Best Time to Buy a BalconyCabin: Sooner or Later?

dongordon

What would be the best time to purchase a Balcony Cabin....way before the sailing date or close to the sailing date.

Don't like inside cabins and love having a balcony.  I am concerned that a balcony cabin might not be available if booking close to the cruise date.

Would I get better pricing purchasing over a year in advance or closer to the sailing date (a month before).

I realize that I could always get my deposit back before the full amount is due but if I really wanted a certain cruise, what is the better option?

It's supply and demand, if you are happy to travel outwith peak times and have the flexibility to go at any time then it may be worth waiting for a late deal.  If you are restricted to a particular sailing then it may be worth booking early.  My experience is that in general prices increase from the day they are released until you get within a couple of months of the sailing.  If they need to fill the ship you may see a price drop, if they don't the price will continue to increase until there are no cabins available.

In our 77 cruises, I can tell you that only rarely do rates drop after initial release.   We always book at least a year in advance just to take advantage of the low rates.  If rates do by chance drop you can always cancel and rebook.   But when doing so be sure to take into account any perks you may have received.  When we booked our Jan 2021 cruise they were offering a take all offers promo, along with $100 OBC for balconies, currently you can also use 2 CruiseNext certificates if booking a balcony.   We like the larger angled balconies that are the same price as regular cabins, and those go quickly - another reason to book early.

My advise is to go ahead and book, you can always cancel or adjust your reservation without penalty so long as you do so prior to penalty phase.

The cheapest rates I see on NCL are a week or two prior to sailing. For instance, right now you can get a balcony guarantee sailaway rate for $549 per person for the June 10th 7 day Alaska cruise (Seward to Vancouver ). Total price for cruise fare and port taxes ends up right at $1,568 for two people. That's a deal!

I suspect the cabin they choose for you will be above the theater on deck 8, but it could be anywhere they have a spot open. If you're particular about cabin location you can spend another $300 and select your cabin. Perks they "give" you might drive the price up due to mandatory gratuities on the perk, so you have to watch that.

If you're flying to the port then air fare is also a consideration. It can be much higher if buying without a lot of advanced notice.

Usually, very, very early purchases or these last minute ones are going to be the cheapest. Up until final payment you can usually do the cancel / rebook thing, but I suspect NCL will follow the lead of some other lines and make deposits non-refundable soon.

Some people live near a cruise port, like in South Florida and can book last minute cruises.   We don't cruise the Caribbean and usually go to Europe, Asia, South America or Australia/NZ, so we always book early.   We find that prices generally get higher for about 2/3 of our cruises, but we keep up with the new prices and if they go down (prior to final payment) we get the new low price.

Also, we always combine a cruise with a land trip and that requires planning and usually advance booking of air. Late air booking can be expensive.

40 minutes ago, fshagan said:

The cheapest rates I see on NCL are a week or two prior to sailing. For instance, right now you can get a balcony guarantee sailaway rate for $549 per person for the June 10th 7 day Alaska cruise (Seward to Vancouver ). Total price for cruise fare and port taxes ends up right at $1,568 for two people. That's a deal!

I suspect the cabin they choose for you will be above the theater on deck 8, but it could be anywhere they have a spot open. If you're particular about cabin location you can spend another $300 and select your cabin. Perks they "give" you might drive the price up due to mandatory gratuities on the perk, so you have to watch that.

If you're flying to the port then air fare is also a consideration. It can be much higher if buying without a lot of advanced notice.

Usually, very, very early purchases or these last minute ones are going to be the cheapest. Up until final payment you can usually do the cancel / rebook thing, but I suspect NCL will follow the lead of some other lines and make deposits non-refundable soon.

I saw that $549 deal too.  Best part?  ZERO single supplement! 

I spent the whole night last night trying to figure out how to get to Anchorage without breaking the bank.  No luck!  Lol 

NCL tend to have best deals last minute.   More so than other lines, especially if you cruise solo.  

Definitely book late for the best deals!     Late as in,  a week or two weeks before you want to cruise.

I just got back from Bermuda on the Gem.   I booked 8 days in advance and got a Mini Suite for $729 from a major online site.    That's a huge savings you'd never get booking early.    

Usually the best deals are last minute but you have to be willing to not get exactly what you want!! We are on the Joy in June and had a Balcony with no perks. The cost for a mini-suite with all 4 perks dropped to the same price we paid for a balcony with no perks. Called and they moved us to the mini-suite and gave us all 4 perks but had we waited we could of gotten a balcony with all 4 perks for about $1000 less than we paid back in February. If you can do last minute then do it!!