Advice? Embark Rome, Athens or Barcelona?.

jimmieg

Summer 2020 Enchanted is doing 21 day round-trips embarking at all three above ports. (Can also be booked OW as a 14 or 7).  I have not previously traveled Southern Europe/Mediterranean.

My schedule is flexible. Cruise $$ are the same. 

What are the pros/cons of embarking/disembarking from each of the above ports? Thinking of air, airports, shuttle convenience to port, pre-stay hotel cost, etc.

What would you folks experienced in these ports suggest?

Thanks!

Embarked at Barcelona for recent cruise. Flew in morning of cruise as was less than two hour flight and part of cruise package.

Taxis at airport plentiful at flat rate of 39 Euros. ( Each way) We had booked minibus for 8 for 130 Euros  plus tip return. Excellent service.

Journey time approx half an hour.

Check in used two terminals as was large ship, Oasis of Sea ( RC)

Many people but check in less than 15 mins at 11 am.i

Rome is a good hour and a half from Civitavecchia..only visited as port stop. Booked minibus into Rome..traffic quite heavy .

( bus for 8 was 370 Euros return, good service)

Doesn't help with all of your questions but hopefully gives small insight.

Edited by Reina del Mar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Barcelona is very easy, the port is right in the heart of the city only a short taxi ride from the central city hotels. The cruise terminals are modern and well designed. Plus Barcelona is a great city to visit.

The port for Rome is Civitavecchia, which is an hour or more from Rome. I'm not sure what the cruise terminal facilities are like as we just had a port stop there and, I think, went straight between the port shuttle bus and the ship.

I think the port for Athens is also a long way out of the city.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you plan on flying in day of cruise (or just one day before as a cushion without any major plans to see the city) Barcelona is by far the most convenient. Also one of the few European gateways you can book early morning flights home on disembarkation day.

But if you want to spend several days in the city before embarking the ship you should choose between Rome and Athens. You won't lose the valuable travel time between the port and center of the city that the one day call there leaves you with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jimmieg said:

Summer 2020 Enchanted is doing 21 day round-trips embarking at all three above ports. (Can also be booked OW as a 14 or 7).  I have not previously traveled Southern Europe/Mediterranean.

What are the pros/cons of embarking/disembarking from each of the above ports? Thinking of air, airports, shuttle convenience to port, pre-stay hotel cost, etc.

Thanks!

Sounds like you're planning on doing the full 21-days so just looking for best starting/ending point.  As you're flying from CA, it's going to be a long flight just to get to the westernmost starting port of Barcelona.  While we have visited all 3 of your possible departure ports, we've only departed from Rome, which is several hours from the coastal port of Civitavecchia.  First time, we used the cruise line's transport from the airport to a "waiting place" before being bussed to the port.  [Overseas flights typically arrive at the Rome airport in the a.m. after a overnight flight and depart later that afternoon.]   The second time, we stayed a night or two pre-cruise in Rome, took the train to the port the morning of the cruise.  In Athens, the airport is about 30 min+ from the city and as a previous poster mentioned port of Barcelona is only a couple of miles from the airport so I would say it's certainly the most convenient.  Of course, you may want to spend some time pre-cruise in whichever departure port you choose so have to take that into consideration.  

Edited by BarbinMich
  • Thanks 1

If you haven't been to any of these cities before, I would cruise out of Rome. This gives you the chance to fly in a couple of days early and really experience what Rome has to offer. Yes, it is a long ride from the city to the port, but the distance also means that you can't see as much on a (really long) port visit to Rome. The Gothic Quarter and Las Ramblas in Barcelona are both really close to the cruise ship dock, making it perfect for a port of call. Ships for Athens dock in Piraeus which is not too far. You'll see more with the two latter cities as port stops, plus Rome really needs to be explored in a leisurely way with plenty of time to just soak up the atmosphere.

• Like 2

I done three TA cruises, one from each of the three ports.  Departing from California, Barcelona was the easiest and cheapest, followed by Rome, then Athens.  We will be doing our fourth TA in November, and we are departing from Barcelona. Athens required two plane changes, Rome and Barcelona only one.  

