends on insurance and policy) for the pre-existing condition clause.

• Like 1

Have been impacted by hurricanes several times.  Mostly the ship just goes to different ports.  In the one case where Port Everglades was closed the ship stayed in the western Caribbean for three extra days.  Those people needing to get back got ability to make calls to reschedule flights and transportation to local airports.  Everyone else got free extensions of things like beverage packages and calls to reschedule flights.  Next cruise was shortened to four days.  People booked on that could cancel with full credit or they could sail and get 50% back as onboard, 50% as future cruise credit (essentially a free cruise).  Plus a bunch of flight change credit.  So a hurricane is NOT the reason to buy insurance.

RCI insurance covers medical, evacuation and some cancellation features.  In most cases if you cancel before final payment the most you lose is $100, so many people don't actually buy insurance until final payment (but if you need pre-existing it is worth buying earlier).  There are private companies that even offer compensation if you miss a port.

Check the insurance forum for lots of information.

• Like 1

We use Allianz and buy an annual policy  for all travel not just cruising . Different plans with high limits . Chose what’s best for you . 

Edited by ssb