Veranda and Deluxe Veranda Chairs

carollouise

Hello!  We are new to Viking.  The comfort of the stateroom chairs is very important to my husband. He has back/hip/and bursa pain nonstop. We booked a trip for 2020 in the Mediterranean, and now are in the process of deciding a stateroom for the Viking Homelands cruise later that year.  We booked a Penthouse Veranda on the first trip because the chairs looked like they may be more comfortable.  Could I get some feedback on the chair comfort in the Veranda and Deluxe Veranda's please? Has anyone experienced the difference? We would be perfectly happy in a regular veranda in the chair is well cushioned!  Thank you!

What’s comfortable for me may not be comfortable for your husband with his back issues. We’ve been in both a penthouse veranda & deluxe veranda. If you go to Viking’s website that pictures the various staterooms you can see that the chairs are identical. The PV stateroom is larger and does have a couch. The one thing I will say is that my husband found the desk chair the most comfortable because it wasn’t well cushioned. So again, it’s very personal. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback SrCruizer!  Very much appreciated because when we had studied the photos of the two cabin choices we thought that they looked different!  Guess it must have just been the angles of the camera and the side view opposed to the straight on view of the penthouse veranda.  You have been very helpful!

CC_STAR_Deluxe_Veranda_Bed_500x275_tcm13-78198.jpg

fullsizeoutput_50a.jpeg

I apologize and stand corrected. I just did the 360 degree tour of a Deluxe Veranda & Penthouse Veranda and the chairs are slightly different. A DV has 2 chairs that appear smaller and have what appears to me backs that are shorter. Penthouse has a couch and the one “easy” chair that seems more substantial with a higher back. Both staterooms have identical desk chairs. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

carollouise, speaking also to your husband's comfortable and maneuverability, there is another difference that I would point out between the two categories in question: the space at the end of the bed, the space you cannot avoid if you are going from the bathroom to the desk. I have issues with it in the DV and I don't don't have back/hip issues (I'm just broad in the beam).

I am a DV diva and the DV picture above is deceiving.  In actuality the space is not as wide as it appears to be in the picture. Even worse, in some cabins, there is a pillar right at the foot of the bed that juts out into the little bit (I dread stubbing my toe on it). The pillar is not shown in the 360 because not all of the cabins have it (most don't but in four sailings I have had it in two different cabins). Moreover, there is the TV that hangs on the wall there  that has to be dodged. I end up tilting my upper body to get through. There is no bureau at the foot of the bed in the DV, just the wall; it is a narrower cabin.

In the wider PV, there is a bureau at the foot of the bed and even if the actually space between bed and bureau is the same as in in the DV, the fact that you aren't pushed up against the wall and dodging the TV as you go may make a difference for him.

• Like 1

We have only done one ocean cruise with Viking (so far 😁 - we have 2 more booked). We originally booked a DV because when I looked at the cabins, even in the 360 view, they looked nearly the same except for the small chairs in place of the sofa. 

We were offered an upgrade to the PV for a very modest additional charge and took it. I was so glad we did.  There was so much room in the PV.  My husband who also has back issues loved the sofa. There is a lot of additional drawer space and as @Peregrina651 wrote there is also an easier walk between the bed and the credenza under the TV. And the closet is more conveniently located across from the bathroom, instead of next to the bed.

We recently did an Azamara cruise in a cabin about the same size as the Viking DV and I can’t tell you how many times I stubbed my toe on the legs of the bed trying to crab walk sideways between the bed and the wall without hitting my head on the TV. 

Our next 2 cruises are in PV cabins 😁

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all that responded.  I had my husband read your posts and he decided to not take a chance and go with the penthouse veranda. Maybe when we are sailing on our cruises we can somehow get a chance to view a deluxe veranda and take a look at the chairs and cabin in person.  Appreciate the info about the narrow passage from the bed area to the living room on the DV's......never would have known from the picture and that also helped us make up our mind. 

1 hour ago, carollouise said:

Thank you so much for all that responded.  I had my husband read your posts and he decided to not take a chance and go with the penthouse veranda. Maybe when we are sailing on our cruises we can somehow get a chance to view a deluxe veranda and take a look at the chairs and cabin in person.  Appreciate the info about the narrow passage from the bed area to the living room on the DV's......never would have known from the picture and that also helped us make up our mind. 

Probably a good decision!  We have been in both PV3 and DV2.  The first DV2 was our first VOC and it seemed fine.  Then PV3 which was quite spacious - we got spoiled.  Last cruise a few weeks ago we had DV2 again - but the room we had was like Peregrina talked about - it had this Pillar in it.  Didn't seem like much at first, but it really got in the way and with the TV and desk, it seemed really narrow passageway indeed getting through from bathroom to the veranda side of the bed.  I found some pictures that I took of it.  (Room 6048).

Hope this helps you and others!

331203605_DV2Roomwithpillar.thumb.jpg.e6d7855fc174333f4235247f390458fb.jpg

369239757_DV2Room-Chairs.thumb.jpg.84125e488dde8060b00fd68522bbc035.jpg

865409635_DV2Room-PillarTV.thumb.jpg.0f5b071c9c9920217b43613e1b111c19.jpg

1809880405_DV2Room-Pillar-BedClearance.thumb.jpg.fece3457f13e58dbb2039ca1f7196291.jpg

• Like 2

You will enjoy the PV---and at least you have the option of utilizing the sofa if that is more comfortable for your husbands issues.

One thing I will say about both the chairs and sofa---they are smaller scale and relatively low, with not very high backs.

I am 5'2" and was comfortable with the scale of the chairs/sofa. DH is 6'2" and he found the seating not so great for his height---lowness means little leg support for taller people (also harder to get up when your bottom is several inches lower than your knees). They are on the firmer side so if your husband needs more cushioning you may need to use pillows.

It really depends on what works for your husband. The chairs and sofas do have arms if that helps him with either settling into or getting up from sitting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broker1217 said:

You will enjoy the PV---and at least you have the option of utilizing the sofa if that is more comfortable for your husbands issues.

One thing I will say about both the chairs and sofa---they are smaller scale and relatively low, with not very high backs.

I am 5'2" and was comfortable with the scale of the chairs/sofa. DH is 6'2" and he found the seating not so great for his height---lowness means little leg support for taller people (also harder to get up when your bottom is several inches lower than your knees). They are on the firmer side so if your husband needs more cushioning you may need to use pillows.

It really depends on what works for your husband. The chairs and sofas do have arms if that helps him with either settling into or getting up from sitting.

The arms will be helpful, especially if they sit low.  My husband is 6 ft.  I am looking forward to the sofa too!  If he can't get comfortable in the room, it looks like there is an abundance of areas to sit on the ship.  At my age of 67,

I don't want time to go by fast, but I am so looking forward to sailing with Viking. We are sailing to Alaska in a week and a half with another line, and think I will be dreaming of Viking the whole cruise! LOL

• Like 1