Doing Fashion research

Jane110

Hi Ladies,

I'm doing some research and would really appreciate your input on this......

To the best of your knowledge, what are the differences between a:

Fashion

Trend

Fad

Style

If you don't know them all, just answer the ones you know.

Thanks,

Jane

Let's see - my views are as follows:

Fashion: Is all - Fad, Trend and Style

Fad: Goes out of "style" quickly. Dates itself.

Trend: What everyone is wearing

Style: You own personal fashion sense - what you tend to wear.

I don't know the dictionary defintion, but if you are just polling, this is my opinion on each:

Fashion- When I think of fashion, I just think of clothing, shoes and bags. There can be different kinds of fashion. Not all fashions definately have to look good, there is such thing as an ugly fashion.

Trend- To me trends are what is in at the moment ex. bell bottoms one year, fit and flares the next. Small purses one season, large purses the next.

Fad- A fad is like a trend, but to an EXTREME. Maybe down to the exact brand name. To me, a trend can still be worn when it is not a trend any more and look nice, but a fad item is usually a lil more extreme and it's reign comes to an end. Like when everyone was obsessed with Von Dutch hats or back when there were those MC Hammer Parachute pants. When they were hot, people wanted them in mass, but if you wore it now, you'd probably look foolish.

Style- To help define what catagory a fashion falls into: A preppy style or an urban style or a surfer style or a casual style etc.

I don't know the dictionary defintion, but if you are just polling, this is my opinion on each:

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm happy to hear people's opinions as well as any "dictionary definitions" they know or think they know.

Thanks for your input Val.

Jane

Hi Jane,

My curiosity is piqued. What is the research for? It took me a few minutes to put my thoughts into words but here goes:

Fashion: The tools used to establish a style. In a wardrobe, they are clothing and accessories.

Trend: The direction in which fashion is moving. There can be many at one time and a trend can last varying amounts of time. ie: Boho & Preppy- both trends. Trends that have staying power are later redefined as classics.

Fad: Short lived, must have fashion items.

Style: The overall aesthetic presented. A person's fashion choices, along with makeup, grooming and hair style contribute to one's personal style.

Fashion: This seems to encompase all things in the realm. It's more of a broad term to me. It could be current or classic.

Trend: This is something that comes in and out of fashion cyclically. It's not a constant classic fashion, but current and cyclical.

Fad: This is something that is totally out there that comes in very quickly and dies just as quickly.

Style: This is personal to me. Someone could have a classic style, a feminine style, a more masculine style, a casual style, a dressy style, a trendy style, etc... It all depends on what personal touches a person puts to their outfits, like color, cut, length, type of clothing, how well something fits, how in something is, their lifestyle, etc... It can also include accessories, hair, shoes, etc...

Ok, a few min break, rather think clothes/fashion than renovations, lol.

Trend - to go towards a certain direction, i.e, going towards flats in shoes

Fashion - a design, style, a broad general term of what is In or Out so to speak.

FAd - something that is IN quickly and out quickly in the fashion sense

Style - something that is of the moment in style in fashion. a way of dressing, your individual "style" of dress, a personal taste.

All of these words can apply to many things, not just "clothing, shoes, accessories, but in the home, in the workplace .

Brain not working to well, but that's my take.

style, a broad concept which encompasses a personality type and preferences in lots of different things. my style is classic as opposed to trendy. my style is less influenced by outside opinions or suggestions and more about what looks best and what i am most comfortable wearing.

fad, a passing here today gone tomorrow item or individual look.

trend, general direction that the current fashion intelligencia directs the consumers towards, such as your white for spring thing...or the wide leg pants that are everywhere.

fashion, means combining all of the above to keep it fresh and current while still appropriate for your age, body type and personal preference...

tough questions...

Hi Ladies,

Fashion

Trend

Fad

Style

Thanks,

Jane

I have not yet read the others responses but here are mine.

Fashion: Fashion is an industry. It is the designers, the sewers, the magazines, the clothes, the models, the button manufacturer, the pattern maker, the consumer, the ads, the whole gamut.