• Like 1

Athens is a pain to get to from the West Coast.  Barcelona is the easiest to get to by far and has a lot to do pre-cruise.  Rome would probably have even more to do pre-cruise but it's more of a pain to get to the cruise port.  Usually, roll call people will organize a group private transfer from the city center hotels to the port which makes it a little more economical.  So go with whichever interests you more - BCN or FCO.

• Like 1

Barcelona would be my choice, it’s a great city to visit and the cruise port is close by whether your arriving the day of the cruise or after a stay in town. Rome is another story, it’s Rome who wouldn’t want to spend a couple days precruise there, but an hour drive to port makes it a little more stressful to start there. Athens, the city can be seen in couple of days and port is fairly close by, that being said it would still be my third choice.

1 hour ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Athens is a pain to get to from the West Coast.  Barcelona is the easiest to get to by far and has a lot to do pre-cruise.  Rome would probably have even more to do pre-cruise but it's more of a pain to get to the cruise port.  Usually, roll call people will organize a group private transfer from the city center hotels to the port which makes it a little more economical.  So go with whichever interests you more - BCN or FCO.

Exactly. We will not start or end in Athens. Terrible (times) flights in and out, unless you want to stay overnight pre/post.

• Like 1

No one has mentioned this but both times we traveled between the port and downtown Rome is was less than an hour. The key was we were doing the commute on a weekend day. Both times we used Rome in Limo and they were great for both tours and straight transportation between the ship/hotel/airport. 

We have gone in and out of all 3 ports a number of times.  Agree Barcelona is easiest, from west coast American Airlines flights to Barcelona  and  Rome.  When we fly to Athens from the west coast we flight Air France thru Paris -- can fly from either of the other ports thru Paris as well back home.    This gives the option of seeing Paris as well.

We use Romecabs.com when we go in and out of Rome to get to and from the port- hotel-airport.  We usually stay and the Hilton at the airport in Rome, hotel has free shuttle into the city center.   Romecabs.com can be booked on line in advance and you pay on day of service in euros.  Very professional and reliable.  

We have stayed all over Barcelona, we avoid the tourist areas for hotels for the most part...lots of hotel options in Barcelona, Hiltons ad Marriott properties.    Taxis are cheap, easy to get around the city. 

Athens, have stayed at Hiltons, my all time favorite though was the Ledra Marriott in Athens

HOpe this info helps you make a choice that works for you. 

We love all three cities, but Barcelona is the easiest to fly into and out of.  Last cruise,  we embarked in Barca,  and cruise ended in Rome, so we tacked on three days pre  and post cruise.  

Coming from the west coast we’ve flown British Air routing through Heathrow, then on to Barcelona, and last Oct we got a nonstop from Oakland to Barcelona on Norwegian. 

On 6/3/2019 at 10:39 PM, jimmieg said:

Thanks!

All 3 cities are beautiful.  My favorite for departure is Barcelona.  Rome takes about one and a half hours to get to the port up in Civitecchia (pls excuse the spelling).  Athens too is a longer connection from airport to port.   Barcelona airport is the closest.  Also, and you should check this - a lot of the time the ships are in Barcelona they don't leave until 10 PM.  So there is an opportunity to get there in the afternoon check in and then get off the ship to tour the city (which is gorgeous).

Just another suggestion

Thanks for the info.  I had not noticed that we do not sail from Barcelona until 10pm.  That gives us another whole day in Barcelona.

We are sailing Crown Princess next May from Barcelona to Athens.  We plan to fly in a couple of days earlier for Barcelona and a couple of days post cruise in Athens.

I haven't checked flights yet as they are not posted; probably will go with EZ air from Princess.  They have been a good deal for us in the past.

I would appreciate any ideas regarding hotels (Barcelona & Athens) and tours for various ports.  I did post on my roll call, but it is sleeping so far.

Agree with Barcelona being an easy port to access. Taxis are plentiful at the airport and fares reasonable.

