Starboard vs. Port on Northbound Inside Passage Cruise

Jodes3822

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find it.  We will be on an inside passage Alaskan cruise next year (Vancouver to Steward).  We plan on getting an ocean view room.  I always seem to hear to get a starboard side room, but does it really matter?  This cruise costs a lot of money and I want the best possible vantage point for views!  What would I miss by being on the port side?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Would you mind telling us cruise line and ship?  How are you anticipating using your ocean view?  Depending on the ship, the heads of the beds will be under the window, and it is hard to see out.  And when the window IS accessible, it is usually higher than waist high, so you can't sit in a chair and watch the world go by.  Most seem to say 'of course, that's why you need a balcony.  I say get the window if you need natural light, to look out to see if it is raining, but your fiels of view will be limited.  Instead, get out onto the open decks and move around a lot.  Since you are going northbound, you will be in the lower inside passage from Vancouver, and there are views on both sides.  When you are out of that passage, but not yet into the further north one, you will be too far from the coast/shore to have much of a view.  So, starboard is fine if you can get one, but don't be distressed if you can't.  EM

We'll be on the Celebrity Millennium.  The pictures of the rooms do not show the beds under the window.  We plan on spending most of the time on the open decks.  That is very helpful.  Thanks!

Yes, Millie does have the beds on the side walls.  If you get one of the cabins on deck 3 in the conference center area, they will have larger round windows that you can actually sit by and see out.  They were added later from some conference rooms.  EM