Questions about dining

nijh

Been a while since I’ve been on Costa and seems there’s been some changes - at least according to what I’ve read.  However I know what you read isn’t always the case, so thought it may be a good idea to ask here.....

If regions / ships are different, we’re looking at Mediterranea in the Indian Ocean.  Balcony, not suite.

Buffet.

I’ve read that there is no buffet after about 5pm.  So if you don’t want the MDR, or come back on the ship late, you can’t just go to the buffet instead.  Is that true?  Any other non-pay meal options if so?

Pizza / burgers

On other ships we often just grab a piece of pizza or a burger from the buffet / pool grill for lunch.  I’ve read that the pizza is chargeable.  Is that correct?

MDR

I've read that there are only 2 choices on the MDR menu for the main course.  Is that right?

Are there tables for 4 available or do you have to share?  I know a lot of people like to meet new friends and chat over meals, not our thing.

Breakfast - what time is that served until in the MDR?

Thanks in advance.  I’m trying to address the questions of all our small group so we know what to expect and can enjoy the cruise from the outset.

N

HI - We have only cruised one Costa cruise before but the buffet was open for breakfast lunch and dinner and so was the main dining room.  Pizza is a cost item  (around $8) and usually just like a specialty restaurant and is not always open.  A lot will depend on which ship you choose rather than which region.  different ships have different facilities.  The smaller ones less and the newer and larger ships more.

Hi,

Hi they did experiment closing the buffet at night but now in general it is still open until 9 pm this also depends on ship size & use, the Mediterranea is a small ship & normally does not need to open late. Bear in mind though when the ships tours get back the buffet is always open for those who would rather eat later.

There is only two choices now in all restaurants but 5 courses so you have still a good selection, plus three or four pay for dishes. You may select a table for two/four in MDR but availability comes first, ( see Maître 'd if not happy) 

Breakfast in One MDR is normally from 7.30  to 9am but again depending on ship docking & tours.

Don't forget you can get room service free in premium cabins this still includes some main dishes. 

Can someone please enlighten me? 2 choices of what? If the menus have changed since we last cruised in Febr/March that will probably mean for the main course one vegetarian dish and one other. Seems rather odd.

There are usually a starter course, followed by a pasta course, then main and dessert. Cheese in between. That will make the 5 Tenpin has mentioned.

We won't be on a Costa ship again this year so unable to give any feed back. Anyone else able to help?

Riana

I have only been on 3 Costa ships but there has been a lot more than 2 choices of main course.  Would say a choice of fish, two or three meat choices and a vegetarian.  There is also the everyday menu which consists of chicken breast,  salmon,  spaghetti with tomato sauce etc.

This is MDR not pay restaurants. Have never had to pay extra on Costa.

Not sure where Tenpin gets only two choices..

There has been tables for two and four and larger. As I sail solo I like to share larger tables. They do seat English speaking guests together.

Breakfast in MDR is usually 8am to 9.30 am on sea days.

• Like 1

Hi MaryAnn,

Sorry but Costa's 'war or waste' is now in force which means every restaurant serves same two choices even in the Club Restaurant although there are several other choices you can purchase, & they will always try to get something else if you don't like their menu. The days of being able to choose a steak, salmon or chicken are long gone. Although to be fair we have not cruised the Caribbean for about six years so might still be available there.

I wonder if this is just for the Med cruises. I was on the Costa Fortuna in March from Singapore to Rome and there was plenty of choice plus as I said the every day menu. Never had to pay an upcharge for the every day menu.

Just got out a menu from 2001 Atlanticia in the Caribbean for Christmas, seven main courses, pasta cooked in front of you in MDR, five deserts, two soups, six starters plus cheese board.

Bit different from Favolosa three weeks ago as I said just two mains & beef six day out of seven in club D.R.

Saying that food waste must have been vast, and I could understand that looking at the buffet even now.