We flew in a day early and stayed at the small and charming Hotel LLeo, just around the corner from one end of Las Rambla, which is a great place to wander, sit at one of the outdoor cafes with a cup of coffee Americano  and soak up the ambiance of Barcelona.. Room rates were quite reasonable, and they gave us a complimentary upgrade to a room with a private balcony, which was a pleasant surprise. The morning breakfast buffet was very nice too, and the staff throughout the hotel was excellent.

I've cruised out of Civitavecchia a couple of times, and while the travel between Rome and the port isn't too bad, Barcelona is a lot more convenient, IMO. I've not cruised out of Athens, so far.

Edited by flamomo

Thanks for all the input folks!  Very helpful.  Weighing the pros and cons, at this point booked Rome departure yesterday based on Barcelona and Athens being easier for port day trips, and Italy where we might spend a couple extra days.

Anything can happen in 14 months, but have a cabin booked now.

Thanks again!

Like others I would suggest you pick which city you would like to spend your extra time in for your departure point.  We did our 21 day out of Athens but we had been to both Rome and Barcelona in the past.  If I had never been to any of them I would pick Rome as it is such a fascinating place to visit.

Hotels: Haven’t been to Rome since 2014 but just spent a week in Barcelona in March and several days in Athens a couple years ago. In Barcelona we stayed at the Hotel Olivia Balmes. It was in a great location, easy walking distance to many restaurants and an excellent shopping street; Ramblas Catalunya. If you walk south on Ramblas Catalunya it becomes the famous Las Ramblas at the Plaza Catalunya. Now we are avid walkers so our easy walking distance may not be so easy for others. There are many hotels closer to the port along Las Ramblas. There is another Olivia Hotel in the Plaza Catalunya but we didn’t check it out. 

In Athens we stayed at the Athens Gate. This was another excellent location right near the Acropolis and the associated museum. It has a rooftop terrace/bar & restaurant where they served a really nice daily brunch. Having breakfast with the view of the Acropolis was wonderful. It is also right around the corner from an area full of restaurants 

On 6/3/2019 at 10:39 PM, jimmieg said:

Thanks!

Another vote for Barcelona.  I would avoid Rome because of the airport.  We were stranded at the Rome airport after delay, delay and cancellation of flight.  Customer service and Rome airport is non-existent.  Took us 3 days to finally depart Italy.  50 euro taxi each way contributed to more expenses.  Won' t be flying into Rome again!

In Barcelona we stayed at Le Meridien Barcelona just off of Las Ramblas.  We had stayed there as we had hotel points to use. I'd highly recommend it. It was not that far from the airport or the cruise port (via cab for each).  There was a reasonably priced cafe across the street for breakfast. It was easy to walk to the market on Las Ramblas. We also walked to the Gothic quarter and it was easy to walk to a main hop on/hop off bus stop.  If you have not been to Barcelona I'd recommend the bus to get oriented to the city. 

We did a cruise back in 2011 and used the Best Western Premier in Rome.  It is located on the back side of Vatican City.  You walk out of hotel and follow the stone wall around to the front and you at there.  We purchased our tickets for Vatican City tour on line prior.  We walked to all the other sites in one long day on our own, so everything is close.

We used a car service that I booked on line.  We flew from southern California to Rome, had a car(mercedes sedan)pick us up at airport and drop us off at hotel.  Then car took us to port on start of cruise and then was waiting for us to take us back to airport end of cruise.  I am guessing, but I think it was $400 total for two.  Flying into Rome airport was easy, but flying out was horrible.  We had two hours trying to go through security and all the other check points - it was a mess.

We’ve embarked in Barcelona and Athens on past cruises.

My ranking would be:

1) Barcelona- beautiful city to explore, airport and port close to the city

2) Rome- tons to see and tour multiple days but is over an hour away from the port

3) Athens- Easy embarkation Port, but the city was dirty and didn’t make us wanna spend a lot of time there. The airport is about 45 min from the city. If you do choose this, stay in the Plaka, so sightseeing is walking distance.