Large balcony mini suite or connecting mini suite?

thatjoeguy

We (me, husband, and two kiddos who will be age 3 and 1) are currently booked in a large balcony mini suite on the Encore in February. My brother, his wife, and their will-be-1-year-old are planning to come as well, so we are contemplating “downgrading” to a connecting mini suite. Should we give up the giant balcony in exchange for only needing to keep one adult in the rooms at night?

27 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

How about connecting M6s?

There are many unless they are already taken.

We wanted to do that. Sadly, on the Encore, the majority are 4-2, not the 4-3 we would need. There is only one pair of 4-4 (and no 4-3s) and it’s booked. 😔

43 minutes ago, thatjoeguy said:

We wanted to do that. Sadly, on the Encore, the majority are 4-2, not the 4-3 we would need. There is only one pair of 4-4 (and no 4-3s) and it’s booked. 😔

I know that it seems crazy but those staterooms without a symbol actually sleep 3. There seems to be an issue with the booking engine but based on Bliss, the connecting staterooms sleep 3 or 4. 

For example 8724/8726 on Bliss and Encore are connecting and even though 8726 doesn't have a triangle, it sleeps 3. The video below is Bliss 8726 (ignore the description) and it sleeps 3 and shows the connecting door and sofa-bed

Is it possible that they are limiting people based on lifeboat capacity?

Edited by Two Wheels Only

7 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I know that it seems crazy but those staterooms without a symbol actually sleep 3. There seems to be an issue with the booking engine but based on Bliss, the connecting staterooms sleep 3 or 4. 

For example 8724/8726 on Bliss and Encore are connecting and even though 8726 doesn't have a triangle, it sleeps 3. The video below is Bliss 8726 (ignore the description) and it sleeps 3 and shows the connecting door and sofa-bed

7 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Were you ever able to successfully book 3 into that room?  When I called and spoke to someone there (I know all the problems that come with that, regarding getting different answers every time) they told me that only two could be booked into those rooms. 

2 hours ago, thatjoeguy said:

Were you ever able to successfully book 3 into that room?  When I called and spoke to someone there (I know all the problems that come with that, regarding getting different answers every time) they told me that only two could be booked into those rooms. 

I have never know of any mini suite that can only sleep 2. Every mini suite (or balcony) that I have seen has a sofa bed, so 3 is the minimum that they sleep.

My guess is that either the person you spoke to was wrong, or that it is lifeboat limitations as suggested above.

I’d phone again and specifically ask why they only sleep 2 when there is a sofa bed.

43 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I have never know of any mini suite that can only sleep 2. Every mini suite (or balcony) that I have seen has a sofa bed, so 3 is the minimum that they sleep. 

The only "sleep 2" mini-suite/balcony are the HC staterooms which don't have the sofa-bed.

44 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The only "sleep 2" mini-suite/balcony are the HC staterooms which don't have the sofa-bed.

OK, that makes sense.

So certainly not an issue here.

As a side note, we sail as a 3 and I usually book M6's on these ships. Whenever I have looked at availability I have always been offered a full list to select from as a party of 3.

I wonder what happens if the OP tries to do a dummy booking online for a group of 3 to see what options they are offered.

1 minute ago, KeithJenner said:

As a side note, we sail as a 3 and I usually book M6's on these ships. Whenever I have looked at availability I have always been offered a full list to select from as a party of 3.

I wonder what happens if the OP tries to do a dummy booking online for a group of 3 to see what options they are offered. 

I tried a dummy booking for 3 and only the "sleeps 4" popped up. As you noted, all should pop up for a booking of 3 since practically all can sleep 3.

When I spoke to someone about it (again) she stated something that amounted to “all could sleep at least three on the Escape, but things are different on the Encore.” I will be curious to see what the rooms look like when the ship finally sails.