Advice? Embark Rome, Athens or Barcelona?.

jimmieg

We just came back from a 14-night segment of this cruise from Barcelona to Athens. We have previously taken a cruise out of Rome. I agree with the comments that Barcelona is the easiest transfer between airport and port and - even more important - that Barcelona is the shortest flight from the United States.

However, I would only use this if I were booking the entire 21-night cruise and if I was not staying in Europe before or after the cruise. If I were booking a 7-night or 14-night cruise, then I would pick the itinerary I wanted instead of the airport. If I had a few days before or after the cruise, then I would pick the city I wanted to see. We booked this cruise because we wanted to spend six nights in Athens after the cruise - we had previously spent time in Rome a couple of times before cruises from there.

In the past, I have found more cruises starting or ending in Rome than in Athens, and this time we really wanted to see Athens. You can't really see either Rome or Athens as a port stop.

We got off in Barcelona and then got the high speed train to Paris for 5 days. Flew home out of Paris just a thought for you to consider the trains in Europe are super fast, it would have taken longer to get to the airport in Barcelona, load luggage, fly and collect it at the other end, than it was getting the train to Paris. The station was in central Paris close to our hotel again saved travelling time. We also got to see some amazing countryside from the train. This is also possible from Rome or Athens just to confuse you a little more 🙂 with some other options.

Edited by Te Aroha