Trend: A trend is a particular following in fashion whether good or bad. Example: Grace Kelley made a particular Hermes Bag so popular, not only did they name it after her but the overwhelming consumer demand inspired a trend in handbag makers to copy the bag at a mass market price point.

Fad: A period of time in fashion. Example; The Ugg trend died out after the Winter of 2003.

Style: Style, to me, speaks of a woman or man of a certain age and station in life who has grown into her own look or style. Style is also synonymous (to me) with chic and good taste. Nicole Kidman has style, Paris Hilton does not. David Beckham has style, Tiger Woods does not.

Hi Jane,

Trend: The direction in which fashion is moving. There can be many at one time and a trend can last varying amounts of time. ie: Boho & Preppy- both trends. Trends that have staying power are later redefined as classics.

Soxfan, just a side note but preppy has been around since the 1920s.

Hi Ladies,

Fashion

Trend

Fad

Style

Thanks,

Jane

Not sure if I am correct with this but to me fashion is something that you can wear year in and year out-it never goes out of style-and if you buy this in quality it will look good still 20 years from now.

Trend-is something a designer comes up with that catches on and soon all the fashion houses or brands have come up with similiar things or variations-like now the tiered skirts are "in".

Fad is something that is caught on usually aping a pop star, movie star,TV star, ball player etc or other famous person (like Paris Hilton-who is just

famous for being famous) Ex. of that is the oversized pants the young boys do-or the slutty outfitslike the one caviergal described she saw on her flight.

Style-now that is a harder one for me-I think it can be a combination of trend and fashion-and sometimes even fad-but I think that is more each person's personal taste in clothing- there are differant examples-ones whom most appreciate like Jackie kennedy, Princess Diana-others we are just shocked by like Madonna-many who are just in between those examples- I guess I could go on and on-but to me style-is how a person reflexs his/her personality by their choices in clothing. I hope that makes sense.

Soxfan,

I'm doing this research to help me with a piece I'm writing for a client which talks about people's perceptions of fashion, style, trends and fads.

I appreciate all the responses.

Would love to hear some more!

Thanks,

Jane

In my opinion, the terms intertwine.

Fashion is a collective term for apparel and accessories. Fashion can be dictated by the time period in which it is worn.

Fads come and go in the "Blink of an eye."

Trend is the direction which fashion takes. The length of skirts, the fit of tops, dresses & suits, and the height of heels featured for the season.

Style is the way in which you adapt fashion and trends to suite yourself. It is your personal signature look.

Fashion: What is usally accepted as "in". This can be clothing, food, home décor, automobiles, art, hair...etc.

Fad: The look of the moment that will be gone shortly and replaced by the new "it" item two minutes from now.

Trend: The direction that fashion is going.

Style: This has a few meanings for me. First, it describes a certain look: the "80's" style, a classic style, bohemian style...etc.

The other can be a personal thing. Some people have their own style...it is very much a part of them, and really expresses who they are without overpowering them. Katherine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn come to mind.

Sounds like an interesting article Jane! Let us know how it goes!

~e

I don't generally go with fashion or trend. It's what I like. I really love vintage clothing and have some very flattering very old clothing that I love to take cruising with me. I think the beads and vintage look is really cool. I don't really care if anyone else does or not. Just so long as I love what I wear and feel good in it. When I cruise, it's all about me! And what I want to wear and what I feel comfortable in.

Soxfan, just a side note but preppy has been around since the 1920s.

Well, I guess that makes "preppy" classic now doesn't it? Just wondering if the whale ties, Cape Cod Red Khakis and Bermuda Bags that are rampant here on Cape Cod are classic, or out of date fads that were part of that classic look?

Jane, thanks for answering my question. It sounds very interesting! I hope you'll share it with us when you finish!

Well, I guess that makes "preppy" classic now doesn't it? Just wondering if the whale ties, Cape Cod Red Khakis and Bermuda Bags that are rampant here on Cape Cod are classic, or out of date fads that were part of that classic look?

Jane, thanks for answering my question. It sounds very interesting! I hope you'll share it with us when you finish!

Those Bermuda Bags and cords with whales are alive and well LOL!

Archived