wineries in tauranga or akaroa

jenster6

looking at visiting a winery in Tauranga ,most of the tours seem to go to Rotorua or Hobbiton, but we will have already done this pre cruise. does anyone know if there is a wine tour, or is it a case of just getting a taxi to one thats nearby. our other choice is one near Akaora , has anyone done either of these please.

Mills Reef Winery is the only one I know in Tauranga. I haven't been there for many years but their wines have always been excellent. They have a tasting room and a restaurant that is open for lunch. You'd probably have to get  taxi or arrange a private tour. The winery might be able to advise you if you contact them. www.millsreef.co.nz

I'm not sure about Akaroa. I have seen people mentioning doing a wine tour there but am not sure how they arranged it. There did seem ti be quite a few tours on offer at the entrance to the wharf when we were there earlier this year.

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Mills Reef Winery is the only one I know in Tauranga. I haven't been there for many years but their wines have always been excellent. They have a tasting room and a restaurant that is open for lunch. You'd probably have to get  taxi or arrange a private tour. The winery might be able to advise you if you contact them. www.millsreef.co.nz

I'm not sure about Akaroa. I have seen people mentioning doing a wine tour there but am not sure how they arranged it. There did seem ti be quite a few tours on offer at the entrance to the wharf when we were there earlier this year.

Mills Reef Winery is closing or may have already closed. I suggest you google to see options and local tours.

5 hours ago, MargoK said:

Mills Reef Winery is closing or may have already closed. I suggest you google to see options and local tours.

Are you sure? There is nothing to that effect on their website. 

That would be a very great shame. They've been operating since the late 80s or early 90s, making very good wines, and also operated a wonderful function centre - I went to a wedding reception there once and it was excellent. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I finally found some info about it. At some stage Mills Reef Winery will be relocating to somewhere else in the Tauranga region as they are being squeezed out by urban development. The article was a few years old but suggested the move would take place sometime in the future. I imagine they won't move until their new facilities are built and ready to go.

At the moment they are still operating in the current location and are advertising 2019 Christmas parties.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1